Forum rules
This forum is read-only
Jelgan
14ers: 19 
13ers: 6
Trip Reports (3)

Re: Dog Found: Mt. Bierstadt!

Post by Jelgan »

The question people need to step back and ask themselves (not that they likely will) is are you against putting Missy back in Anthony's care because you're worried that she'll end up in a bad situation again, or to punish Anthony? One of those is an acceptable reason, the other isn't. And even for the good reason, your own knowledge of the situation is not complete enough to be able to definitively answer it.

Now, more importantly, awesome work by the rescue party! Wish I had seen this thread over the weekend but it looks like you guys got everything handled very well. Here's hoping that Missy makes a full and speedy recovery!
I fall a lot
Trip Reports (0)

Post by I fall a lot »

Just ask Missy where she'd like to live.
randalmartin
14ers: 58  1 
13ers: 48 2
Trip Reports (13)

Post by randalmartin »

Have been watching and reading this thread. All I have to say is forgiveness is one thing but that doesn't mean you give the dog back to it's original owner. He has lost that privilege with his actions, actions have consequences. Forgiveness simply means you don't hold a grudge.
Last edited by randalmartin on Tue Aug 14, 2012 11:54 am, edited 1 time in total.
QoftheU
Trip Reports (0)

Post by QoftheU »

Tony's friends and family are here posting not because he asked us to.
Because we support him.
Because he is a stand up guy who deserves our support.

When Tony got off that mountain and made his calls for help- and was refused, he was distraught.
When he felt he had no recourse , he was swallowed whole by his guilt.

He did not know about this website, obviously- as he just joined it.

He truly felt she was gone, and he did not think he could do anything more.
As humans we all need to be able to justify our decisions to ourselves if no one else.
Especially if the choices you make are guilt racking.
He lost hope.
Right or Wrong, everyone copes in his or her own way.

That is the why of 8 days passing and why he went out of town to work, as he is obligated to do.
If he had allowed himself to think she was on that mountain alive and waiting-while he was working out of state- he couldn't bear to live with himself.

As a friend of his, as someone who knows his character, as a devoted dog owner/lover myself- Admittedly I even thought "how could he not go and look to be sure after?"
I know there is an answer to that, because that does not sound like a mistake Tony would make.

I read every post in this thread and someone in this community gave me an ahha! moment.

He accepted that he made a horrible mistake that cost Missy her life. He grieved, and prayed and tried to figure out how to deal with it.
He had no idea the ordeal was not over. The people he talked to tried to help him let it go, tried to sooth is pain by ensuring him she would not have survived.

Should his family and friends have convinced him otherwise? Maybe. I probably should have encouraged him to go and look if nothing else but to be sure.
Instead I respected his privacy during this difficult time, and had believed that he wouldn't have found her alive with her injuries.

Should he have held on to hope and found a way to return to be sure she wasn't waiting? In hindsight, obviously he should have. However, the mind is a powerful thing. He believed with his whole heart that he would only find her lifeless, or worse, if he found her at all.

Does throwing stones and being virtuous help now? No. It doesn't.

Missy was well cared for and immensely loved.
I can say this, because I saw it.
She was not "fat" as suggested by another poster.
Did she look fat at 100lbs in the rescue photos?
That comment was just silly.

We all make mistakes, sometimes we can not learn a lesson otherwise.

Tony has not only learned some things but has stood up in front of all of you and taken all your lashings with humility.
He has humbly asked for your forgiveness, thanked you profusely for rescuing Missy, and offered restitution.
He has admitted to his mistakes and shown remorse for his decisions.

What else could you ask for?

