Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

Dog Found (and saved): Mt. Bierstadt!

Dogs, dogs and even some cats
Forum rules
Let's try to keep the topics related to mountaineering, please.

Re: Dog Found: Mt. Bierstadt!

Postby Navigaiter » Tue Aug 14, 2012 6:06 am

Robzilla wrote:Joe Simpson forgave Simon Yates. Just sayin'. Bad decisions and bad luck compound and soon you find yourself doing things you didn't think you would have done and can't understand why you did later when you look back on them.

Always figured my hundredth post would be used to advocate the metric system. Advocating forgiveness is just as good I suppose. Glad Missy, the owners, and the rescuers are all safe.

Simon Yates had every reason to believe Simpson was dead. And he waited for hours in horrendous conditions before making his horrible decision. I would have forgiven him too. If I was Simpson, why would I think Yates wouldn't have counted me for dead?

aortolani14 walked away from a living, breathing, innocent animal and didn't go back.

Postby sunny1 » Tue Aug 14, 2012 6:09 am

Dogs will follow their humans to their death, that's the kind of loyalty a dog has. What an example to live by.
They form lifelong bonds with their humans.
Her life is in your hands.
Man's best friend. No truer statement.

It is INCOMPREHENSIBLE and IMHO, unforgiveable that you did not post signs at the trailheads (Guanella Pass and Mt Evans - I looked for signs yesterday personally), you did not go look for her, you did not go to her side when she was hurt to provide food and water so she could survive until you could get help to get her out.
You did not try to get her out yourself.
You are clearly not her best friend. You do not have her best interests at heart.

You did nothing.

Strangers took compassion on her helpless state and did what it took to get her out of the mess you put her in.

You show up after everybody did for you what you should have done over 1 week ago.

I cannot see putting this dog back in your care.
The older you get, the better you get, unless you're a banana.

Postby Billy the Kid » Tue Aug 14, 2012 6:11 am

Is anyone else having a tough time understanding this? I understand why you would need to leave the mountain without your dog that day, to save yourself. But there is just one fact to this whole story that I just can't wrap my finger around. As a dog lover myself, who has hiked many 14ers with my dog, I just can't figure this out: Why in the world were you not up there, the next morning looking for your dog!? I CAN understand the panic in that suituation, and how rational thought might be affected that day. But that just does not explain why you did not go back for your dog. It took a group of amazing people, who had never met or loved your dog, to put their own well-being at risk to save your dog. That just does not sound right to me, at all. The thought of one of them not getting to keep the dog after this whole situation, does break my heart a little bit....

But most of all, I am just happy the dog is okay now!

My two cents...
"Today is your day! Your mountain is waiting. So, be on your way."- Dr. Seuss
"I'm not superstitious, but I am a little stitious."- Michael Scott

Postby somethingrandom » Tue Aug 14, 2012 6:11 am

aortolani14 wrote:What day did you climb Bierstadt?

Sunday the 5th. We submitted around 10ish and everything fell appart around noon in the sawtooth.

She doesn't have tags because she is always with me. She doesn't run away or anything like that. It was not deliberate.
I know that people are mad, and I get it. In fact I appreciate it. I am learning so much from all of this. Just knowing that there are so many people that are willing to do something like this is a huge eye opener. I can't bring you all there to when I made that choice and what was going through my head. My kids, my friends son, a lot. I do know that I do want my Missy Girl back. I also know that there are many people that think I don't deserve her back. I can tell you that she would be very happy to see me. I have learned a lot and I am convicted to never let this happen again. Missy is getting another chance, I am asking the same.[/quote]

You left here there for 9 days without trying to go back for her? I pray like hell you dont get her back, who knows what you are capable of. Taking a dog on the Sawtooth and leaving it there borders on animal cruelty but to not even go back to try and get her? What a piece of crap.
-Just as soon as you idiot proof something, some a**hole is just going to come along and make a better idiot.

-To Cessna: "November one, zero, four Lima Papa, wind 080 at 90 peak gusts 120, runway 35 cleared for takeoff"

To fellow controller: "Watch this sh!t"

-Whether climbing or flying, the single greatest thing to remember is that every ascent is optional, and if you feel like making another, your subsequent descent is mandatory.

Postby djkest » Tue Aug 14, 2012 6:12 am

aortolani14 wrote:Hi all,

I am the owner of the German Shepard girl found on Mt. Bierstadt.

First off, I am glad to hear that you and your companion are safe.

However, (as you now know) you made some huge mistakes. The terrain was too rugged for your dog. When you are lowering your dog with a rope and harness, your dog shouldn't be there.

