Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

Capital Peak camping/campfires?

Trailhead conditions, directions, roads, parking, camping, etc. Trailhead Info/Status

Capital Peak camping/campfires?

Postby Cdwolf » Thu Aug 16, 2012 12:35 pm

We plan on hiking Capital Peak in a couple of weeks. I am getting mixed answers everywhere I look. Are campfires permitted in the designated camping spots at Capital Lake?

Re: Capital Peak camping/campfires?

Postby Presto » Thu Aug 16, 2012 12:37 pm

No.
As if none of us have ever come back with a cool, quasi-epic story instead of being victim to tragic rockfall, a fatal stumble, a heart attack, an embolism, a lightning strike, a bear attack, collapsing cornice, some psycho with an axe, a falling tree, carbon monoxide, even falling asleep at the wheel getting to a mountain. If you can't accept the fact that sometimes "s**t happens", then you live with the illusion that your epic genius and profound wilderness intelligence has put you in total and complete control of yourself, your partners, and the mountain. How mystified you'll be when "s**t happens" to you! - FM

Postby wildlobo71 » Thu Aug 16, 2012 12:38 pm

There are no campfires allowed around the lake; about 1/2 mile below the lake you enter the numbered camping sites and there is a no burn policy after that sign. Below that sign I believe you can, and I did see a couple of campsites active below , back in the trees.
Bill W.
Yes, I have my Scotch.

Postby Cdwolf » Thu Aug 16, 2012 12:42 pm

Thanks everyone!

Postby tmathews » Thu Aug 16, 2012 12:46 pm

wildlobo71 wrote:There are no campfires allowed around the lake; about 1/2 mile below the lake you enter the numbered camping sites and there is a no burn policy after that sign. Below that sign I believe you can, and I did see a couple of campsites active below , back in the trees.

The White River NF lifted all restrictions, but Pitkin County still has a stage 1 restriction in effect: http://pitkinemergency.org/fire-restrictions/pitkin-county-burn-ban/

Unless the campsites have a metal pit or grate, no fires are allowed right now.

Postby wildlobo71 » Thu Aug 16, 2012 12:50 pm

I swore I saw a posted sign about no fires around the lake - perhaps I am stretching that interpretation to the campsites as well... Either way, I was in campsite 8 3 weeks ago and there was no great evidence of a maintained ring.
Bill W.
Yes, I have my Scotch.

Postby tmathews » Thu Aug 16, 2012 12:52 pm

wildlobo71 wrote:I swore I saw a posted sign about no fires around the lake - perhaps I am stretching that interpretation to the campsites as well... Either way, I was in campsite 8 3 weeks ago and there was no great evidence of a maintained ring.

There could be, yeah. I haven't been back up there since 2010, but I remember the campsites near the lake were practically right at treeline so there weren't many trees to make a fire with, anyway.

Postby cheeseburglar » Thu Aug 16, 2012 1:05 pm

I'm pretty sure it's no campfires at the 8 designated spots up by the lake, but there is a fire ring at one of the overflow spots below the last headwall.
The Pitkin County fire ban might still be in effect.
The marmot said “Nobody is perfect and you are not nobody.”

Random FoTH Quotes

Postby viejo » Thu Aug 16, 2012 1:45 pm

Standard regulations (from USDA site) non-inclusive of declared fire bans...

The following acts are prohibited:

3. Building, maintaining, attending, or using a campfire:

a) within one hundred feet of any lake, stream, or trail

b) within 1/4 mile of treeline or above treeline

c) within the entire Bear Creek drainage

d) within 1/2 mile of Crater Lake, and 1/4 mile of Conundrum Hot Springs, Copper Lake, Geneva Lake, Capitol Lake, Snowmass Lake, or Cathedral Lake