Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

Soliciting some suggestions

Trailhead conditions, directions, roads, parking, camping, etc. Trailhead Info/Status

Soliciting some suggestions

Postby huffy13 » Sat Aug 25, 2012 1:40 am

After a successful hiking trip with my son's cross country team to Mt. Ouray last weekend and Pikes Peak last summer, I am now getting asked by the kids what I am planning for next year....problem is I really don't know. I have some ideas, but I know that there is a wealth of knowledge amongst the members here as to what would be an appropriate and fun trip that I could start planning for late July of 2013.

I really want to avoid repeating any peaks right now, otherwise I would just take the kids up Handies or Huron. I am thinking about San Luis Peak from West Willow Creek, maybe Princeton from the radio towers, maybe even LaPlata or Yale. I am also looking at 13ers since our Mt. Ouray trip went so well. Other than not wanting to repeat a summit, the other criteria would be that it be fairly close to a good road, not too terribly long, and preferably something no more than an easy class 2 hike. The kids do like having access to a shower, whether it be at a campground or even an inexpensive cabin...but that is not absolutely necessary, but it is preferred.

So what would some of you suggest?
Seems like the times that I need a mountain the most are the times that I can not get to them.

Re: Soliciting some suggestions

Postby EatinHardtack » Sat Aug 25, 2012 7:31 am

I will just say that I don't have enough good things to say about San Luis and the La Garitas. One of my favorite areas of the state.

Postby huffy13 » Sat Aug 25, 2012 11:11 am

EatinHardtack wrote:I will just say that I don't have enough good things to say about San Luis and the La Garitas. One of my favorite areas of the state.

I have attempted San Luis with my daughters from the Stewart Creek TH, but I haven't tried it from West Willow Creek, how would it compare, as far as difficulty, with the other peaks I have done? It looks really awesome from the TRs I have read, but I am curious as to whether or not the kids would be able to do it.
Seems like the times that I need a mountain the most are the times that I can not get to them.

Postby MtHurd » Sat Aug 25, 2012 2:35 pm

San Luis from West Willow Creek is LONG. I'm not sure what your definition of a good road is, but the road isn't too bad but it's dirt and a little rough in places.

Yale fits your criteria well and I love the view from the summit. Buena Vista is close by.

Postby Dex » Sat Aug 25, 2012 4:07 pm

huffy13 wrote: maybe even LaPlata or Yale.

I'd say these - there are places to stay, other things to do in the area and other mountains close by & easy to get to.
Montani Semper Liberi
"Please use the comments to demonstrate your own ignorance, unfamiliarity with empirical data and lack of respect for scientific knowledge. Be sure to create straw men and argue against things I have neither said nor implied. If you could repeat previously discredited memes or steer the conversation into irrelevant, off topic discussions, it would be appreciated. Lastly, kindly forgo all civility in your discourse . . . you are, after all, anonymous." Barry Ritholtz

Postby Buckeye-Annie » Sat Aug 25, 2012 4:25 pm

The Leadville Hostel is a really fun place to stay--you will meet lots of other interesting people. The place is huge and they often provide great meals at a low price. Showers and bunkrooms are cheap. The Leadville area has so many 14ers so close by. The town itself is a fun place with other things to do--mining tours, museums, etc. I like it so well I will probably be staying there for about five months beginning September!
The measure of a person's real character is what he would do if he knew he would never be found out.
http://www.AnnieUpHigh.com
Life as a Wild Child

Postby huffy13 » Sat Aug 25, 2012 6:14 pm

Barry Raven wrote:San Luis from West Willow Creek is LONG. I'm not sure what your definition of a good road is, but the road isn't too bad but it's dirt and a little rough in places.

Yale fits your criteria well and I love the view from the summit. Buena Vista is close by.

Yale is definetly a possibility...but I have been told that it is pretty steep on the last push near the summit. I would be comfortable with it, just not sure if all the kids would be. Yale is on my personal list for next year either way though. How big is Yale's summit? That is another concern I have, if we all are at the summit together, is it going to be crowded?

