Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

Dispersed camping site near La Plata SW approach TH?

Trailhead conditions, directions, roads, parking, camping, etc. Trailhead Info/Status

Dispersed camping site near La Plata SW approach TH?

Postby boleslav » Fri Aug 24, 2012 5:05 pm

Looking at the trip reports and excellent photos, the SW approach seems to go through a stunning mountain scenery.

Are there any dispersed campsites in the area if we would like to climb La Plata and then stay few nights to explore the area?
thank you.

Re: Dispersed camping site near La Plata SW approach TH?

Postby screeman57 » Fri Aug 24, 2012 5:10 pm

Plenty of good camping around Winfield, and I think there are some nice sites close to the 4wd TH.
"Never measure the height of a mountain until you have reached the top. Then you will see how low it was." -Dag Hammarskjold

Postby realhillboarding » Fri Aug 24, 2012 5:14 pm

I just go back from that route and noticed a site about 50 feet off the trail in the upper basin near a stream crossing. Its within clear view of the trail so its not very private, but may suite your needs. It there are probably other spots too. Enjoy!

Postby dustysdad » Fri Aug 24, 2012 7:13 pm

Driving up the road from Winfield, there are plenty of nice places to camp. Road gets pretty rough, suggest reasonable high clearance & short wheelbase. It's a great route on LaPlata, much less traveled.

Postby huffy13 » Fri Aug 24, 2012 9:24 pm

boleslav wrote:Looking at the trip reports and excellent photos, the SW approach seems to go through a stunning mountain scenery.

Are there any dispersed campsites in the area if we would like to climb La Plata and then stay few nights to explore the area?
thank you.

Winfield is the place you will want to stay. Lots of camping places, a great water supply, Huron is nearby. It's kind of cool going over to a few of the old mining town structures and reading about the town. Another plus is that it has the toilet facilities...nothing fancy, but convenient. My kids and I have always seen lots of deer while we have been there.
Seems like the times that I need a mountain the most are the times that I can not get to them.

Postby bethtrombone » Sat Aug 25, 2012 5:57 pm

The road to the 4WD TH is not bad at all if you take it slow. There's a few camping spots if you drive past the 4WD trailhead along the river. Very scenic and serene, and this route up La Plata is lovely. Beware the incredible falseness of the false summit! :)
I can and will remind you of two of the most important facts I know:
1. Everything is part of the mystery.
2. It's never too late to have a happy childhood.
-Tom Robbins

Postby boleslav » Thu Aug 30, 2012 6:43 pm

thank you for replies.
the campsites you are referring to are past the road junction along 390.A toward the La PLata TH?
our car is not very suitable for any rough 4wd road.