Dogs on Class 3

Dogs, dogs and even some cats
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
gearhunter
Trip Reports (0)

Re: Dogs on Class 3

Post by gearhunter »

oldschoolczar wrote:
gearhunter wrote:I personally believe that we need to support laws that would make it illegal to take a dog on anything more than Class 1 terrain.
You do know you live in the land of the free and the home of the brave right?

Do you really think what we need is a LAW against this? C'mon man where's your independent American spirit!?

Live and let live! I have no desire to take a dog up N Maroon, but I have no problem with someone else doing it...
What was I thinking. Perhaps we need to get rid of those silly animal cruelty laws as well so I can kick every dog that walks down the trail. Long live the land of the free !!!!!

I would support any measure to help ensure this does not happen again. Yeah I love dogs not stupid politics.
James Dziezynski
14ers: 58 
Trip Reports (5)

Post by James Dziezynski »

Here's my two cents:

Dogs have incredible loyalty, many would follow their owners into a burning building. I think it's very important that hikers and climbers do not project their passions onto their pets. My rule is I never take my dogs on anything other than class 2 terrain and even then, I make sure it's not exposed (for example, the catwalk on Castle). The upshot is I get to explore tons of great new mountains with them. Close to the Front Range I've had wonderful days on Woods Mountain, Mount Parnassus, Mount Edwards, Argentine Peak, Bard Peak and Silver Plume Mountain.

I hope that anyone bringing a dog into the wilderness does so thoughtfully and with respect to their dog's limitations. I'm not about to tell people they shouldn't have a dog on class 3 terrain, but I would never forgive myself if my dog had a slip or chased a marmot over a cliff. Dogs are brave, smart and bold -- just like people -- and we owe it to them to give them an outlet to experience the wonder of the mountains. I just hope that the ego of the owners doesn't get in the way of that.

As a side note, I have a "3 to 1" rule for my pups. For every 3 dog adventures I have, I "earn" a technical day in the mountains :)
“Dogs teach us a very important lesson in life: The mail man is not to be trusted.” — Sian Ford
Wildernessjane
14ers: 58  13  46 
13ers: 256 23 19
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Wildernessjane »

blazebo wrote:
Greenhouseguy wrote:I'll reserve my opinion, but I thought that it might be useful to compile some information for people who are considering taking their dogs into the rougher terrain:

Shepherd on Sawtooth

Dogs on Quandary's West Ridge

Last but not least:

The Saga of Dexter

I put my great dane on top of Wetterhorn last year. isnt that why they make dog harnesses? short rope and some claws were a diggin in on the decent. i think we are going to take her on the north bell on labor day as well. its all bout the owner not the dog. dogs will follow
their owners to death if that is where they are led
Don't forget the story of the dog, Loki, who was rescued off Lost Rat Couloir: http://14ers.com/php14ers/tripreport.ph ... m=tripuser" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Here's another one where a dog had to be carried out after she developed pulmonary edema: http://www.14ers.com/php14ers/triprepor ... m=tripuser" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

And OMG you are considering taking your Great Dane up North Maroon peak!?! Respectfully, have you considered the risk you are going to put others in by doing so (not to mention your dog)?
“Climb mountains not so the world can see you, but so you can see the world.” -David McCullough?
DeucesWild
14ers: 58  1 
13ers: 2
Trip Reports (0)

Post by DeucesWild »

Wildernessjane wrote:And OMG you are considering taking your Great Dane up North Maroon peak!?! Respectfully, have you considered the risk you are going to put others in by doing so (not to mention your dog)?
He doesn't care. He also found it appropriate to say this in response to my comment about whistling rocks:
blazebo wrote:better than whistling New yorkers...
I don't know about you, but I read this as a reference to 9-11 and find it typical of this dolt, and offensive.

Hopefully, karma will catch up with the swine.
Snowflakes, Uber Alles!

http://www.deuceIRA.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;. Put the Douche in your FiDeuceiary needs today!!
ulvetano
14ers: 58  9  7 
13ers: 48 2 1
Trip Reports (20)

Post by ulvetano »

I don't know about you, but I read this as a reference to 9-11 and find it typical of this dolt, and offensive.

