Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

Directions from Telluride to Yankee Boy Basin

Trailhead conditions, directions, roads, parking, camping, etc. Trailhead Info/Status

Directions from Telluride to Yankee Boy Basin

Postby Willifitz » Wed Aug 22, 2012 6:28 pm

I'm hiking Mt. Sneffels on Sept. 14 and am looking for the best/quickest route from Telluride to the Yankee Boy Basin Trailhead. There seem to be several routes. Since I'll be in a 2WD vehicle which would be the suggested route to take? Tombay Rd./ Imogene Pass or Routes145-62-550?

Re: Directions from Telluride to Yankee Boy Basin

Postby dcbates80911 » Wed Aug 22, 2012 6:45 pm

I would highly suggest against taking a 2WD over Imogene Pass. A high clearance vehicle is necessary. You will want to go around to Ouray and start from that side, but I believe you will have to stop short of the TH in a 2WD.
There is a fine line between fishing and just standing on the shore like an idiot.

Postby sue personett » Wed Aug 22, 2012 11:22 pm

Camp Bird Road from Ouray BUT not with a 2WD! [-(
Namaste
Sue

Postby MtHurd » Thu Aug 23, 2012 6:33 am

sue personett wrote:Camp Bird Road from Ouray BUT not with a 2WD! [-(
Namaste
Sue

I did it in a 2wd Escape (FWD). It has 8.1 inches of ground clearance though. 4 cylinder was struggling but made it barely.

Postby ThuChad » Thu Aug 23, 2012 6:37 am

Willifitz wrote:I'm hiking Mt. Sneffels on Sept. 14 and am looking for the best/quickest route from Telluride to the Yankee Boy Basin Trailhead. There seem to be several routes. Since I'll be in a 2WD vehicle which would be the suggested route to take? Tombay Rd./ Imogene Pass or Routes145-62-550?

Up and Around.
http://goo.gl/maps/RJ7Is
I'm just pretending to be a poseur.

Postby colluvium » Thu Aug 23, 2012 6:56 am

Just did this in August ... found the trip from Tride over Imogene to be a challenging 2-hour drive in the dark in a well-equipped '99 4WD 4runner. Well, up and over Imogene was not so hard, but the drive down the other side at 5:00 am caught my attention. I wouldn't take 2wd if it was my own or a friend's. The return trip via Ouray was significantly faster - much quicker and less taxing on the brain. There seems to be a lot of activity at a mine between Ouray and the TH, which has resulted in significant road improvements though as a previous poster has stated you would need to do more walking than most. Enjoy, the climb is fantastic.

Postby Double Oh Seven » Thu Aug 23, 2012 8:17 am

Driving around to the south end of ouray is the only way i think you can do this with 2wd. I was in yankee boy basin in july road is in pretty good shape but from what i remember 2wd would have a tough time making the rerestrooms. Probably will have to park about a mile below that. The route description gives good details on the road.

Postby gdthomas » Thu Aug 23, 2012 8:42 am

High clearance 2WD vehicles can drive Ophir Pass. Here's a couple of links:

http://www.narrowgauge.org/4x4/html/ophir.html
http://www.traildamage.com/trails/index.php?id=106

Postby Wentzl » Thu Aug 23, 2012 9:56 am

This is a no brainer if time is the only issue. Stick to the paved roads over Dallas divide, through Ridgway and Ouray. Keep in mind that the Imogene Pass Run, held Labor Day each year was cancelled due to snow and ice on the pass a couple years back! Even if snow free the downhill from the pass to Yankee Boy will kick the crap out of you and take longer.

p.s. Last Dollar Road is no shortcut. Ophir Pass may look attractive, but won't save time either.

Postby ColoradoEd » Thu Aug 23, 2012 2:41 pm

Use the paved roads for sure. Telluride to Ouray is about an hour.

Postby Willifitz » Thu Aug 23, 2012 3:51 pm

The vedict is in, I'll be traveling the asphalt. That's the road I know and in the best of conditions and vehicle, doesn't sound like there is any time saved by the other routes. Thanks.