Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

ankle brace recomendations?

Info on gear, conditioning, and preparation for hiking/climbing. Gear Classifieds

Re: ankle brace recomendations?

Postby blazebo » Sun Aug 19, 2012 9:37 am

Jaggers wrote:I seem to have a problem with rolling my ankle on loose rock on the way down. Its never a full on sprain and I am able to continue back, but then it is sore for a couple weeks. I'm thinking that a good ankle brace might help and wondering if anyone has recommendations. Also, if anyone has any advice as to technique other than the obvious that perhaps treading a little more lightly would be beneficial. Thanks!

the issue sounds more like muscle memory with loose ligaments. go to the gym or buy a ballance ball platform, the little half ab ball half platform thing. use that to stand on the ankle and wiggle around catching yourself everytime. do this everyday for a few weeks and you will be shocked how much better it is. i have had both of my ankles shattered from an ice climbing fall and this was key in rehab.
"Come on, you sons of bitches-do you want to live forever?"
-Gunnery Sergeant Dan Daly, USMC, 1918.

Postby DaveSwink » Sun Aug 19, 2012 2:50 pm

[quote="Dave B"]I also used to have a real hard time with rolling my ankles.

I haven't done it once since I started trail running for training though. Ankle strengthening seems to be just as beneficial as a brace.[/quote]

+1 I used to painfully roll ankle to some extent on almost every 14er. Train running banished that problem for me. I still occasionally roll an ankle but now I can just straighten up and continue on my way without injury.

Postby Roald » Sun Aug 19, 2012 9:29 pm

blazebo wrote:
the issue sounds more like muscle memory with loose ligaments. go to the gym or buy a ballance ball platform, the little half ab ball half platform thing. use that to stand on the ankle and wiggle around catching yourself everytime. do this everyday for a few weeks and you will be shocked how much better it is. i have had both of my ankles shattered from an ice climbing fall and this was key in rehab.

I think I could benefit from something like this. Can you provide a link to purchase a platform like what you're describing?
chrismjx wrote:

Roald, in that one sentence you managed to demonstrate that A) you're an idiot and B) you're a hypocrite, and a perfect example of the cause of the modern-day problems in this country.

Postby DaveSwink » Sun Aug 19, 2012 11:06 pm

On amazon.com, search the Sports and Outdoors section for "balance disc" and you will find lots of options. I really like the "pods" that are flat on one side and hemispherical on the other side.

Previous