Buckeye-Annie wrote:The Leadville Hostel is a really fun place to stay--you will meet lots of other interesting people. The place is huge and they often provide great meals at a low price. Showers and bunkrooms are cheap. The Leadville area has so many 14ers so close by. The town itself is a fun place with other things to do--mining tours, museums, etc. I like it so well I will probably be staying there for about five months beginning September!

I have been hearing good things about the Leadville Hostel and I am going to give that location a strong consideration...I want to keep the trip as affordable for the kids as possible and Leadville is a cool little town...one of my personal favorites.

Again, any more suggestions on a good 14er or 13er hike that would be good for the teens would be appreciated!

Postby Jim Davies » Sun Aug 26, 2012 8:50 am

The standard route on Harvard is comparable to the Crags route in length and trailhead access (I'm assuming you climbed via Crags). It also has nice scenery and an interesting finish at the summit.

Whatever you do, don't do Princeton.
Some people are afraid of heights. Not me, I'm afraid of widths. -- Steven Wright

Postby Dex » Sun Aug 26, 2012 12:31 pm

Jim Davies wrote:The standard route on Harvard is comparable to the Crags route in length and trailhead access (I'm assuming you climbed via Crags). It also has nice scenery and an interesting finish at the summit.

I don't know Crags. But on Harvard the final 20 feet or so can be challenging. I've done Harvard 4 times and only once got to the top. It was during the summer and there were other people on the top who had a rope latter that helped me on the way up and down. I've then did it with snow on top and also avoided the top due to the snow and ice in the gullies. Those final 20 feet are something to consider.
Montani Semper Liberi
"Please use the comments to demonstrate your own ignorance, unfamiliarity with empirical data and lack of respect for scientific knowledge. Be sure to create straw men and argue against things I have neither said nor implied. If you could repeat previously discredited memes or steer the conversation into irrelevant, off topic discussions, it would be appreciated. Lastly, kindly forgo all civility in your discourse . . . you are, after all, anonymous." Barry Ritholtz

Postby Jim Davies » Sun Aug 26, 2012 1:21 pm

I'd call it no worse than an easy class 3, if you find the right way up. It's just a pile of medium-sized boulders with minimal exposure, as I recall.
Some people are afraid of heights. Not me, I'm afraid of widths. -- Steven Wright

Postby 14erFred » Sun Aug 26, 2012 1:45 pm

Jim Davies wrote:I'd call it no worse than an easy class 3, if you find the right way up. It's just a pile of medium-sized boulders with minimal exposure, as I recall.

Jim's right. The key to the final pitch at the top of Harvard's standard ascent route is careful route-finding. Take your time, keep your eyes open, and don't make any upward moves unless they seem like doable Class 2+ or Class 3. Getting off route could make this final pitch much more difficult and exposed than it needs to be. The easiest ascent route eventually moves right (eastward) as it goes upward to gain the east end of the summit. Just look around for the easiest way as you move up, and it is easily climbable. I recommend that you mark the point at which you gain the summit during the ascent, so that you can easily find this critical spot to start the descent. Good luck with the climb.
"Live as on a mountain." -- Marcus Aurelius

Postby huffy13 » Sun Aug 26, 2012 4:23 pm

Harvard is one that I am saving for myself. RJ_Denver has done all the Sawatch 14ers except Holy Cross and he said it was his most challenging Sawatch, so I would not feel comfortable taking a bunch of kids that don't belong to me. I am looking at the possibility of both Buffalo Peaks since they have tons of good campgrounds in the vicinity and, from what I can gather from TRs may not be too hard. I am focusing a lot on 13ers because I know I have pretty much gotten the easiest 14ers knocked off and I am finding that 13ers are just as scenic and unique as their bigger counterparts.

Thanks Jim and Fred, for the info on Harvard though...stuff I need to know for when the time comes to head that way.

Next