Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

Clohesy Lake Beta?

Trailhead conditions, directions, roads, parking, camping, etc. Trailhead Info/Status

Clohesy Lake Beta?

Postby Stiffler_from_Denver » Thu Aug 16, 2012 1:01 pm

I'm looking to do the backside of Huron and Missouri Peaks this weekend, I was wondering if anyone has a conditions report on the 4WD road up to Clohesy Lake.

Re: Clohesy Lake Beta?

Postby MtHurd » Thu Aug 16, 2012 1:10 pm

https://www.14ers.com/php14ers/trailheads2.php?thparm=sw18

It's definitely the best way to do Missouri.

Postby Doctor No » Thu Aug 16, 2012 1:14 pm

Stiffler_from_Denver wrote:I'm looking to do the backside of Huron and Missouri Peaks this weekend, I was wondering if anyone has a conditions report on the 4WD road up to Clohesy Lake.

I walked the road on August 4th, and the road beyond the creeks is something that I'd consider easy 4wd.

The creek was low enough for my Ford Ranger, but I was concerned that it would be too high when I returned (it turned out to be just fine).

Postby nkan02 » Thu Aug 16, 2012 2:21 pm

Walked the road this past weekend. ](*,) - the road would be too rough for my Subaru. Anything with higher clearance should be fine. Isuzu Tropper was the smallest vehicle in attendance that managed that road.
It has frequently been noticed that all mountains appear doomed to pass through the three stages: An inaccessible peak - The most difficult ascent in the Alps - An easy day for a lady. Albert Frederick Mummery, My Climbs in the Alps and Caucasus

Postby Doctor No » Thu Aug 16, 2012 2:35 pm

Was it the creek? There were some steep parts right after that, but other than that, I thought it looked pretty good.

Caveat: I'm a horrible 4wd driver. :mrgreen:

Postby nkan02 » Thu Aug 16, 2012 2:46 pm

Doctor No wrote:Was it the creek? There were some steep parts right after that, but other than that, I thought it looked pretty good.

Caveat: I'm a horrible 4wd driver. :mrgreen:

You are probably a very good 4wd driver. So am I - my biggest concern is the well-being of my vehicle :mrgreen: as well as environment! Just think of how much gas the car would burn by driving 3 miles of that "road".

I would have made the creek. In fact, there was an older/lower clearance Subaru model parked after the 1st creek crossing but before the 2nd one. I could immediately see why they parked. The road goes steep uphill and there is a large bolder sitting right in the middle of it. This was just the first spot, but then there were several more that made me glad I did not take a chance. Small consolation for 6 miles (RT) of road walking. :mrgreen: My goal was Emerald, but b/c of all the road walking, I was anxious to finally see the views and ended up on Missouri first. Thankfully, the weather held for all 3 :)

Postby MountainDawg » Thu Aug 16, 2012 7:54 pm

Hows the fishing in that lake?

Postby JimR » Fri Aug 17, 2012 8:46 am

We did the Missouri-Iowa-Emerald loop from Clohesy Lake a couple weeks ago. The road was rough, but not outrageous. The creek was not a problem. I'd want high clearance 4WD (we had a 4Runner).

The hike was great--the most fun was the descent from Emerald's South Ridge down to the old miner's cabin. It was one of those "good" scree fields that you can just plunge step down, kind of like the Bross descent. (If you think the Bross scree descent is miserable, you might not like this one either.)
I have more age than experience, more experience than knowledge, and more knowledge than wisdom.
Yet somehow I usually make it back to the car safely; and oftentimes, so do the people that I'm with.

Postby WarDamnPanic » Fri Aug 17, 2012 8:50 am

Fishing in that lake is great, I made 30 casts and caught 27 fish in about 30 minutes

Postby MtHurd » Fri Aug 17, 2012 8:51 am

Clohesy lake ranks way up there in beauty.

Postby RoanMtnMan » Fri Aug 17, 2012 1:03 pm

WarDamnPanic wrote:Fishing in that lake is great, I made 30 casts and caught 27 fish in about 30 minutes

Shhhh. Kidding. The lake does fish well, especially on the inlet.

The road is totally reasonable for 4wds with good clearance. I would gladly rally a Subaru up there, unless I owned it. I have taken a Dodge Ram, a Wrangler, and a Yukon up without issue.
Always follow the 7 P's. Proper Planning & Preparation, Prevents Piss-Poor Performance.

"An adventure is misery and discomfort, relived in the safety of reminiscence.” --Marco Polo

www.CalebWrayPhotography.com

Postby MountainDawg » Fri Aug 17, 2012 3:37 pm

WarDamnPanic wrote:Fishing in that lake is great, I made 30 casts and caught 27 fish in about 30 minutes

Fly on a bubble? High noon? No wind? Full sun?

Next