I am not a dog person, but I understand that dogs are family. I would never leave my family behind. I would go to the ends of the earth to keep my family and close friends safe. I am amazed you didn't go back up there to rescue her. It appears you are using this opporitunity to learn a valuable lesson.

I don't have an opionion on wether or not you should get your dog back- I'll leave that to others.
Life is a mountain, not a beach.
Exploring and Wine, my personal blog

Postby Navigaiter » Tue Aug 14, 2012 6:14 am

sunny1 wrote:Dogs will follow their humans to their death, that's the kind of loyalty a dog has. What an example to live by.
They form lifelong bonds with their humans.
Her life is in your hands.
Man's best friend. No truer statement.

It is INCOMPREHENSIBLE and IMHO, unforgiveable that you did not post signs at the trailheads (Guanella Pass and Mt Evans - I looked for signs yesterday personally), you did not go look for her, you did not go to her side when she was hurt to provide food and water so she could survive until you could get help to get her out.
You did not try to get her out yourself.
You are clearly not her best friend. You do not have her best interests at heart.

You did nothing.

Strangers took compassion on her helpless state and did what it took to get her out of the mess you put her in.

You show up after everybody did for you what you should have done over 1 week ago.

I cannot see putting this dog back in your care.

+1

The more I think about all the things that weren't done to rescue her before the good people of 14ers.com got involved, the more I hope against hope that she is never allowed to go back to those who abandoned her.

Postby its_not_a_tuba » Tue Aug 14, 2012 6:18 am

I can't believe that poor dog was up there for a week. That is just heartbreaking. What is even worse is how many people hiked right by this poor animal, saw her and took no action? Obviously there had to be a lot, she could not have lived that long without support from passers by.
"Wilderness settles peace on the soul because it needs no help. It is beyond human contrivance." -- E.O. Wilson

Postby SolarAlex » Tue Aug 14, 2012 6:19 am

so you leave the dog for 8 days, dont do anything, dont try to go back with friends to get her, nada. just leave her there to die a slow, miserable death. seems reasonable.

now you want the dog back...after all the effort we went through to get the dog off the mountain, i dont think i can support giving her back to you. sorry, but i would hate to see this dog go back to someone who so callously left her on the side of the mountain and then did NOTHING for over a week.

i could forgive you leaving the dog bc of weather or inability to move her, but why didnt you go back with your friends? why did you do nothing? just abandoning her is unforgivable
Last edited by SolarAlex on Tue Aug 14, 2012 6:26 am, edited 1 time in total.

Postby denvergator » Tue Aug 14, 2012 6:23 am

For those who didn't see the story on 9news last night, here's the link

http://www.9news.com/news/sidetracks/282956/337/Hikers-rescue-abandoned-dog-from-14er

All you folks who went up to save Missy are amazing. Thank you for what you did.

Postby its_not_a_tuba » Tue Aug 14, 2012 6:24 am

aortolani14 - I hope you and your friend are young - because only a childish level of youthful denial and immaturity could possibly explain your actions. I also hope you have a lot of room to grow into a responsible person. I suspect that this experience will help with that quite a bit.
"Wilderness settles peace on the soul because it needs no help. It is beyond human contrivance." -- E.O. Wilson

Postby I fall a lot » Tue Aug 14, 2012 6:26 am

Billy the Kid wrote:Is anyone else having a tough time understanding this? I understand why you would need to leave the mountain without your dog that day, to save yourself. But there is just one fact to this whole story that I just can't wrap my finger around. As a dog lover myself, who has hiked many 14ers with my dog, I just can't figure this out: Why in the world were you not up there, the next morning looking for your dog!? I CAN understand the panic in that suituation, and how rational thought might be affected that day. But that just does not explain why you did not go back for your dog. It took a group of amazing people, who had never met or loved your dog, to put their own well-being at risk to save your dog. That just does not sound right to me, at all.

But most of all, I am just happy the dog is okay now!

Pretty much my opinion too. Can't understand it....unless the guilt of leaving Missy was just too overwhelming and it's just easier to put your head in the sand.

I have no right to say who should keep the dog, but hearing that the dog and rescuers are safe is great news!!

Postby djkest » Tue Aug 14, 2012 6:27 am

The only (somewhat) reasonable explanation I can come up with is that he thought his dog was already dead (which he mentioned)... hence didn't try to make a rescue later.

edit: added the word somewhat.
Life is a mountain, not a beach.
Exploring and Wine, my personal blog

PreviousNext