Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

Leadville 100 - will this restrict access to THs?

Trailhead conditions, directions, roads, parking, camping, etc. Trailhead Info/Status

Re: Leadville 100 - will this restrict access to THs?

Postby thebeave7 » Tue Aug 14, 2012 3:04 pm

ironman wrote:So do you think the TH to Massive will be bad? We're going to climb that or La Plata this Sunday and were coming in from Buena Vista. Would getting a real early start help?

The Mt Massive TH will be just fine, though depending on when you drive in it could be busy on the road from the Fish Hatchery turnoff. The runners no longer use the CT and Halfmoon Rd, rather they stay closer to treeline in the valley and dump out on the pavement over to Fish Hatchery. Also, depending on what time you drive up, the race cutoff for that area is sometime in the middle of the night (can't recall) so by sunrise Sunday there should not be any runners on the road.

Eric
Me fail English? That's unpossible. http://www.ericjlee.com/Blogs

Postby madbuck » Tue Aug 14, 2012 3:31 pm

FireOnTheMountain wrote: What I'm getting at (and some may get upset with me) is that I feel bad for these people who spent all that money and are frankly in over their heads. !

I don't get upset at it -- not as much as I do the term "Mary," anyway :D -- as some do get in over their heads with the challenge, but it gives folks a chance to try....While Leadville is stingy and certainly a cash cow, in a way, the DNF rate subsidizes the cost from being even higher for finishers: big buckle, sweatshirt, extra food (gross to think about, but dozens of gels at $1/piece :-& , plus coffee/coke/soup/real food > $50 in food)

Postby madbuck » Tue Aug 14, 2012 7:10 pm

thebeave7 wrote:\ One possible change this year is that they built a trail alongside Winfield Rd so the runners shouldn't have to use the road except the last little bit. I have not heard whether they are officially using this trail this year or not though.

Word as of today is that they are using the new trail.
This should ease traffic somewhat on race day (cars moving slowly to give runners the right of way) but as noted, it'll still be busy.

As for the rest of the year, that also means there's another option of hiking a few miles of trail between Winfield and Sheep Gulch -- in case anyone wants to do that! (It's not flat, but rolling, I guess it would be a scenic mellow/non-steep hike that would have good Fall colours)

Previous