Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

Inflatable helmet

Info on gear, conditioning, and preparation for hiking/climbing. Gear Classifieds

Inflatable helmet

Postby CO Native » Wed Aug 15, 2012 2:18 pm

It's like wearing an airbag. I wonder if they'll come out with a climbing version. Then I'll be able to climb and look good while doing it. :wft:

http://www.hovding.com/

Remember what your knees are for.
http://www.hikingintherockies.com

Re: Inflatable helmet

Postby Presto » Wed Aug 15, 2012 2:19 pm

:shock: :roll: :wft: :lol:
As if none of us have ever come back with a cool, quasi-epic story instead of being victim to tragic rockfall, a fatal stumble, a heart attack, an embolism, a lightning strike, a bear attack, collapsing cornice, some psycho with an axe, a falling tree, carbon monoxide, even falling asleep at the wheel getting to a mountain. If you can't accept the fact that sometimes "s**t happens", then you live with the illusion that your epic genius and profound wilderness intelligence has put you in total and complete control of yourself, your partners, and the mountain. How mystified you'll be when "s**t happens" to you! - FM

Postby tmathews » Wed Aug 15, 2012 2:36 pm

CO Native wrote:It's like wearing an airbag. I wonder if they'll come out with a climbing version. Then I'll be able to climb and look good while doing it. :wft:

This would be especially useful when climbing over bodies of water since it would also double as a flotation device. :-k

Postby Brian C » Wed Aug 15, 2012 2:45 pm

Reading the "how it works" section is pretty interesting. Weird!

Edit: Just noticed that it's also close to $600 US. Ouch!
Brian in the Wild
Lists of John
"Nature never did betray the heart that loved her." - Wordsworth

Postby BenfromtheEast » Wed Aug 15, 2012 2:49 pm

tmathews wrote:
This would be especially useful when climbing over bodies of water since it would also double as a flotation device. :-k

My understanding is that the engineers have designed the internal accelerometer and gyroscope to detect forces specific to a bicycle crash and initiate deployment. They will surely need a different program to detect a fall from a mountain, or a rock that's about to land on a climber's head. However, it should be fairly simple to add a manual deployment option for flotation purposes.

Postby MonGoose » Wed Aug 15, 2012 2:55 pm

In the event of a water landing, your helmet will act as a flotation device.

Postby GregMiller » Wed Aug 15, 2012 2:56 pm

BenfromtheEast wrote:
tmathews wrote:

My understanding is that the engineers have designed the internal accelerometer and gyroscope to detect forces specific to a bicycle crash and initiate deployment. They will surely need a different program to detect a fall from a mountain, or a rock that's about to land on a climber's head. However, it should be fairly simple to add a manual deployment option for flotation purposes.

Just remember that it's based around a collar - I would imagine (though I thankfully don't know firsthand) that one of the last thing you need when drowning is something physically choking you. (I can't imagine it'd be hard to make some sort of underarm strap, or something like that to keep it down, though)

I'd rather see this as part of a vest or jacket, where you get a full torso airbag, plus a helmet that pops up.
Still Here
been scared and battered. My hopes the wind done scattered. Snow has friz me, Sun has baked me,
Looks like between 'em they done Tried to make me
Stop laughin', stop lovin', stop livin'-- But I don't care! I'm still here!
Langston Hughes

Postby BenfromtheEast » Wed Aug 15, 2012 4:16 pm

farcedude wrote:
I'd rather see this as part of a vest or jacket, where you get a full torso airbag, plus a helmet that pops up.

Ideally it would be triggered to inflate by voice recognition of "ROCK!!!"

Postby speth » Wed Aug 15, 2012 4:32 pm

tmathews wrote:
CO Native wrote:It's like wearing an airbag. I wonder if they'll come out with a climbing version. Then I'll be able to climb and look good while doing it. :wft:

Weird looking. I know that they make life vests that will automatically flip you onto your back in case you passed out or something. My bets are that this one will flip survivors face down.

"Everyone, stay calm! Inflate your helmets and lean backwards into the water. Now, follow me to OOOOHHHHHHH NNNNOOOOOOO!"
I'll be damned if I feel like I will ever know anything, but if we don't keep moving on that last hill, we'll never know what's on the other side.
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
The rain and thunder, the wind and haze are bound for better days. My life, my dream. Nothin's gonna stop me now.
[-X What are you insinuating? Do you think I'm Ranger? =; Because if you do than you are dead wrong.
Sarcasm or not, it's not even funny to post something like this. Not at this time. Reported.

Postby tmathews » Wed Aug 15, 2012 4:36 pm

Also -- is it just me, or does that look a little like a gigantic catcher's mitt? :-s

Postby GregMiller » Wed Aug 15, 2012 5:02 pm

BenfromtheEast wrote:
farcedude wrote:

Ideally it would be triggered to inflate by voice recognition of "ROCK!!!"

You could have some fun with that...

Your buddy is on the summit of Quandary, trying to talk to some surfer girls and impress them with tales of the West Ridge. Walk up behind him and yell "ROCK!!!" Join the laughter.
Still Here
been scared and battered. My hopes the wind done scattered. Snow has friz me, Sun has baked me,
Looks like between 'em they done Tried to make me
Stop laughin', stop lovin', stop livin'-- But I don't care! I'm still here!
Langston Hughes

Postby Kiefer » Wed Aug 15, 2012 7:40 pm

CO Native wrote:http://www.hovding.com/

I have a sudden urge to stick her head in a campfire and eat it. :lol:

Next