Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

What happened to Missy?

Dogs, dogs and even some cats
Forum rules
Let's try to keep the topics related to mountaineering, please.

Re: What happened to Missy?

Postby douglas » Fri Aug 17, 2012 12:50 pm

Even better with the caption - for the past hour I've been giggling out loud whenever I think of this picture.

Postby SeracZack » Fri Aug 17, 2012 12:55 pm

Security is mostly a superstition. It does not exist in nature, nor do the children of men as a whole experience it. Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure, or nothing.
-Helen Keller

Site Administrator

Postby BillMiddlebrook » Fri Aug 17, 2012 1:07 pm

guitarman wrote:I am reiderating these thoughts because whoever runs this website decided my post wasn't inline with his philosohies and deleted my post. Oh well, no pesky 1st Amendment rights around here.

Just went through the logs and NONE of your posts were deleted; Let's call it user-error. :roll:

guitarman wrote:So in closing I won't bother looking at this website again since it is so closeminded that it would support someone leaving his dog to die on a mountain and not even having the humanity to call someone to let them know what had happened.

Did you even read the details of this incident? I guess that's a rhetorical question since you won't be posting again.
Only SNOW will end the madness

Postby MtHurd » Fri Aug 17, 2012 1:34 pm

BillMiddlebrook wrote:
guitarman wrote:I am reiderating these thoughts because whoever runs this website decided my post wasn't inline with his philosohies and deleted my post. Oh well, no pesky 1st Amendment rights around here.

Just went through the logs and NONE of your posts were deleted; Let's call it user-error. :roll:

guitarman wrote:So in closing I won't bother looking at this website again since it is so closeminded that it would support someone leaving his dog to die on a mountain and not even having the humanity to call someone to let them know what had happened.

Did you even read the details of this incident? I guess that's a rhetorical question since you won't be posting again.

He might be back, it only took him a few minutes to post again after he said he wasn't coming back.

Postby dogguyscott » Fri Aug 17, 2012 1:36 pm

Let me start by saying…
** As a human to 2 “rescue dogs” – THANK YOU to the fantastic people who rescued this sweet girl…may the universe bestow whatever blessings it can on you for your kind spirits and acts.
** Thank you to the members of this community for providing, by far, the most meaningful forum for an “outsider” to gain some perspective on this issue.
** I am NOT a mountain climber (how I do envy you guys) and cannot claim any credibility to those related issues.
** I am NOT a lawyer and should not be considered an authority on law (particularly Colorado since I don’t live there), so a big grain of salt is appropriate.
** I’m providing the information and opinions in this post simply hoping to provide some objective context to the fine people on this forum.

SO…
** I believe the there are 2 Colorado laws that will drive the direction, assuming sufficient public pressure is brought to bear…
** RE: Cruelty to Animals http://www.animallaw.info/statutes/stuscost18_9_201.htm#s201
** RE: Pet Animal Care and Facilities Act http://animallaw.info/statutes/stuscost35_80_101_117.htm#s106_3
** If Mr. Ortolani is charged with animal cruelty, possible outcomes might include…
** Negotiated forfeiture of the dog in exchange for dropping charges
** Motion from prosecuting attorney for Mr. Ortolani to forfeit the dog upon conviction
** From my glancing through the law pertaining to animal facilities, if the dog has been abandoned for longer than 5 days (whether in or out of the facility’s direct control), the animal becomes the property of the facility/agency and they can do as they see fit. So even if no charges are brought, Mr. Ortolani may have slim legs to stand on for his request/claim.

The reason I point these out is to demonstrate to those so inclined that there are legal outcomes to pursue and leverage beyond moral outrage (as fair as that may be). As has already been said, thank goodness for the strong spirit of the sweet baby and the goodwill of those special folks who answered her call.

My wife and I are big believers in the concept of “natural, logical consequences”, when not inhumane. I know Mr. Ortolani says he had been mourning his dog’s loss and is hoping for a second chance. Perhaps the best outcome is for him, in fact, to “have” to mourn her loss (though not through death) and maybe find his second chance/penance in doing a better job as partner human to another deserving dog in need of its own rescue.

I hope I haven’t offended anyone; apologies if I have. Thanks again for a generally thoughtful discussion.

It's the Weekend - Go Climbing an F-ing Mountain!!!

Postby Fisching » Fri Aug 17, 2012 1:40 pm

BillMiddlebrook wrote:

"User Error." Likely excuse from a micro-manager... A
Anyways, renaming the topic in order to derail it even more so. And here's a random picture:
Attachments
hedge trimming.jpg
hedge trimming.jpg (56.92 KiB) Viewed 672 times
Peter Aitchison on the risks of rock climbing and mountaineering: "That's life, isn't it? We think the challenge and satisfaction you get from doing this is worth the risks."

"Respect the mountain. Train hard. Hope you can sneak up when it isn't looking."

"The mind is always worried about consequences, but the heart knows no fear. The heart just does what it wants."

Postby Wish I lived in CO » Fri Aug 17, 2012 1:47 pm

its_not_a_tuba wrote:So 4 of the top 6 most recent posts are threads about dogs. This is getting out of hand. Maybe someone should search all the dog threads they can find and bump em back to life just to make things even crazier.

Dog-gone-it, 14ers.com has gone to the dogs
I look up to the mountains - does my help come from there? My help comes from the Lord, who made heaven and earth! Psalm 121:1-2

Postby tmathews » Fri Aug 17, 2012 1:48 pm

Odd, I haven't seen any of the Denver stations report this yet, but here's a tidbit from a Colorado Springs station: http://www.kktv.com/home/headlines/Strangers-Band-Together-For-Dog-Rescue-From-Mt-Bierstadt-166468416.html

The Clear Creek County Sheriff’s office investigated the case and found the dog’s owner was Anthony Joseph Ortolani. He is charged with cruelty to animals and due to appear in court on October 16.

I guess it's true. This just hit the DP: http://www.denverpost.com/breakingnews/ci_21337462/man-who-left-dog-colorado-mountain-faces-animal

Postby kansas » Fri Aug 17, 2012 1:51 pm

tmathews wrote:Odd, I haven't seen any of the Denver stations report this yet, but here's a tidbit from a Colorado Springs station: http://www.kktv.com/home/headlines/Strangers-Band-Together-For-Dog-Rescue-From-Mt-Bierstadt-166468416.html

The Clear Creek County Sheriff’s office investigated the case and found the dog’s owner was Anthony Joseph Ortolani. He is charged with cruelty to animals and due to appear in court on October 16.

I guess it's true. This just hit the DP: http://www.denverpost.com/breakingnews/ci_21337462/man-who-left-dog-colorado-mountain-faces-animal

Dammit, Terry.

Lets try this again.
Attachments
43 - animals dinosaur happy-face jetpack nonsensical scissors velociraptor-with-a-jetpack-and-scissors.jpg
43 - animals dinosaur happy-face jetpack nonsensical scissors velociraptor-with-a-jetpack-and-scissors.jpg (24.07 KiB) Viewed 608 times
"In the end, of course, it changed almost nothing. But I came to appreciate that mountains make poor receptacles for dreams."
— Jon Krakauer

Postby mtnflyer » Fri Aug 17, 2012 1:53 pm

Welcome to DogGoners.com

Postby tmathews » Fri Aug 17, 2012 1:54 pm

kansas wrote:Dammit, Terry.

Lets try this again.

Postby Jim Davies » Fri Aug 17, 2012 1:58 pm

Did someone mention turtles?
Some people are afraid of heights. Not me, I'm afraid of white blood cells.

PreviousNext