Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

What would be a reasonable fee for a popular 14er?

Colorado 14ers access and fee issues only, please

What would be a reasonable fee for accessing a popular 14er?

$0
54%
less than $5
11%
$5
16%
$10
11%
$20
5%
more than $20
4%

Total votes : 219

Re: What would be a reasonable fee for a popular 14er?

Postby broncotw » Sun Aug 19, 2012 2:58 pm

Reasonable fee? Absolutely NOTHING -- Period!!!

The majority of the 14ers are on public land (NOT all are) and taxes already go towards the upkeep of the trails, rescue efforts, and everything else related to maintain these parks/peaks.... Not to mention all the taxes related to traveling to these peaks/parks! Taxes on fuel, hotels, vehicle rentals, equipment, restaurants, and on and on! At some point the governments (both state and Federal) have to learn to spend the money derived from taxes in a more efficient manner.... Governments are always searching for more creative ways to bring in revenue..... Taxing or charging a fee to climb a 14er (call it what you want -- they are the same to me) is just another paltry attempt by politicians to bring in money as opposed to doing their job in which they were elected to do: spend the tax payers money responsibly, quit spending money frivolously, and creating a budget and maintaining fiscal responsibility.

If not, other states will start to see their cities become bankrupt such as many in California......

I would not be opposed to the notion of having to obtain a permit for some peaks which are more popular -- such as Longs Peak -- just to limit the amount of people on the mountain and increase safety.... But to charge for this permit would be a huge injustice -- in my opinion......
Last edited by broncotw on Sun Aug 19, 2012 10:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ted from TEXAS!

Postby SolarAlex » Sun Aug 19, 2012 3:04 pm

live4pc wrote:
SolarAlex wrote:if they want to charge people, they should do it on the mountain...have rangers charge for littering, pooping on the trail, dogs pooping on the trail, feeding wildlife, harassing wildlife etc. that would probably be the only way i could support fees on 14ers (or really any mountain that is on public land)

That would take a lot of rangers really think that would work out?

not really, i was just posting what i would find acceptable in ideal situation. the real world would make this unrealistic

Postby SteveBonowski » Mon Aug 20, 2012 9:49 am

I think there are too many variables here for this to be a valid poll (sorry, Jim). What is a popular 14er? Are we talking the peaks close to the Front Range; maybe some Sawatch peaks? Some of the peaks close to the Front Range are mostly private (L/B/D, Sherman) which presents other issues.

An interesting sidebar recently from one of the Lincoln/Democrat owners: "Forest Service charges a fee (at Kite Lake) to climb our peaks and we don't see any of the money."

What is the total number of "popular 14ers?"

What about access points? How many entries get covered by a fee booth? What's the total number of access points for a "popular 14er?" Worth noting that the Culebra fee is easy to charge as there is just one reasonable access point. "Helps" that if you get caught on the east side ranch, you'll end up in county court in Trinidad.

Postby Johnson » Mon Aug 20, 2012 10:03 am

None.

Postby Kapelmuur » Mon Aug 20, 2012 10:12 am

SteveBonowski wrote:An interesting sidebar recently from one of the Lincoln/Democrat owners: "Forest Service charges a fee (at Kite Lake) to climb our peaks and we don't see any of the money."

Is it in fact the FS charging the fee there? I was under the impression that the TH was on private land and it was the owner that was charging the fee. Anyone know for sure?
Long Live the Fighters
Unremarkable feats of bike racing, mountain climbing and life in the nation's perfect suburb.

