Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

New Grand Teton Record

Items that do not fit the categories above.

New Grand Teton Record

Postby Jeff Valliere » Thu Aug 23, 2012 8:42 am

Andy Anderson broke Killian's 10 day old record by :59, sticking entirely to the trail. Amazing!

http://outerlocal.com/hiking/andy-anderson-runs-grand-teton-in-253-news

Re: New Grand Teton Record

Postby MtHurd » Thu Aug 23, 2012 9:32 am

That's not just amazing, that's sick!

Postby Carl » Thu Aug 23, 2012 10:07 am

Impressive!!

I'm not familiar with these shortcuts Kilian used so I can't judge on the ethics, but it is cool that the standard is now clear, 2:53:02 no shortcuts.

Though the use of shortcuts, particularly at the 1.8-mile marker and at the southern end of one of the switchbacks higher on the Garnet Canyon Trail, is not uncommon, it is discouraged by the Jenny Lake Climbing Rangers.

Postby MtnHub » Thu Aug 23, 2012 10:51 am

Barry Raven wrote:That's not just amazing, that's sick!

+1

Killian probably took too long lounging on the summit. :lol: Quite an outstanding accomplishment however!

Postby FireOnTheMountain » Thu Aug 23, 2012 11:44 am

Carl wrote:Impressive!!

I'm not familiar with these shortcuts Kilian used so I can't judge on the ethics, but it is cool that the standard is now clear, 2:53:02 no shortcuts.

Though the use of shortcuts, particularly at the 1.8-mile marker and at the southern end of one of the switchbacks higher on the Garnet Canyon Trail, is not uncommon, it is discouraged by the Jenny Lake Climbing Rangers.

All I know is Kilian is not really one to follow switchbacks. Accorrding to him, in Europe they are allowed to cut the switchbacks...reason being it makes the course harder. Good thing the Speedgoat 50k taught him a lesson before he ran Pikes this year.

Still a baller though.
Everyday is a G r A t E f U L Day here in the CO

Postby Monster5 » Thu Aug 23, 2012 1:27 pm

Andy Anderson is a super nice dude, too. His advice is far more useful than most rangers' tend to be in popular spots.
"Mountains are the means, the man is the end. The goal is not to reach the tops of mountains, but to improve the man." - Walter Bonatti

Postby Jim Davies » Thu Aug 23, 2012 5:27 pm

FireOnTheMountain wrote:All I know is Kilian is not really one to follow switchbacks.

Not trying to cause trouble or anything, but I was watching the real-time Pikes Peak Marathon times, and somehow he missed the A-Frame time check. :-k
Some people are afraid of heights. Not me, I'm afraid of widths. -- Steven Wright