Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

chewed trekking pole grips

Info on gear, conditioning, and preparation for hiking/climbing. Gear Classifieds

Re: chewed trekking pole grips

Postby mtgirl » Mon Aug 13, 2012 12:35 pm

I had the same thing happen to my Black Diamond poles on Wetterhorn years ago. I ended up getting a new pair as a gift, but wondered if these replacement grips would work ??

http://gossamergear.com/trekking/trekking-accessories/lightrek-replacement-grips.html
"Life is not measured by the breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away."

Postby metalmountain » Mon Aug 13, 2012 2:03 pm

Fletch wrote:
Steve Gio wrote:So I recieved a response from Black Diamond. They said there is nothing they can do and don't have a fix. The grips are not replaceable and they suggested seam grip or shoe goo.

Uggg... sorry! Sometimes it all depends on who you talk to...

I had a similar experience a few months ago. Although I have cork handles instead of the foam ones. I bought a brand new pair of BD's and took them on one hike. Went out to get some drinks one night and left them sitting in the corner of my living room. Came home and my dog had made a chew toy out of one of the handles :evil: I emailed BD and they said they was nothing they could do and said I could buy a pair of last years models at close out price, but they were already sold out.
"The greatest battle is not physical but psychological. The demons telling us to give up when we push ourselves to the limit can never be silenced for good. They must always be answered by the quiet, steady dignity that simply refuses to give in. Courage. We all suffer. Keep going." - Graeme Fife

"I found that nothing truly matters, that you cannot find for free." - The Gaslight Anthem

Postby markhingston » Mon Aug 13, 2012 2:07 pm

Chewed trekking pole handles - and other salty, sweaty stuff - of course is quite common. I was also unsuccessful at finding a replacement for chewed BD poles and have used a generous wrap of duct tape instead. I suggest "breaking in" the tape to make sure you don't get blisters or glue on your hands. (REI offered to take them back, but that seemed an abuse of their policy. REI is not responsible for marmot chewing parties.) One additional thought: if you leave the poles, leave them standing vertically in a small rock pile. At least the critters will have to do some work before chowing down on the salt.
Solvitur ambulatum.

Postby screeman57 » Mon Aug 13, 2012 2:10 pm

markhingston wrote: One additional thought: if you leave the poles, leave them standing vertically in a small rock pile. At least the critters will have to do some work before chowing down on the salt.

Another good technique is to place the tips on the edge of a boulder with the handle end sticking out into the air. put a rock on the tip end to keep them stable,
"Never measure the height of a mountain until you have reached the top. Then you will see how low it was." -Dag Hammarskjold

Postby tmathews » Mon Aug 13, 2012 2:15 pm

screeman57 wrote:
markhingston wrote: One additional thought: if you leave the poles, leave them standing vertically in a small rock pile. At least the critters will have to do some work before chowing down on the salt.

Another good technique is to place the tips on the edge of a boulder with the handle end sticking out into the air. put a rock on the tip end to keep them stable,

Won't keep mountain goats from getting them. That would actually make it less of an effort! I'm not sure if bighorn sheep will chew on your sweaty/salty things, but this technique may work better in the Sangres than in other ranges.

Postby GregMiller » Mon Aug 13, 2012 2:19 pm

markhingston wrote:(REI offered to take them back, but that seemed an abuse of their policy. REI is not responsible for marmot chewing parties.)

I figure that's why I shop at REI - I'm not going to do that for the vast majority of products I buy, but when something goes wrong, I can take it back and get it replaced - often, I'll end up buying something else while I'm there, so between that and what they sell the old stuff for at the garage sale (Boulder REI this Saturday), I can't imagine they're losing anything.

As far as leaving poles someplace, I've never had problems, but I've read enough horror stories (attack of the marmot!) recently that I've just started strapping them on my pack. It's often enough that I want to take a different route down on a whim, as well.
Still Here
been scared and battered. My hopes the wind done scattered. Snow has friz me, Sun has baked me,
Looks like between 'em they done Tried to make me
Stop laughin', stop lovin', stop livin'-- But I don't care! I'm still here!
Langston Hughes

Postby JenGa » Mon Aug 13, 2012 9:57 pm

Just saw this. I totally relate to your chewed treking poles. Last summer I left my poles near the bottom of a scree slope on Sunlight, figuring that I would just pick them up on the way down. Big mistake. When we came down I didn't even recognize them as mine because not one bit of straps or foam was left. Seriously completely different poles. I didn't even pick them up because I thought they were someone else's. Later, after not finding mine we concluded that those were in fact mine. By then I was out of energy to go back and get them. I became one of those "gear abandoners" and I am not proud of it.

Previous