Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

What would be a reasonable fee for a popular 14er?

Colorado 14ers access and fee issues only, please

What would be a reasonable fee for accessing a popular 14er?

$0
54%
less than $5
11%
$5
16%
$10
11%
$20
5%
more than $20
4%

Total votes : 224

Re: What would be a reasonable fee for a popular 14er?

Postby pkripper » Mon Aug 20, 2012 12:26 pm

By reading some of these post it would sound like people are being forced to buy gear, stay in hotels, pay for gas etc. these are choices people make. I personally would not be in favor of fees but could see why the case could be made. Just look at all the rescues every summer. Someone mentioned road improvements from the fees. I would not be for that at all.I love living in the entitlement age.

Postby CHWitte » Mon Aug 20, 2012 12:35 pm

pkripper wrote:By reading some of these post it would sound like people are being forced to buy gear, stay in hotels, pay for gas etc. these are choices people make. I personally would not be in favor of fees but could see why the case could be made. Just look at all the rescues every summer. Someone mentioned road improvements from the fees. I would not be for that at all.I love living in the entitlement age.

Why in the world should I have to pay for someone else's rescue off a mountain? Either purchase SAR insurance or fork up the money yourself if you need to be rescued. People are not entitled to a free ride at the expense of others. (this is not personally directed at you, just those who "make the case")

NO NEW FEES!

By the way, allow me to take this opportunity to promote the Colorado Outdoor Recreation Search and Rescue 5 year Card that can be purchased as insurance. This is the way it should be done...

Postby TheOtherIndian » Mon Aug 20, 2012 12:43 pm

LtWitte wrote:By the way, allow me to take this opportunity to promote the Colorado Outdoor Recreation Search and Rescue 5 year Card that can be purchased as insurance. This is the way it should be done...

For the (n+1)th time, it is not an insurance .....
"There's only one thing I hate more than lying. Skim milk. Which is water that's lying about being milk" -Swanson, Ron

Postby AlexMack » Mon Aug 20, 2012 12:44 pm

I have not voted yet, I can't really decide. I would be OK with $5 or maybe even $10 if it directly impacted that 14er or other 14ers, whether it goes towards CFI trail improvements, or (I would really like this) road improvements making some of the more difficult trailheads a little easier to get to. However if this money would not be turned back into the 14ers I would not be happy about it.

I also agree that a donation system would be better than a "mandatory" fee. Some 14ers have donation stations and I feel good about giving back. These should be at every 14er trailhead (I'm being optimistic that these donations are recycled back into the 14ers community but I'm not certain on this).
"Good judgment comes from experience. Experience comes from bad judgment." - Evan Hardin

Postby CHWitte » Mon Aug 20, 2012 12:44 pm

TheOtherIndian wrote:
LtWitte wrote:By the way, allow me to take this opportunity to promote the Colorado Outdoor Recreation Search and Rescue 5 year Card that can be purchased as insurance. This is the way it should be done...

Then what is it?

Postby Bean » Mon Aug 20, 2012 12:45 pm

LtWitte wrote:purchase SAR insurance

Can you recommend a company (or companies that offer this insurance)?

Oh, you seem to greatly misunderstand what the CORSAR card is.

LtWitte wrote:Then what is it?

What the CORSAR card is:
- a good way to help pay for SAR costs and support SAR teams
- a way to protect yourself if you're in one of the two (I think) counties that charge people who require SAR services
- a great way to let people who have no idea what they're talking about demonstrate that fact to large groups of people on the internets

What the CORSAR card is not:
- insurance
Last edited by Bean on Mon Aug 20, 2012 12:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
gdthomas wrote:Bean, you're an idiot.

http://throughpolarizedeyes.com

Postby DeucesWild » Mon Aug 20, 2012 12:47 pm

LtWitte, meet rASStic.

rASStic, meet LtWitte.

You guys, keep in touch with yourselves.
Snowflakes, Uber Alles!

www.deuceIRA.com. Put the Douche in your FiDeuceiary needs today!!

Postby TheOtherIndian » Mon Aug 20, 2012 12:47 pm

LtWitte wrote:
TheOtherIndian wrote:

Then what is it?

Bean summed it up well.

http://www.colorado.gov/cs/Satellite/DOLA-Main/CBON/1251592090523
"There's only one thing I hate more than lying. Skim milk. Which is water that's lying about being milk" -Swanson, Ron

Postby CHWitte » Mon Aug 20, 2012 12:47 pm

Why Buy a CORSAR Card?
Colorado residents and visitors are well served by dedicated volunteer search and rescue teams, but mission costs are often in the thousands of dollars. By purchasing a CORSAR card you are contributing to the Search and Rescue Fund, which will reimburse these teams for costs incurred in your search and rescue. Funds remaining at the end of the year are used to help pay for training and equipment for these teams. Anyone with a current hunting/fishing license, or boat, snowmobile, ATV registration is already covered by the fund.

The CORSAR Card Is Not Insurance
The card is not insurance and does not reimburse individuals nor does it pay for medical transport. Medical transport includes helicopter flights or ground ambulance. If aircraft are used as a search vehicle, those costs are reimbursed by the fund. If the aircraft becomes a medical transport due to a medical emergency, the medical portion of the transport is not covered.

Purchase a Card
The CORSAR cards are available for $3 for one year and $12 for five years, and can be purchased at over 300 retailers in the state. You may also purchase cards online. Please visit one of these links:

Postby CHWitte » Mon Aug 20, 2012 12:49 pm

So yes, it is insurance in the sense of covering fees for the SAR. I never meant it was MEDICAL INSURANCE. The debate has always been over who gets stuck with the SAR expenses. This 5 year card is SAR insurance so you aren't given an SAR bill if you are rescued off a mountain.

Postby Scott P » Mon Aug 20, 2012 12:50 pm

Post removed because arguing with a ____ such as LtWitte is pointless.
Last edited by Scott P on Mon Aug 20, 2012 1:23 pm, edited 4 times in total.
I'm slow and fat. Unfortunately, those are my good qualities.

Postby TheOtherIndian » Mon Aug 20, 2012 12:54 pm

Its not even SAR insurance. Those brave folks are all volunteers and major proponents of No Charge for Rescue. You will not be billed even if you dont have a CORSAR card. But if you do have one, its good karma and those who helped you will get reimbursed part of their costs from a common fund.

PreviousNext