Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

Silverheels - East Ridge vs South Ridge

Colorado 13er questions, conditions, and other info should be posted here. Also includes topics related to 13ers.com. 13er Trip Reports

Silverheels - East Ridge vs South Ridge

Postby nedryarson » Wed Aug 22, 2012 1:34 pm

I'm considering Silverheels for the near future and want to steer clear of the main routes from Hoosier Pass. That leaves the South Ridge and East Ridge routes as alternatives. The South Ridge seems pretty straightforward, but I can't seem to find much info about the East Ridge route (from Tarryall Creek) aside from a SummitPost description. Any recommendation on which route might be more enjoyable? Thanks in advance!

Re: Silverheels - East Ridge vs South Ridge

Postby highpilgrim » Wed Aug 22, 2012 2:23 pm

nedryarson wrote:I'm considering Silverheels for the near future and want to steer clear of the main routes from Hoosier Pass. That leaves the South Ridge and East Ridge routes as alternatives. The South Ridge seems pretty straightforward, but I can't seem to find much info about the East Ridge route (from Tarryall Creek) aside from a SummitPost description. Any recommendation on which route might be more enjoyable? Thanks in advance!

The South Ridge is a beautiful, easy tundra hike with great views for its entire length. And no people. And it has great bristlecones along the lower route.

silverheels stroll.jpg
silverheels stroll.jpg (307.11 KiB) Viewed 205 times

bristlecones.jpg
bristlecones.jpg (273.98 KiB) Viewed 176 times
Last edited by highpilgrim on Wed Aug 22, 2012 3:06 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Call on God, but row away from the rocks.
Hunter S Thompson

Postby mtgirl » Wed Aug 22, 2012 2:29 pm

highpilgrim wrote: The South Ridge is a beautiful, easy tundra hike with great views for it's entire length. And no people.

Agree with highpilgrim. Did this route in early June and enjoyed it.
"Life is not measured by the breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away."

Postby Jay521 » Wed Aug 22, 2012 2:47 pm

I have done Silverheels from Hoosier (winter) and the east ridge from Tarryall (summer) and honestly enjoyed the east ridge a lot. Starts out in trees and then a nice tundra hike the rest of the way. Haven't done it from the south. I can probably dig up pics I took on the east ridge trip and email them to you if you like.
I take the mountain climber's approach to housekeeping - don't look down

Postby jsdratm » Wed Aug 22, 2012 3:03 pm

Where do you start out if you are doing the south ridge? It looks like a cool hike and I'd like to try it out myself.

Postby mtgirl » Wed Aug 22, 2012 4:01 pm

jsdratm wrote:Where do you start out if you are doing the south ridge? It looks like a cool hike and I'd like to try it out myself.

Here's some info for you:
http://www.summitpost.org/south-ridge/176258
"Life is not measured by the breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away."