Hopefully, karma will catch up with the swine.[/quote]

I didn't think that's what he meant. Simmer down. He may just not be in tune with climbing vernacular ('whistling rocks').
DeucesWild
14ers: 58  1 
13ers: 2
Trip Reports (0)

Post by DeucesWild »

ulvetano wrote:He may just not be in tune with climbing vernacular ('whistling rocks').
He has an extensive climbing resume. Whistling rocks is clear to anyone that does.
Snowflakes, Uber Alles!

http://www.deuceIRA.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;. Put the Douche in your FiDeuceiary needs today!!
Wildernessjane
14ers: 58  13  46 
13ers: 256 23 19
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Wildernessjane »

DeucesWild wrote:
Wildernessjane wrote:And OMG you are considering taking your Great Dane up North Maroon peak!?! Respectfully, have you considered the risk you are going to put others in by doing so (not to mention your dog)?
He doesn't care. He also found it appropriate to say this in response to my comment about whistling rocks:

Hopefully, karma will catch up with the swine.
I rarely, if ever, post on these things but that comment about taking a Great Dane up North Maroon peak just about sent me into a panic attack. I'm getting ready to tackle the Bells as my last two Colorado 14ers. I suppose I should be thankful...as I'll make sure I am nowhere near the Maroon Bells on Labor Day weekend.
Last edited by Wildernessjane on Mon Aug 13, 2012 5:50 pm, edited 2 times in total.
“Climb mountains not so the world can see you, but so you can see the world.” -David McCullough?
oldschoolczar
14ers: 45  1  1 
13ers: 7
Trip Reports (0)

Post by oldschoolczar »

gearhunter wrote:
What was I thinking. Perhaps we need to get rid of those silly animal cruelty laws as well so I can kick every dog that walks down the trail. Long live the land of the free !!!!!

I would support any measure to help ensure this does not happen again. Yeah I love dogs not stupid politics.
Nobody ever said to get rid of the animal cruelty laws... Nice straw man attempt...

I still hope your original post was facetious because it's beyond laughable!
“what matters most is
how well you
walk through the
fire” -Charles Bukowski
screeman57
14ers: 58  19 
13ers: 79 12
Trip Reports (0)

Post by screeman57 »

@oldschoolczar: it was not a "straw man attempt," but an extension of your flawed "logic." i.e. "do you really think we need a LAW to prevent animal cruelty?" The assumption being that if there wasn't one, you would be against such a law, as it would infringe upon your "civil rights."

Try to keep up, man.
“To be is to do”—Socrates.
“To do is to be”—Jean-Paul Sartre.
“Do be do be do”—Frank Sinatra.
oldschoolczar
14ers: 45  1  1 
13ers: 7
Trip Reports (0)

Post by oldschoolczar »

screeman57 wrote:@oldschoolczar: it was not a "straw man attempt," but an extension of your flawed "logic." i.e. "do you really think we need a LAW to prevent animal cruelty?" The assumption being that if there wasn't one, you would be against such a law, as it would infringe upon your "civil rights."

Try to keep up, man.
OK Bro, why don't you let the guy speak for himself. It was an implied straw man as far as I'm concerned - misrepresentation of my position and then discrediting that position.

1. This guy doesn't think there should be a law keeping dogs off 14ers

Makes a big jump to:

2. This guy doesn't care about animal welfare

Which leads to:

3. This guy thinks we should allow animal cruelty...

Any logical person can see that his response was meaningless...

Call it what you will... all you need to do is tune into Glen Beck to see how the tactic works...

The point is: At this point in time, I'm satisfied with the laws we have in place protecting our pets. Adding additional laws will cost time and money and it's not something that is worthwhile in my opinion. Are dogs on 14ers really that big of a problem that we need laws dictating what me and my dog can do in the mountains... one of the last bastions of true independence and freedom?

Hey, maybe we shouldn't allow dogs in cars with windows rolled down because they could get hurt! Let's make a law! It's a slippery slope my friend...

I actually hate politics.. I enjoy freedom. I don't know how I got mixed up in a Dogs thread.. I thought I knew better. But if you wanna go toe to toe on this I'll stick around :D
screeman57 wrote:"independent American spirit"= petulant teenager spirit ("don't tell me what to do!")
Spoken like a true patriot!
Last edited by oldschoolczar on Mon Aug 13, 2012 6:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
“what matters most is
how well you
walk through the
fire” -Charles Bukowski
Greenhouseguy
14ers: 41  10 
13ers: 185 5
Trip Reports (71)

Post by Greenhouseguy »

I started this thread so people could share information about the pros and cons of taking dogs on Class 3 terrain. Well-intentioned people might find this information useful before they decide to put their dog in an unnecessarily dangerous situation. If people want to turn it into a typical 14ers.com piss fight, there are already several better ones in progress.
"May your boulder be your blessing." - Aron Ralston
screeman57
14ers: 58  19 
13ers: 79 12
Trip Reports (0)

Post by screeman57 »

@greenhouseguy: you're absolutely right. my apologies.
“To be is to do”—Socrates.
“To do is to be”—Jean-Paul Sartre.
“Do be do be do”—Frank Sinatra.