Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

Stewart Creek TH Camping

Trailhead conditions, directions, roads, parking, camping, etc. Trailhead Info/Status

Stewart Creek TH Camping

Postby Neil » Mon Aug 13, 2012 10:44 am

Howdy,

I am taking my family on a 3.5 day road trip around CO for Labor Day weekend. We will likely camp at each stop using a big four-person family tent. One of those days, I will spend hiking San Luis while the fam stays behind and explores the lower Stewart Creek drainage.

Is there sufficent space at or near the Stewart Creek TH to pitch a large family-sized tent? Thanks for any input!

Cheers,

Neil
"On the edge of the porch in the warm evening night
Throwing the bone for the dog I see two passing lights
Well, I wonder where that driver's bound
Is there someone, somewhere, someway out there that I've not found"
-Driving Song

Re: Stewart Creek TH Camping

Postby Rainier_Wolfcastle » Mon Aug 13, 2012 11:01 am

The TH itself has a pretty large parking/potential camping area, but I would suggest camping at one of the pullouts you'll pass on the way to the TH. I remember there being more than one pullout within a mile or so of the TH with enough space for RVs/tents/etc.
Shawn D
Broomfield, CO

Postby Fleischco » Mon Aug 13, 2012 11:32 am

http://www.14ers.com/php14ers/tripreport.php?trip=8598&parmuser=Fleischco&cpgm=tripuser
There is an excellent, large campsite right before the elbow in the road at the trailhead. If that is taken there are many within close proximity.

Postby Neil » Mon Aug 13, 2012 2:01 pm

Thank you both VERY much for the information! Since we only have one car, I want to be sure our campsite is a reasonable distance to the trailhead so I can just get up and hike. It makes me feel better if my wife and child have access to the car during the day. That said, we will need to find a spot as close to the trailhead as possible.
-Driving Song

Postby Fleischco » Mon Aug 13, 2012 2:22 pm

Neil-
We walked right across the road, down a short slope and onto the trail out of our campsite (75 yards up from the trailhead parking lot) and simply joined the trail. You won't need a car from any of the camp sites near this trailhead.

Postby SpringsJeff » Mon Aug 13, 2012 2:26 pm

+1 on the campsite at the elbow. Nice flat open spot.

+++++++++++1 on the Deet. Mosquitos are terrible.

Family could hike partway up the trail with you. There are a ton of beaver dams in the drainage and you can go a couple miles before it gets steep.

Postby huffy13 » Mon Aug 13, 2012 2:26 pm

Neil wrote:Howdy,

I am taking my family on a 3.5 day road trip around CO for Labor Day weekend. We will likely camp at each stop using a big four-person family tent. One of those days, I will spend hiking San Luis while the fam stays behind and explores the lower Stewart Creek drainage.

Is there sufficent space at or near the Stewart Creek TH to pitch a large family-sized tent? Thanks for any input!

Cheers,

Neil

I have a twelve person tent that I had plenty of room to set up at the Stewart Creek TH. There are also some places within a mile or two of the TH that would work also that run pretty close to the creek and close to some of the ponds.
Seems like the times that I need a mountain the most are the times that I can not get to them.

Postby Neil » Mon Aug 13, 2012 9:09 pm

Thank you all again. I appreciate you taking the time to help our family. This will be my two-year-old's first camping trip!
-Driving Song