Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

Culebra TH Road from Ranch

Trailhead conditions, directions, roads, parking, camping, etc. Trailhead Info/Status

Culebra TH Road from Ranch

Postby Neil » Thu Aug 23, 2012 8:31 am

Howdy,

I'm embarassed to ask such a stereotypical question, but here goes. Can a Subaru Outback make the upper TH on Culebra? So you're not shooting in the dark: the car has AWD, reasonable clearance, and I have driven to the S. Colony Lakes, Mt. Lindsey, and upper Huron trailheads. I've also recently made Jaws 3. Just joking. Anyway, thanks for any input.

Neil
"On the edge of the porch in the warm evening night
Throwing the bone for the dog I see two passing lights
Well, I wonder where that driver's bound
Is there someone, somewhere, someway out there that I've not found"
-Driving Song

Re: Culebra TH Road from Ranch

Postby RJansen77 » Thu Aug 23, 2012 8:35 am

If you've made it up those roads you should be fine on Culebra. We were just up there two weeks ago, and there are a couple of rough spots, though I think the most bumpy section is actually the upper parking lot itself.
"But it doesn't matter if your in Valdez skiing out of a helicopter, or putzing around on a flat hill somewhere in Iowa. That adrenaline rush comes when you satisfy your most basic instinct, your own search for freedom."

-Warren Miller

I almost always wear a bathing suit when I climb. If you see me say hey!

Postby djkest » Thu Aug 23, 2012 8:43 am

Yep, it's pretty smooth. It's a little dusty and it does get very steep in a few places, but you should be A-OK. If you can't make the upper TH, we hiked from the "four-way" and it only took us about 15 minutes to reach the upper TH- nice little warm-up before the real climbing. Should be really pretty up there. I took this picture from near the four-way.

Life is a mountain, not a beach.
Exploring and Wine, my personal blog

Postby Tornadoman » Thu Aug 23, 2012 8:53 am

Having done both the Culebra road and South Colony Lakes in the past couple weeks, I will say that the road to Culebra is much easier. It is very steep in places, but as others have said pretty smooth overall. Also, the road didn't get any worse after Fourway in my opinion. My wife and I started from Fourway, and it is a nice short warm-up to the upper TH, with nice aspens, etc, and some nice views to the right that you will miss if you drive it. To me it was worth it to start from Fourway.

Postby Neil » Thu Aug 23, 2012 9:19 am

Thanks everyone...I apprecate the feedback! Normally, I would start at Fourway. However, after talking to Joel Gratz (a FANTASTIC meteorologist who runs opensnow.com and also has a great mountain forecasting service that I HIGHLY recommend), the storms are starting early tomorrow and not letting up. So, any time I can save to Culebra and Red is worth it at this point. However, thanks again for taking the time to respond and sharing your experience.

Neil
"On the edge of the porch in the warm evening night
Throwing the bone for the dog I see two passing lights
Well, I wonder where that driver's bound
Is there someone, somewhere, someway out there that I've not found"
-Driving Song

Postby dpage » Thu Aug 23, 2012 10:58 am

the storms are starting early tomorrow and not letting up. So, any time I can save to Culebra and Red is worth it at this point. However, thanks again for taking the time to respond and sharing your experience.

Neil[/quote]

Last year about this time I hiked C&R and decided to do the ridge for Roach's extra credit, Punta Serpintine? and was caught in a miserable storm coming back from Red Mtn around 1000AM. I wish in retrospect I wish that I would have aimed for the large cairn instead to make a beeline for Culebra.

Postby DaveSwink » Thu Aug 23, 2012 11:37 am

Go slow coming down. The road is pretty good but steep with lots of loose rock/gravel.

Postby mtree » Thu Aug 23, 2012 4:05 pm

You should have no problem on the road unless you get a downpour. Then it might get slick and your tires better be decent.

To save a little time - if weather becomes an issue - I suggest starting out by taking the steeper ascent to the ridge from the upper parking lot. You'll cross the stream immediately and head up a meadow to take the ridge hiking in a SE direction. As you get on top you'll see the large cairn. From the cairn, hang a right and follow the ridge to the summit. Use the topo map as reference. Have fun. It's a gorgeous hike.
"Cool Prius!" - nobody