Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

Best panoramic camera ...

Info on gear, conditioning, and preparation for hiking/climbing. Gear Classifieds

Best panoramic camera ...

Postby AF_Climber » Mon Aug 13, 2012 2:41 pm

Can anyone recommend a camera for shooting the peaks from afar (for a photosafari)? I'm not worried about whether the camera is lightweight. My biggest priority is something that will take good pictures irrespective of whether I am further away or at the trailhead.

Thanks.

Re: Best panoramic camera ...

Postby CO Native » Mon Aug 13, 2012 3:17 pm

DSLR or point-and-shoot type of camera?
Remember what your knees are for.
http://www.hikingintherockies.com

Postby AF_Climber » Mon Aug 13, 2012 4:10 pm

I am not averse to either type.

Postby mattpayne11 » Mon Aug 13, 2012 4:48 pm

AF_Climber wrote:Can anyone recommend a camera for shooting the peaks from afar (for a photosafari)? I'm not worried about whether the camera is lightweight. My biggest priority is something that will take good pictures irrespective of whether I am further away or at the trailhead.

Thanks.

I'm not sure I understand your questions. You want a camera that can do panoramics on-camera? A lot of Sonys can do that now, but it will never be as good as the good-old-fashion tripod and stitch.

Pretty much any camera can do that, but you need the software (there are free versions).

Postby djkest » Mon Aug 13, 2012 5:29 pm

As Matt said, software on your computer is the best way to do panoramic photos.

I've played with some different free software, but I prefer Microsoft Research ICE.. it's free, fast, and easy. It does have a few little quirks but the results you get are pretty solid for a freebie.

If I were contemplating this, the best way would be a DSLR (or one of the compact system cameras, I suppose) for the lens interchangability. I like my Nikon D5100 but it's not the "best" just the best compromise for me.
A wide-angle prime lense would probably be ideal for shooting landscape panoramas- Matt would know better than me.
Life is a mountain, not a beach.
Exploring and Wine, my personal blog

Postby mattpayne11 » Mon Aug 13, 2012 8:38 pm

There's value in shooting panos at a longer focal length, just takes longer ;)

Depends on what look you're going for. Most my panos were taken with a 11-16mm lens on my Nikon D7000.

Here's the better ones (I think).

http://www.mattpaynephotography.com/p217375663

Postby AF_Climber » Tue Aug 14, 2012 9:19 am

Thanks Matt. Very impressive.

I am simply looking to go on a photosafari well below the summits. I nearly fell off of the cleaver on Mt. Ranier a couple of years ago. Ever since then, I've enjoyed the views from off the mountain.
My goal is to capture them to hang on my office walls.

Tom

Postby brech » Mon Aug 20, 2012 2:11 pm

I just bought a samsung WB150F, I was originally thinking of a DSLR or a hybrid SLR with a fixed lens. Tried some of them and this was easy to use. For a panoramic view you hold the button and move the camera.
Some of the hybrids I had to snap several pics and it or the sw stitched them together.
Others you had to change the field of view for panorama liek to 90, 180 or 360 deg.
For me I liked this because it was decent resolution, panoramic worked easy ( at times if you move the camera and also tilt it it fails) has a good zoom function it's small and light fits in my pocket easy and cost under $200.

Postby MtHurd » Mon Aug 20, 2012 2:49 pm

I have a Sony with the panoramic feature on it. I tried it once and never used it again. I just stitch my photos together with software as others have suggested.

Postby RoanMtnMan » Mon Aug 20, 2012 2:58 pm

mattpayne11 wrote:There's value in shooting panos at a longer focal length, just takes longer ;)

Depends on what look you're going for. Most my panos were taken with a 11-16mm lens on my Nikon D7000.

Here's the better ones (I think).

http://www.mattpaynephotography.com/p217375663

Best answer in my opinion. A full frame DSLR, 10mm prime lens, tripod, low ISO, 2 second delay, at f/22 or higher is gonna give you great results for the money. Otherwise a $200 point and shoot and a lot of editing.
Always follow the 7 P's. Proper Planning & Preparation, Prevents Piss-Poor Performance.

"An adventure is misery and discomfort, relived in the safety of reminiscence.” --Marco Polo

www.CalebWrayPhotography.com

Postby hvolmer » Mon Aug 20, 2012 3:27 pm

If you can afford it, go SLR with good glass. Tripod helps make it better of course, with a delay or trigger cable. Photoshop has a feature called Photomerge that does an excellent job splicing with hardly any interaction.

On a summit will often take 18 or more shots with my Canon 7D and a 12-24 Zoom at 12MM, portrait orientation for maximum vertical. I might wind up with an image that is larger than 25000x5000 pixels. Pretty cool, but hard to really do anything with other than print out for your wall. Photoshop has to do a lot of work on those, and does correction for the distortion at that focal length.

Summit shots aren't all that interesting to me anymore, unless there is snow. 4-5 shot-wide images from the hike up are usually better. Frankly, I don't really like lugging along my camera and heavy lenses because I can never really decide which lenses to take, and always miss the one I don't. I bought a point and shoot for these occasions, or when the plan is basically go up, go down.

When I can justify it, I'll spring for the full-frame camera myself, but that means a new wide lens and that my 70-200L will suddenly be a 70-200 again :-( -- although I expect it will shine even more than it already does. I'm not a professional, so spending $3k on a 5D Mk III is pure indulgence at this point!

Postby climbing_rob » Mon Aug 20, 2012 3:35 pm

RoanMtnMan wrote:Best answer in my opinion. A full frame DSLR, 10mm prime lens, tripod, low ISO, 2 second delay, at f/22 or higher is gonna give you great results for the money. Otherwise a $200 point and shoot and a lot of editing.
There's a 10mm prime lens (non fish eye) out there that will cover a full frame????? Nirvana! Care to share what lens you're talking about? I cannot find it.

hvolmer: Pull the trigger on that 5-D Mark III maybe we can make a deal on two Canon lenses I have, both of which cover a full frame: the 17-40L and 70-300mm non-L.

Next