Whomever knows Missy's whereabouts would be well advised to contact Tony and give Missy what she is longing for most right now.
Her person.
Last edited by QoftheU on Tue Aug 14, 2012 11:59 am, edited 3 times in total.
onebyone
14ers: 58  1 
Trip Reports (0)

Post by onebyone »

I never like taking dogs w/ me when climbing fourteeners, but have hiked w/ firends who've brought theirs. I was okay w/ it because they weighed less than 50 lbs and were high energy. As many here know, dogs don't talk. When they're done, they're done. They'll just sit there and refuse to go on any farther. You always have to know in the back of your mind, if the s**t hits the fan, I need to be able to carry this dog out. That's why I never take my 85lb golden.
Let's try to put a positive spin on this. I think they'll be many people now who will at least prepare themselves for these worst case scenarios. It's difficult to understand, however, how one wouldn't at least be camped at guanella pass talking to every single hiker going up that mountain. But I have met people who grew up on farms who love their dogs, but still see a dog as just a dog. There are still people who put down their own dogs when they are too old and sick. That's not me, but that's the only conceivable explanation I can think of to explain this dog owner's imcomprehensible behavior. Very strange.
14erFred
14ers: 51 
13ers: 1
Trip Reports (0)

Post by 14erFred »

WWMD? (What would Missy do?)... :?:
"Live as on a mountain." -- Marcus Aurelius
aortolani14
Trip Reports (0)

Post by aortolani14 »

I am going to post this last thing.

First; off please don't chastise the people that are on here to support me. They know and love Missy too, and are thankful and anxious just like I am.
Second; I only post in response to positive posts because that is productive. That doesn't mean I havn't read every single angry post and tried desperately to pull wisdom from it.
Third; I called 911 who put me in touch with the Sherriffs office who contacted the Search and Rescue who said no to going up there. I googled Dog Found on Mt Bierstadt and Dog found on sawtooth all week as that is what I could do while out of state. When I did not see anything I honestly thought she was gone. It broke my heart, but I thought she was gone.
Fourth; I did not post about the blisters, or the pulled muscles. Drinking water out of the creek wasn't the risky thing. Being on a trail that you have no idea how long it is or where it leads with no water added to the stress and is not a good situation.
Fifth; I spoke with the hunters about getting Missy, they told me that it was still a very long hike to the TH and that they felt S&R would get her. We were wrong, that sucked.
Sixth; I am not going to get into the details of my job, but it was nessecary for me to go out of town. Believe it or don't, but it's the truth.
Seventh; The only family I have here in Colorado is my daughter who isn't old enough to drive. I have some friends, but they are not outdoors people. There are a few that I could have called, but seriously I just lost hope, and bringing others into it seemed as bad as good. If the rescuers will not put their lives in jepordy, it didn't really seem all that wise to ask my friends and family to do the same.
Eighth; I am not proud of leaving Missy. I did what I thought was right at the time to protect myself and the teenager that I was with. People say that I should have stayed there and sent my friends son to get help. I was responsible for him, and I was not leaving him there alone with clouds growing over Bierstadt, and I was not going to send him off alone with absolutely no cell service.
Ninth; I am in contact with Animal Control, and the Sheriffs Department. We are all working together to figure this out. I care a lot less about my "punishment" than I do about the lessons that I have learned, and about seeing Missy again.
Tenth; People will say that I should have gone up even after six days. I can't argue with you, and seeing now how she survived like she did I would have. I thought she was dead up there in those conditions and not seeing anything online about it. I was certain that I wouldn't even be able to find her in that giant boulder field laying in between rocks. I didn't even know what to think or do about if I did find her dead. As for posting posters on the TH I wish I did. There was a lot else going through my mind after the experience and I didn't do everything perfectly. I am sorry.

Finally, I want to thank everyone again. You are all heros and I am in awe of your determination and selflessness. I pray that someday I might be able to return the favor in a similar fashion. Please remember that you are all very experienced mountaineers and not everyone else is. I am learning, and I do every time I go into the mountains. I was resourceful enough to get me and the young man that was with me to safety. Thats what I was hanging onto through all of this. I am sorry if you expected more from me in the past, I can only promise to protect her with everything I am in the future.
sanjuanmtneer
14ers: 58 
13ers: 664
Trip Reports (2)

Post by sanjuanmtneer »

I just printed out the picture of the 8 rescuers in the parking lot with Missy so I can put it someplace prominent.
All of them Heroes in MY book.
Absolute Inspirational Heroes.

