Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

AT Boots

Info on gear, conditioning, and preparation for hiking/climbing. Gear Classifieds

AT Boots

Postby GregMiller » Wed Aug 22, 2012 10:11 am

I've been looking at AT Boots recently, and since Bill got the winter thread started:
http://www.14ers.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=26&t=37121
I figured I should ask you all what you like in the current crop of AT Boots.

For reference, I have (older) skis, bindings, and skins. I ski moderate to advanced runs at resorts, and am really looking into getting into ski mountaineering. Made an attempt up Castle last March in rented boots, and realized that I needed to invest in something for my feet. These will be primarily for ski mountaineering - everything from approach to summit and the ski back down. I might use them rarely at a resort, but mainly for mountains. I plan to hang on to these boots for a number of years, and invest in newer skis and bindings in the coming seasons.

So, what do you all like/dislike about what's out there now?
Still Here
been scared and battered. My hopes the wind done scattered. Snow has friz me, Sun has baked me,
Looks like between 'em they done Tried to make me
Stop laughin', stop lovin', stop livin'-- But I don't care! I'm still here!
Langston Hughes

Re: AT Boots

Postby Dave B » Wed Aug 22, 2012 10:18 am

Like: wide (and getting wider every year) selection

Dislike: price

Boots are the most important investment and can make the difference between misery and fun. Also getting Dynafit compatible boots regardless of you current binding system is a good idea.

I bought my boots from Sierra Trading Post (Scarpa Spirit 4's). I paid $250 and couldn't be happier, I think this is an exception more than the rule though.
"There is no cheating in climbing, only lying." - Semi-Rad

Postby nkan02 » Wed Aug 22, 2012 10:30 am

Saw a good sale at Neptune going on a couple of weeks ago - prices were better than at Bent Gate. I have Scarpa Maestrales and love them.

Postby Bean » Wed Aug 22, 2012 10:35 am

I'll be purchasing a pair of La Sportiva Spitfires once they're available. Fit well, and skied remarkably well for how light they are.

I'm done with my Maestrales if anyone wants to buy them. Too wide for me. Not a bad boot, just isn't for my feet.
gdthomas wrote:Bean, you're an idiot.

http://throughpolarizedeyes.com

Postby GregMiller » Wed Aug 22, 2012 10:40 am

Bean wrote:I'm done with my Maestrales if anyone wants to buy them. Too wide for me. Not a bad boot, just isn't for my feet.

What size?
Still Here
been scared and battered. My hopes the wind done scattered. Snow has friz me, Sun has baked me,
Langston Hughes

Postby Bean » Wed Aug 22, 2012 10:48 am

farcedude wrote:
Bean wrote:I'm done with my Maestrales if anyone wants to buy them. Too wide for me. Not a bad boot, just isn't for my feet.

What size?

Pretty sure 27.5 (same shell as 28 - 314mm), I'd have to double check though.
gdthomas wrote:Bean, you're an idiot.

http://throughpolarizedeyes.com

Postby GregMiller » Wed Aug 22, 2012 1:06 pm

Darn, looking for something around 26-27.

EDIT - another question - I have huge ankle bones, so I know I'll need help getting boots fitted - should I buy boots then take them to a fitter, or just buy them from the bootfitter?
Still Here
Langston Hughes

Postby Voodoo302 » Wed Aug 22, 2012 1:21 pm

I've been riding a pair of Dynafit Titans and they're awesome. They are pretty heavy but with the benefit of being able to pretty much drive any ski down any line. Plus they come with both lug/dynafit soles and alpine/DIN soles, unlike the BD line. The last is somewhat narrow, for what that's worth.

I'd say it's always worth going to a fitter or at the very least trying on several pair in a reputable shop. As Dave said they're the most important part of your rig so it's worth spending the time and money to get it right. Of course if you find a great deal...

Postby George James » Wed Aug 22, 2012 1:25 pm

dude wrote:should I buy boots then take them to a fitter, or just buy them from the bootfitter?

If you believe in supporting local business and can afford it, are passionate about the sport, and want a pro quality fit, buy them from the boot fitter.

That can be damn expensive though, so if you simply don't have the budget, at least go to the boot fitter for a consultation before buying. One friend of mine got turned away at the boot shop because the boots he brought in were too big for his feet to be fit properly in the opinion of the boot fitter. If this is the way you go, I recommend bringing the boots you end up with back to the boot fitter with some sort of gift. Perhaps some nice micro brew or a decent bottle of whiskey.

Just my opinion, but it is the right one of course.
- A mountain is not a checkbox to be ticked
- Alpinism and mountaineering are not restricted to 14,000 foot mountains
- Judgment and experience are the two most important pieces of gear you own
- Being honest to yourself and others about your abilities is a characteristic of experienced climbers
- Courage cannot be bought at REI or carried with you in your rucksack
~ The Baron Von Bergschrund

Postby douglas » Wed Aug 22, 2012 3:34 pm

farcedude wrote:Darn, looking for something around 26-27.

EDIT - another question - I have huge ankle bones, so I know I'll need help getting boots fitted - should I buy boots then take them to a fitter, or just buy them from the bootfitter?

I recommend Larry's Boot Fitting in Boulder. I now have my first comfortable boots in years (Dynafit). He's not necessarily cheap but oh so worth it.

Postby GregMiller » Wed Aug 22, 2012 4:22 pm

douglas wrote:I recommend Larry's Boot Fitting in Boulder. I now have my first comfortable boots in years (Dynafit). He's not necessarily cheap but oh so worth it.

What's the process like for going to see him? And what does he charge? I keep hearing rave reviews, so that where I think I'll go, I just want to know what to expect.
Still Here
Langston Hughes

Postby SkiBikeClimb99 » Wed Aug 22, 2012 7:13 pm

Call to make an appointment. He's pretty chill, but weekends can get really busy in his shop. His prices are pretty damn reasonable too. He worked on my wife's ski boots for like an hour and charged her $20 for labor and shims.

Next