Ranked Peaks for the Whole Family?

Colorado peak questions, condition requests and other info.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
    For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
madeinus
14ers: 41  2 
13ers: 77
Trip Reports (1)

Ranked Peaks for the Whole Family?

Post by madeinus »

I was wondering if anybody knew of any peaks, (any), that are with in about "Breckenridge" distance from Denver that have a 'paved' trail to the top, somewhere probably around 5 miles, under 12,000 feet that would be good for a baby toting dad and his pregnant wife?

So I can get different ideas, so far we have done, North and South Table Mtn's, Green Mtn in Lakewood and Boulder, South Boulder Pk and Bear, Devil's Head, Evergreen Mtn, Mnt Gennesse, Falcon, Chief and Squaw, Bergan, Morrison, Lookout Mtn, Dinosaur Ridge.

I don't know of any more, any suggestions?

Thx

Nick
jdorje
14ers: 12 
13ers: 27
Trip Reports (16)

Re: Ranked Peaks for the Whole Family?

Post by jdorje »

In RMNP there's a road that goes over a 12000' pass. From near the top of that road there is a short paved trail up to a high point (unranked, i assume) around 12300'. Very suitable for children or the elderly, IMO.
"I don't think about the past, and the future is a mystery. Only the present matters."
ChrisRoberts
14ers: 12 
13ers: 10
Trip Reports (0)

Post by ChrisRoberts »

jdorje wrote:In RMNP there's a road that goes over a 12000' pass. From near the top of that road there is a short paved trail up to a high point (unranked, i assume) around 12300'. Very suitable for children or the elderly, IMO.
"Fall River Pass Mountain", and I beleive its closed this year for repaving. Lots of construction fencing and yellow tape each time I drive past AVC
Some rise, some fall, some climb to get to terrapin
NoCoChris: Now with less Colorado!
edhaman
14ers: 15 
13ers: 14
Trip Reports (0)

Post by edhaman »

I'm a little confused about what you mean by "paved," since most of the examples you gave are not paved. Colorado Mines Peak from Berthoud Pass has a dirt road to the top at 12,493 feet. It's only about 1.5 miles one-way, with 1,200 feet of elevation gain.

P.S. Does a peak become "ranked" when someone poops on the summit?
Layne Bracy
14ers: 58  15 
13ers: 179 9
Trip Reports (13)

Post by Layne Bracy »

Lily Mtn (just north of Longs Peak) would be similar to your list.
Jim Davies
14ers: 58  1 
13ers: 67
Trip Reports (5)

Post by Jim Davies »

You might like Spruce Mountain, which is just north of Palmer Lake. 5 miles including a 3-mile loop that circles the top of a wooded mesa with rock outcroppings, ~500' elevation gain, smooth well-maintained trail.
http://www.everytrail.com/guide/spruce- ... trail-loop" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Climbing at altitude is like hitting your head against a brick wall — it's great when you stop. -- Chris Darwin
I'm pretty tired. I think I'll go home now. -- Forrest Gump
Derek
Trip Reports (57)

Post by Derek »

Layne Bracy wrote:Lily Mtn (just north of Longs Peak) would be similar to your list.
^ Thats a good one. Great views.

**edit: Looks like you did evergreen already. Never mind!
csmcgranahan
14ers: 40 
13ers: 51
Trip Reports (0)

Post by csmcgranahan »

+1 Spruce Mountain - wife did it while pregnant.
madeinus
14ers: 41  2 
13ers: 77
Trip Reports (1)

Post by madeinus »

Thanks everyone! I knew there had to be more than just what I knew about around Denver; I'll look into all the suggestions. Let me know if anybody can think of anything else, thx again!