Ascent time for FlatTop?

Colorado peak questions, condition requests and other info.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
    For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
Dark Helmet
14ers: 7 
13ers: 3
Trip Reports (0)

Ascent time for FlatTop?

Post by Dark Helmet »

I'm trying to game-plan my trip to RMNP next month and have gotten several conflicting reports.

I'm a lowlander, but have a decent tolerance for altitude (been vacationing in CO for most of my life and never had any issues), and I'm in pretty darn good shape...

I run 25-30 miles per week (training for a Half-Marathon in October), and hit weights 1-2x per week.

I've always THOUGHT I could get up Flattop in 2-2.5hrs... and 1-1.5hrs to get down.

but I've seen several listings with the hike shown as 6hrs+...

I expect to haul arse and really get a workout on the ascent (solo).

I know I'm crazy, but does this cross over into asinine?
smoove
14ers: 44  11 
13ers: 34 3
Trip Reports (0)

Re: Ascent time for FlatTop?

Post by smoove »

I've only done it once, in winter (edit: actually, it was November 26), with snowshoes on half the way. I think even then it only took 3-4 hours to get to the top. I have 4 miles and 2,900' of gain for the ascent. In the middle of summer with as much running as you've been doing, two hours for the ascent shouldn't be a problem. Edit one more time: I see you're planning to do it on 9/26. There could be some snow and ice higher on the trail by then and possibly stronger winds, so that could slow you down some. But I still think 2 to 2.5 hours is totally reasonable for you.
kimo
14ers: 32  6 
13ers: 116 6
Trip Reports (0)

Post by kimo »

Photo timestamps on my winter Otis ascent show 2.5 hours from Bear Lake to Flattop summit area. And then 2 hours to get down. I'm not particularly fast and I stop and take a lot of pictures.

Hallett Peak will be alluring once you're on top of Flattop. It's right there. Consider giving another hour to ascend Hallett's beautiful summit.
jomagam
14ers: 16 
13ers: 9
Trip Reports (0)

Post by jomagam »

+1 for Hallets. It's second in views only to Longs Peak in RMNP.
Theodore
14ers: 20  1 
Trip Reports (5)

Post by Theodore »

Yankee fans aren't welcome in RMNP. :D
Dark Helmet
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Dark Helmet »

wow... I feel honored, I fullly expected to get flamed for this one.

huge relief!

and Hallett will be determined by how early I get to the TH, as I have to get back down and out to spend the afternoon with the family, but yes I very badly do want to go up to Hallett.

the problem with going up to Hallett is by then it half makes sense to just wander over to Otis, zip down the glacier (conditions allowing), and then down past the Loch, and Dream/Nymph lakes... but that would take ALL DAY, and I don't have ALL DAY.

next year I'm going to do that loop with my son... he should be strong enough by then.

and Ted, you bastage, how the hell are you?
Theodore
14ers: 20  1 
Trip Reports (5)

Post by Theodore »

Good! Heading out to CO next Wed and trying to figure out which 14er I can drag Audrey up. :D She wants something more technical than a Sawatch slog, but not too sketchy... We need to be in Beaver Creek by Thursday evening, so I need to narrow some things down!
Doctor No
14ers: 35  1 
Trip Reports (13)

Post by Doctor No »

I'd budget in some time to negotiate the Bear Lake road reconstruction. I'm not sure when they shut down for the summer (since they plan to continue in 2013).
madbuck
Trip Reports (6)

Post by madbuck »

Dark Helmet wrote: I expect to haul arse and really get a workout on the ascent (solo).

I know I'm crazy, but does this cross over into asinine?
With jogging on the trail itself, it's right around an hour.
Purposeful hiking without stopping would still be under 1.5 hours.
Dark Helmet
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Dark Helmet »

Doctor No wrote:I'd budget in some time to negotiate the Bear Lake road reconstruction. I'm not sure when they shut down for the summer (since they plan to continue in 2013).
I have to shuttle down to the TH from the US36/BLR intersection (or nearby there)... the road closes every morning at 9am until October 10th(?) I don't think I can get up and down in time to be out by 9am...

I'm assuming a 30-minute trip on the shuttle each way at this point... will adjust when I get there and can talk to people.
Dark Helmet
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Dark Helmet »

Theodore wrote:Good! Heading out to CO next Wed and trying to figure out which 14er I can drag Audrey up. :D She wants something more technical than a Sawatch slog, but not too sketchy... We need to be in Beaver Creek by Thursday evening, so I need to narrow some things down!

I'm lost on that... Mt Massive? IIRC that's a little tougher...
mike offerman
14ers: 58 
13ers: 189
Trip Reports (0)

Post by mike offerman »

Dark Helmet wrote:the road closes every morning at 9am until October 10th(?)
I believe that it is only closed to private vehicles heading toward Bear Lake at 9am. If you get to the construction area before 9am, you are allowed to drive to Bear Lake and back out anytime. If you get there after 9am, then a shuttle bus will take you up and back.

http://www.nps.gov/romo/planyourvisit/b ... uction.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;