I'm also writing a check to send to 14ers.com tonight when I get home.

Bless you Bill, you've done a heck of a job, and if weren't for this site I hate to think what would've happened to Missy.

I have a tremendous amount of respect for you rescuers and would love to buy you all a cold one sometime!

YOU TOO BILL!
aortolani14
Trip Reports (0)

Post by aortolani14 »

QoftheU wrote:Tony's friends and family are here posting not because he asked us to.
Because we support him.

When Tony got off that mountain and made his calls for help- and was refused, he was distraught.

As humans we all need to be able to justify our decisions to ourselves if no one else.
He lost hope.

That is the why of 8 days passing and why he went out of town to work, as he is obligated to do.
If he had allowed himself to think she was on that mountain alive and waiting-while he was working out of state- he couldn't bear to live with himself.

As a friend of his, as someone who knows his character, as a devoted dog owner/lover myself- Admittedly I even thought "how could he not go and look to be sure after?"
I know there is an answer to that, because that does not sound like a mistake Tony would make.

I read every post in this thread and someone in this community gave me an ahha! moment.

He accepted that he made a horrible mistake that cost Missy her life. He grieved, and prayed and tried to figure out how to deal with it.
He had no idea the ordeal was not over. The people he talked to tried to help him let it go, tried to sooth is pain by ensuring him she would not have survived.

Should his family and friends have convinced him otherwise? Maybe. I probably should have encouraged him to go and look if nothing else but to be sure.
Instead I respected his privacy during this difficult time, and held faith that he wouldn't have found her alive with her injuries.

Should he have held on to hope and found a way to return to be sure she wasn't waiting? In hindsight, obviously he should have. However, the mind is a powerful thing. He believed with his whole heart that he would only find her lifeless, or worse, if he found her at all.

Does throwing stones and being pious help now? No. It doesn't.

That post was just silly.

Tony has not only learned some things but has stood up in front of all of you and taken all your lashings with humility.
He has humbly asked for your forgiveness, thanked you profusely for rescuing Missy, and offered restitution.

Whomever knows Missy's whereabouts would be well advised to contact Tony and give Missy what she is longing for most right now.
Her person.
THank you Melissa. You as usual are 100% Correct and found the words I could not.
shadykat5150
Trip Reports (0)

Post by shadykat5150 »

QoftheU wrote:Tony's friends and family are here posting not because he asked us to.
Because we support him.

He lost hope.

Instead I respected his privacy during this difficult time, and had believed that he wouldn't have found her alive with her injuries.

Does throwing stones and being pious help now? No. It doesn't.

That post was just silly.

Her person.
Thank you!
screeman57
14ers: 58  19 
13ers: 79 12
Trip Reports (0)

Post by screeman57 »

Hey newbies--you don't have to quote EVERYTHING!!!!
“To be is to do”—Socrates.
“To do is to be”—Jean-Paul Sartre.
“Do be do be do”—Frank Sinatra.
davebks
14ers: 10 
13ers: 10
Trip Reports (3)

Post by davebks »

The guy left his dog up there for over a week with no attempt to rescue her, for whatever reason he had. In my opinion it was animal cruelty. to bring the dog on that route in the first place, not have tags, to abandon the dog, to put others at risk to rescue her and not even be part of it, to not put signs up at the trail head and so on, to basically not do a thing but leave it up there for dead. which is 99% what he did.

Sure, its the guy's dog. It's hard to argue that point and while the dog may have had a great life before this, he abandoned her. In the end I am sure the dog will end up back with him but he shouldn't get the dog back.

The problem is that then you are punishing the dog, not the owner. the dog would rather be home with him, period.

what he did is almost unforgivable, but I guess in life we have to forgive and let people learn their own lessons.
the dog will eventually go home with him but its something he will have to live with, and no one else. He will carry this one on his shoulders alone and hopefully be a better person to others in the future.

So either they will give up the dog or the law will decide.

Regardless, hug your loved ones because you never know what tomorrow will bring.
Last edited by davebks on Tue Aug 14, 2012 12:12 pm, edited 2 times in total.