Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

labor day weekend

FAQ and threads for those just starting to hike the Colorado 14ers.

labor day weekend

Postby paulO » Mon Aug 13, 2012 9:37 am

Hello!

I'm headed to Colorado over the Labor Day weekend. Are there some 14ers that will be more crowded than others? Right now we are planning on a Grays and Torreys combo, probably Sunday.

Any feedback would be appreciated. :D

Re: labor day weekend

Postby IkeB » Mon Aug 13, 2012 9:40 am

The easy ones will all be crowded. Start before sunrise and you will miss the majority of the crowd.

Postby Scott P » Mon Aug 13, 2012 9:41 am

Are there some 14ers that will be more crowded than others?

Yes. Especially those:

Right now we are planning on a Grays and Torreys combo, probably Sunday.
I'm slow and fat. Unfortunately, those are my good qualities.

Postby paulO » Mon Aug 13, 2012 9:45 am

Mt.Massive? :(

Postby GregMiller » Mon Aug 13, 2012 9:50 am

Massive should be a less crowded, but it's a lot longer with a lot more elevation gain. Start early, with lots of high energy food to keep you going, if that's what you want.

(edited for clarity)
Still Here
been scared and battered. My hopes the wind done scattered. Snow has friz me, Sun has baked me,
Looks like between 'em they done Tried to make me
Stop laughin', stop lovin', stop livin'-- But I don't care! I'm still here!
Langston Hughes

Postby paulO » Mon Aug 13, 2012 9:54 am

Thanks for the info folks :)

Postby GregMiller » Mon Aug 13, 2012 10:00 am

For 'easier' routes, you can look here:

http://www.14ers.com/routes_2.php

If you can handle the semi-4wd road (plenty of subarus make it up) going in to the trailhead, Huron Peak is pretty nice - less mileage, less altitude gain, and gorgeous views. It just takes more time to get there.
Still Here
been scared and battered. My hopes the wind done scattered. Snow has friz me, Sun has baked me,
Langston Hughes

Postby paulO » Mon Aug 13, 2012 10:18 am

We are flying into Denver and renting a car. I doubt it will be a sube. I did Quandary last year without much trouble and I'm in way better shape this year(I think).

We were thinking of staying in Boulder, but with school back in session that might be the worst possible place. Is that assessment correct?

Postby davebks » Mon Aug 13, 2012 11:11 am

everyone will be at phish that weekend so you should be good ;)

on your climb you should look for Icculus, the prophet.
Wrap your fingers around a knotted root, And pull your body upwards, To a sea green mossy boulder, And drag your weary shit-ass up the mountain.
Last edited by davebks on Mon Aug 13, 2012 4:17 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Postby Neil » Mon Aug 13, 2012 11:33 am

davebks wrote:everyone will be at phish that weekend so you should be good

HA! This.
"On the edge of the porch in the warm evening night
Throwing the bone for the dog I see two passing lights
Well, I wonder where that driver's bound
Is there someone, somewhere, someway out there that I've not found"
-Driving Song

Postby GregMiller » Mon Aug 13, 2012 11:39 am

School starts the week before that, so I'd think the freshman's parents would be mostly cleared out. If you're looking to go out drinking and hit Pearl Street, I'd say to stay in Boulder, and take advantage of the bus system to get around. If you're looking for a quieter time, probably get a hotel outside of Boulder.

For Huron, you could also just park at Winfield (end of the 2WD road), and hike from there. You'll add 4.25 miles and 300 feet, so I'd figure an hour to two on each end of the hike. Plus, someone might take pity on you and give you a ride up the road (but I wouldn't totally count on it).
Still Here
Langston Hughes

Postby thebeave7 » Mon Aug 13, 2012 12:34 pm

farcedude wrote:School starts the week before that, so I'd think the freshman's parents would be mostly cleared out. If you're looking to go out drinking and hit Pearl Street, I'd say to stay in Boulder, and take advantage of the bus system to get around. If you're looking for a quieter time, probably get a hotel outside of Boulder.

For Huron, you could also just park at Winfield (end of the 2WD road), and hike from there. You'll add 4.25 miles and 300 feet, so I'd figure an hour to two on each end of the hike. Plus, someone might take pity on you and give you a ride up the road (but I wouldn't totally count on it).

With school back in session Boulder will be a bit of a cluster, especially since most of the students won't be doing much academically and more partying/drinking. I like to avoid the next few weekends in Boulder for that reason. Come late Sept they will all realize how far behind they are and start cramming for their first midterm :roll:

Huron is a great option, and according to my friend who went up there recently the road is fairly dry and her Subaru Outback had no trouble getting to the TH. So if you can get a Subaru, Rav4, or similar would open you options up. If you can handle 4500ft/10mi RT then that opens up a lot more options that will be less crowded. Massive SW slope has nice views, Huron is nice, Yale via Denny Creek, La Plata standard route. All of those will be less crowded than Greys/Torreys, Quandary, DeCaLiBron.

Eric
Me fail English? That's unpossible. http://www.ericjlee.com/Blogs

Next