Forum rules
This forum is read-only
LupinMorningwake
14ers: 18 
13ers: 8
Trip Reports (0)

Re: Dog Found: Mt. Bierstadt!

Post by LupinMorningwake »

Awesome job! A coworker and I had been watching this thread all weekend and am happy to see that it ended well!
MountainHiker
14ers: 58  2 
13ers: 109
Trip Reports (7)

Post by MountainHiker »

Let’s reserve judgment on the owner until we know what happened. It’s conceivable she was with a family who drove up Mt Evans, chased a marmot and got lost. If they weren’t climbers they wouldn’t know about 14ers.com but perhaps tried other ways to publicize. They could have contacted who they thought were the proper authorities. Think of the prolifera of overlapping and multiple jurisdictions we have in even a single county. A lost dog isn’t going to be the highest priority to some of them as was eluded to early in this thread. A found dog and a lost dog report might not get matched up if either of them languished on the wrong desk. There could be a kid crying himself to sleep tonight not knowing his best friend is now safe.
Red, Rugged, and Rotten: The Elk Range - Borneman & Lampert
JimR
14ers: 56 
13ers: 73
Trip Reports (8)

Post by JimR »

Wow. Just an awesome response by all the folks involved in finding & rescuing the poor pup. That should recharge any karma account. Very, very nice work. A big thank you from--well, from everyone who cares.

Mountainhiker: Good point & well said.
I have more age than experience, more experience than knowledge, and more knowledge than wisdom.
Yet somehow I usually make it back to the car safely; and oftentimes, so do the people that I'm with.
2_Salukis
14ers: 20 
Trip Reports (1)

Post by 2_Salukis »

Thank you rescuers for your efforts, for being successful, and for making my day!
rking007
14ers: 13  1 
13ers: 19 2
Trip Reports (7)

Post by rking007 »

MountainHiker wrote:Let’s reserve judgment on the owner until we know what happened. It’s conceivable she was with a family who drove up Mt Evans, chased a marmot and got lost. If they weren’t climbers they wouldn’t know about 14ers.com but perhaps tried other ways to publicize. They could have contacted who they thought were the proper authorities. Think of the prolifera of overlapping and multiple jurisdictions we have in even a single county. A lost dog isn’t going to be the highest priority to some of them as was eluded to early in this thread. A found dog and a lost dog report might not get matched up if either of them languished on the wrong desk. There could be a kid crying himself to sleep tonight not knowing his best friend is now safe.

Very well said sir.
- Stand at the crossroads and look; ask for the ancient paths, ask where the good way is, and walk in it, and you will find rest for your souls.
Navigaiter
14ers: 46 
13ers: 49
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Navigaiter »

MountainHiker wrote:Let’s reserve judgment on the owner until we know what happened. It’s conceivable she was with a family who drove up Mt Evans, chased a marmot and got lost. If they weren’t climbers they wouldn’t know about 14ers.com but perhaps tried other ways to publicize. They could have contacted who they thought were the proper authorities. Think of the prolifera of overlapping and multiple jurisdictions we have in even a single county. A lost dog isn’t going to be the highest priority to some of them as was eluded to early in this thread. A found dog and a lost dog report might not get matched up if either of them languished on the wrong desk. There could be a kid crying himself to sleep tonight not knowing his best friend is now safe.
I'd normally reserve judgement, but in this thread, someone mentioned they passed this very dog and the owners, and she was struggling and the owners were talking about bailing. Granted, that poster said they were only 95% sure, but it sure as heck seems like an abandonment.

However, I do hope I'm wrong.
I fall a lot
Trip Reports (0)

Post by I fall a lot »

Nice!!
hvolmer
14ers: 20 
13ers: 32
Trip Reports (0)

Post by hvolmer »

I'm glad you said this, because it makes good sense. I can't come up with another explanation that doesn't break my heart.

That being said, when I encountered her and the two men with her, they were a long way from what I would consider dog-friendly terrain (the top of Bierstadt .) It took me an hour (of albeit disorganized climbing) to get down to where I met them. It would have been a hell of a ramble for a dog chasing after a critter to be all the way down there if she bolted from the top. If they were hiking that with her: shame.

I think that they were over their head and made a terrible decision to leave her. I certainly would have helped them out had I detected a problem, or had they asked. It was enough work getting my own butt out of there. Carrying an exhausted, large dog would be brutal.

Why two people would together choose to leave her, I cannot understand. One person, maybe. But two? That seems double-cruel. I really hope there is a good explanation.
Navigaiter
14ers: 46 
13ers: 49
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Navigaiter »

live4pc wrote:
Agree, this thread is a good example of what happens when we jump to conclusions and unorganized search plans.
Unorganized search plans that resulted in one of the most amazing and heartwarming stories in many years. Thanks a ton to the unorganized folk who saved an innocent life! Most of us really appreciate it.
harripat
14ers: 6 
Trip Reports (0)

Post by harripat »

I have followed 14ers.com posts for quite some without posting anything. I cannot think of a better time to make a first post. Well done to all of those involved - you truly are heroes in every sense of the word.
Mark A Steiner
14ers: 3 
13ers: 11
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Mark A Steiner »

live4pc wrote:Glad the dog is well and everyone on the task are well and good.
Amen. I like a good ending. Regardless of the apparent disposition of the owners, I hope they are safe too.

N-I-C-E D-O-G-G-I-E ...
Not that I speak in respect of want: for I have learned, in whatever state I am, therewith to be content - Paul the Apostle.
Like it or not, I am a slow driver. Putt ... putt ... putt ...
Good day.
Massholeo
14ers: 7 
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Massholeo »

Outstanding, certainly good to hear, particularly as one of the folks whose heart may have been bigger than his head that initial night. Great job to all involved, not an easy task.