Postby SilverLynx » Mon Aug 20, 2012 10:14 am

Summer Merrell hiking shoes: $150
Winter Merrell hiking shoes: $150
Superfeet insoles: $45
Eddie Bauer wind jacket: $130
2 pairs hiking pants: $150
Gloves: $10
Camelback pack: $100
R.E.I. Flash pack: $35
Osprey pack: $200
Trekking poles: $100
Ice axe: $100
Microspikes: $60
Gaiters: $70
Sleeping bag: $200
North Face down jacket: $220
Montbell down jacket: $140
Sunglasses: $50
Tilley: $50
All the other things I've bought at R.E.I. and Jax for 14ers: $500+

Gas for each 14er: $40 and higher
Food/Gu/snacks/meals for each 14er: $20 and higher

How I feel about paying more money for doing 14ers when the fees do not go to road improvement or anything useful:

](*,) ](*,) ](*,) :guns: :guns: :guns: :cussing: :cussing: :cussing:
"I learned that courage was not the absence of fear, but the triumph over it. The brave man is not he who does not feel afraid, but he who conquers that fear."
~Nelson Mandela

"Your time is limited, so don't waste it living someone else's life. Don't be trapped by dogma - which is living with the results of other people's thinking. Don't let the noise of others' opinions drown out your own inner voice. And most important, have the courage to follow your heart and intuition."
~Steve Jobs

Postby Doctor No » Mon Aug 20, 2012 10:16 am

Kapelmuur wrote:
SteveBonowski wrote:An interesting sidebar recently from one of the Lincoln/Democrat owners: "Forest Service charges a fee (at Kite Lake) to climb our peaks and we don't see any of the money."

Is it in fact the FS charging the fee there? I was under the impression that the TH was on private land and it was the owner that was charging the fee. Anyone know for sure?

At least in 2009 (last time I've been up there), it was the Forest Service.

Postby oldschoolczar » Mon Aug 20, 2012 10:18 am

Bring it on and let's see who can be the first to poach all the 14ers! All gear I buy from now on will be camouflage :wink:
"Tonight I'll shave the mountain
I'll cut the hearts from pharoahs"
-Tom Waits

Postby Bean » Mon Aug 20, 2012 10:22 am

Kapelmuur wrote:

The fees at Kite Lake are by the USFS. The times I've gone, I've just parked outside the fee area sign. Thinking about it, I'm pretty sure the area doesn't meet the legal requirements for a fee (like most of the USFS's fee areas).
gdthomas wrote:Bean, you're an idiot.

http://throughpolarizedeyes.com

Postby Kapelmuur » Mon Aug 20, 2012 10:30 am

Bean wrote:The fees at Kite Lake are by the USFS. The times I've gone, I've just parked outside the fee area sign. Thinking about it, I'm pretty sure the area doesn't meet the legal requirements for a fee (like most of the USFS's fee areas).

Thanks for the clarification. Of course this begs the rhetorical question, then why do the USFS stop there? Seems kind of arbitrary to charge at just one TH. Other TH's (Grays, Quandary) would seem to be cash cows in waiting.

Makes me think I should find me a knock-off USFS uniform and just stand out at Stevens Gulch Rd collecting $10 from every vehicle. Wonder how much $$ I could make before getting run off (or arrested). :D
Long Live the Fighters
Unremarkable feats of bike racing, mountain climbing and life in the nation's perfect suburb.

Postby Magnum420 » Mon Aug 20, 2012 10:42 am

No fee!!!

Public lands need to be exactly that, public land. Not public for only those that can afford the fee. I'm all for a permit system on the more popular routes/mts to limit the sheer # of people, but $1200+ to climb all the 14ers is rediculous.

Its not the $... "You see, it's the principal. There's principalities in the whole thing."
"I was high on life till I realized it was cut with idiots!" ---Anon---

Postby SteveBonowski » Mon Aug 20, 2012 10:47 am

Kapelmuur: the Kite Lake trailhead area is on USFS property. As one gets past the designated camp sites after crossing the lake outlet, one gets onto mining claims.

"Seems kind of arbitrary to charge at just one trailhead....." Not really. Kite Lake is actually a concessionaire area. The whole fee issue is somewhat complex. I made a reference on the other 14er fee thread to the Vail Pass Winter Recreation area. Several years ago, both user groups (snowmobile & non-motorized) agreed on a modest increase in the use fee. It's still hung up as such fees have to be approved by a recreation advisory council set up for the USFS for Colorado. The enabling law mandates a broad based group to sit on the council. It is now meeting. So, if USFS was to set something up at Grays or Quandary, chances are good that they'd have to go through the RAC.

PreviousNext