Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

camping at Huron

Trailhead conditions, directions, roads, parking, camping, etc. Trailhead Info/Status

camping at Huron

Postby Valarie1 » Wed Aug 22, 2012 3:40 pm

I am looking to hike huron this weekend and can't find camping in campgrounds...does anyone know if you can camp at the base or on the road up there? I doubt I can get my small camper up there so hoping to bring the tent??

Re: camping at Huron

Postby SurfNTurf » Wed Aug 22, 2012 3:41 pm

Lots of dispersed camping along the approach road, and some at the 4WD trailhead.
Many Miles to Go (Blog)

“There are two kinds of climbers: those who climb because their heart sings when they’re in the mountains, and all the rest.” - Alex Lowe

"There have been joys too great to describe in words, and there have been griefs upon which I cannot dare to dwell; and with those in mind I say, 'Climb if you will, but remember that courage and strength are nought without prudence, and that a momentary negligence may destroy the happiness of a lifetime. Do nothing in haste, look well to each step, and from the beginning think what may be the end.'" - Edward Whymper

Postby Jim Davies » Wed Aug 22, 2012 3:42 pm

There is a wealth of dispersed campsites there. There are even two "campgrounds" with pit toilets, one just past the curve in Winfield and the other by Clear Creek Reservoir.
Some people are afraid of heights. Not me, I'm afraid of white blood cells.

Postby coloradokevin » Wed Aug 22, 2012 4:24 pm

I seem to remember having a pretty nice site just off of the right side of the road, probably less than a mile up the road from Winfield (in an area before the road got tougher).

Postby screeman57 » Wed Aug 22, 2012 8:57 pm

Valarie1 wrote: I doubt I can get my small camper up there so hoping to bring the tent??

Last summer when I was there I saw many small campers at the 4WD trailhead.
"Never measure the height of a mountain until you have reached the top. Then you will see how low it was." -Dag Hammarskjold

Postby BrinBry » Thu Aug 23, 2012 5:04 am

We hiked Huron last weekend and there are many dispersed spots on the drive up to the trailhead. You'd be able to get a small camper up the road and camp before Winfield. We even saw a couple pop-ups and truck bed campers along the 4WD drive road.