Ragged peak and Chair mountain

Colorado peak questions, condition requests and other info.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
    For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
emiller
14ers: 6 
13ers: 9
Trip Reports (1)

Ragged peak and Chair mountain

Post by emiller »

While driving over Mclure pass I couldn't help but notice how rugged these two peaks looked. Has anyone traversed Ragged peak from one end to the other along its long ridge line? It looked like it would be a great class 3 scramble. Chair mountain also had a very nice looking S shaped ridge. Of course its hard to tell exactly how difficult they maybe from a distance.
its_not_a_tuba
14ers: 36  1  2 
13ers: 5
Trip Reports (1)

Re: Ragged peak and Chair mountain

Post by its_not_a_tuba »

Would this be the ridge? It looks very committing.
216997.jpg
216997.jpg (133.76 KiB) Viewed 946 times
Link to full size: http://images.summitpost.org/original/216997.jpg
"Wilderness settles peace on the soul because it needs no help. It is beyond human contrivance." -- E.O. Wilson
cheeseburglar
14ers: 58  2 
13ers: 79 2 1
Trip Reports (8)

Post by cheeseburglar »

The Ragged Peak ridge is nice, but I wasn't able to get over to Chair Mountain on it, I had to drop into the basin. With a rope it might go.
The ridge up to Chair Mountain from McClure pass is crazy. There is a little peak called "Deva" or something like that by the locals, but the ridge to Chair from their is class 5. I know two guys who tried it, with snow on it, but they turned back. Some pretty intimidating spires. Also, you have to cross private property to get to it from McClure.
http://www.14ers.com/php14ers/triprepor ... m=tripuser
The marmot said “Nobody is perfect and you are not nobody.”

Random FoTH Quotes
mtndude3737
14ers: 58 
13ers: 2
Trip Reports (2)

Post by mtndude3737 »

I have climbed up to the ridge from the western side 3 times. It is steep and probably a class 4. The ridge proper would be class 4+, and to do the entire cirque would take an entire day and some serious juevos. Every time I have started and summited the ridge, the weather chased me back down. It looks extremely narrow, exposed, and long.
What is there, beyond the mountain, if not the man? - Walter Bonatti

The simpler you make things, the richer the experience becomes. - Steve House
emiller
14ers: 6 
13ers: 9
Trip Reports (1)

Post by emiller »

As you drive down to Paonia Ragged peak looks very intimidating. Sounds like 2 days of climbing to tag both peaks. It sounds like this might make a great 2 night backpacking excursion.
mtndude3737
14ers: 58 
13ers: 2
Trip Reports (2)

Post by mtndude3737 »

Agreed..... and the basin and the lake down there is probably one of the least visited in Colorado. I used to live up there and the Lamptons have a ranch on the west side of the west ridge. Dean went there once via horse/hiking and said it was amazing.
What is there, beyond the mountain, if not the man? - Walter Bonatti

The simpler you make things, the richer the experience becomes. - Steve House