Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

Locating Echo Canyon Trailhead

Trailhead conditions, directions, roads, parking, camping, etc. Trailhead Info/Status

Locating Echo Canyon Trailhead

Postby Jeff_F » Sat Aug 18, 2012 11:26 pm

Hi All,
Recently I ventured to Twin Lakes area looking to hit Bull Hill. However, for the life of me I couldn't find the turn off for Echo Canyon Trailhead. I understand it's unmarked and at around 12.5 miles from US 24/82 turn off. But, when I got to 12.5 on my odometer, all I see are driveways. Anyone have any tips on how to find it amongst all these driveways? Thanks much!

Cheers,
Jeff
The mountains are calling and I must go.
- - John Muir

Re: Locating Echo Canyon Trailhead

Postby tmathews » Sat Aug 18, 2012 11:37 pm

Jeff_F wrote:Hi All,
Recently I ventured to Twin Lakes area looking to hit Bull Hill. However, for the life of me I couldn't find the turn off for Echo Canyon Trailhead. I understand it's unmarked and at around 12.5 miles from US 24/82 turn off. But, when I got to 12.5 on my odometer, all I see are driveways. Anyone have any tips on how to find it amongst all these driveways? Thanks much!

Cheers,
Jeff

Good grief, that thing is difficult to find. We were only able to find it because someone in our group spotted the "Echo Canyon Lodge". It's adjacent to the lodge. It's past the Mt. Elbert Lodge on the north side of Hwy 82. The road is easy to miss. Sorry I don't have info about mileage to the pull-off, but there's really only enough space for 2-3 vehicles to park opposite the trail.

Postby Jeff_F » Sat Aug 18, 2012 11:40 pm

Thanks man, that helps. I do recall seeing the Mt. Elbert Lodge, or at least I think I remember seeing it. If anyone else has beta, please share what you got. :)

Any room for throwing up a tent, or is it best to find a spot along 82 before or after the pull off?
- - John Muir

Postby tmathews » Sat Aug 18, 2012 11:43 pm

Jeff_F wrote:Thanks man, that helps. I do recall seeing the Mt. Elbert Lodge, or at least I think I remember seeing it. If anyone else has beta, please share what you got. :)

Any room for throwing up a tent, or is it best to find a spot along 82 before or after the pull off?

No room at the trailhead, but you can probably hike-in like 1/4 mile and find a spot.

Postby sunny1 » Sat Aug 18, 2012 11:54 pm

Very tough to find the Echo Canyon TH, especially in the dark.
It's unmarked. Have to go on the mileage, measure carefully from the intersection of 24 and 82.
When you turn, as Terry mentioned, it's on the N side of 82.
You'll drive maybe 100yds or so, there is room for a few cars to park there.
If you look to the west side of the parking area, you'll see a trail lined with small rocks.
In the dark, you can see these rocks if your headlights point that way.
Tough to describe an unmarked TH, I'm at a loss to give better directions.
Good luck!
The older you get, the better you get, unless you're a banana.

Postby Jeff_F » Sun Aug 19, 2012 9:22 am

Thanks again for all that replied and shared.

If anyone else has some insight. And the other thought I had was if it was near the driveways and how you can notice a difference, that would be great. When I go, and if I find it, will try and describe it well for future climbers.

Peace,
Jeff
- - John Muir