Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

What happened to Missy?

Dogs, dogs and even some cats
Forum rules
Let's try to keep the topics related to mountaineering, please.

What happened to Missy?

Postby douglas » Thu Aug 16, 2012 9:19 am

Not trying to start a debate here - just wanted an update as to how the dog is doing. What were her injuries? Is she fine now? Recovery pictures would be nice.

Re: What happened to Missy?

Postby Jim Davies » Thu Aug 16, 2012 9:28 am

Some people are afraid of heights. Not me, I'm afraid of widths. -- Steven Wright

Postby mtn_hikin » Thu Aug 16, 2012 10:16 am

Jim Davies wrote:Image

HA!

Postby lackerstef » Thu Aug 16, 2012 10:20 am

If this post becomes anything like the original, prepare yourselves for war.... Poor dog.

Postby tmathews » Thu Aug 16, 2012 10:32 am

Haven't seen any updates on her condition, but have seen that she's in the custody of the Clear Creek County Sheriff's Department for now. If you don't already know, the story has gone national. Media outlets from San Francisco and Portland, OR all the way out east to Massachusetts have the story posted on their websites (also includes national websites like usatoday.com and UPI.com).

One good thing that might come out of this for me, personally, is that because 14ers.com is mentioned in all those stories, people are learning what 14ers are and maybe my coworkers won't ask me, "Do you like 14-year-olds or something?" (which has happened in the past). :mrgreen:

Postby JenGa » Thu Aug 16, 2012 10:36 am

tmathews wrote:One good thing that might come out of this for me, personally, is that because 14ers.com is mentioned in all those stories, people are learning what 14ers are and maybe my coworkers won't ask me, "Do you like 14-year-olds or something?" (which has happened in the past). :mrgreen:

:lol: Wow - thanks, I needed that laugh this morning!

Postby jeffs » Thu Aug 16, 2012 10:47 am

Hey, it's flat up here?!

Postby HuskyRunner » Thu Aug 16, 2012 10:49 am

We are calling her Lucky and she is currently in the care of a vet, is being treated like a princess and doing really well. For the most part she was dehydrated but otherwise in good shape.

Clear Creek Animal Control has officially seized control of Lucky but she will remain in the vet's care until custody is resolved.

The eight members of our rescue group sincerely hope that Mr. Ortalani relinquishes control of Lucky so we can move forward with finding her a good home. Several of the news organisations that members of our group have talked with have stated that they have been unable to get a response from Mr. Ortalani.

Several of the group have also expressed a desire to form some sort of rescue organisation to help out with rescuing animals from the backcountry since there appears to be a lack of resources for animals in need; one of the names floated is "Friends of Lucky".
Last edited by HuskyRunner on Thu Aug 16, 2012 4:37 pm, edited 2 times in total.
"I made up my mind not to care so much about the destination, and simply enjoy the journey." David Archuleta
"And if they get out there they see, son of a bitch, this is a beautiful planet." Jim Whittaker

Postby Moraine14 » Thu Aug 16, 2012 10:56 am

HuskyRunner wrote: Several of the group have also expressed a desire to form some sort of rescue organisation to help out with rescuing animals from the backcountry since there appears to be a lack of resources for animals in need; one of the names floated is "Friends of Lucky".

I love it!!! =D>

Postby semitrueskerm » Thu Aug 16, 2012 11:12 am

Bravo! This is the best way to handle this IMO.

Postby edhaman » Thu Aug 16, 2012 11:16 am

"Friends of Lucky" sounds like a good idea. I'd been thinking about proposing the same thing. Maybe someone wanting to organize such a group can let us know who to contact about it, or PM me.

Also, can someone post the name and contact info for the animal rights organization that may be stepping in on Lucky's behalf?

Her story was on the TV news in San Diego last night.

Next