Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

Looking for an 'easy' backpack

Trailhead conditions, directions, roads, parking, camping, etc. Trailhead Info/Status

Looking for an 'easy' backpack

Postby lwnichols » Sun Aug 12, 2012 10:23 am

I'm recovering from an injury and looking for a fairly easy backpack. I did James Peak Wilderness from East Portal to Rogers Pass in July. We camped near Rogers Pass Lake. It was only about 4 miles to Rogers Pass Lake. Then a little over a mile dayhike to the top of Rogers Pass. With the steepness, it was about all I could do.

I'm looking for an easier backpack for the week after Labor Day weekend. Probably Sun 09/02 - Fri, 09/07. Will it still be too hot in the Lost Creek Wilderness? Any recommendation for a basecamp backpacking trail? Somewhere about 5 or 6 miles from trailhead, that we can do day hikes from?

Would a hike up Fall Creek from Tigiwon Road be a fairly easy backpack? At least on that one, my companions have the option of doing the Holy Cross 14er, if they want to.

Thanks, Leni

Re: Looking for an 'easy' backpack

Postby Hungry Jack » Sun Aug 12, 2012 10:50 am

Gore Range: Willow or Salmon Lakes from Rock Creek. IIRC its about 6 miles and 1800 vert feet to Salmon. Great views and good scramble up to Mt Silverthorne and East Thorne. Good view of Zodiac from upper Willow Lakes.

Postby lwnichols » Sun Aug 12, 2012 4:23 pm

Hungry Jack wrote:Gore Range: Willow or Salmon Lakes from Rock Creek. IIRC its about 6 miles and 1800 vert feet to Salmon. Great views and good scramble up to Mt Silverthorne and East Thorne. Good view of Zodiac from upper Willow Lakes.

Thanks, Hungry Jack! I hadn't thought of that area. Sounds like it might work well. I'll check it out closely.

Thanks, again. L.

Postby Jim Davies » Sun Aug 12, 2012 4:25 pm

You could hike up Lost Creek toward the shafthouse from the Goose Creek trailhead, which is about 4 miles/1000' one way. There are a few places to camp before the shafthouse area itself, if you don't feel up to the whole hike in. I doubt if it would be too hot, but this year who knows....
Some people are afraid of heights. Not me, I'm afraid of white blood cells.

Postby lwnichols » Sun Aug 12, 2012 5:52 pm

Jim Davies wrote:You could hike up Lost Creek toward the shafthouse from the Goose Creek trailhead, which is about 4 miles/1000' one way. There are a few places to camp before the shafthouse area itself, if you don't feel up to the whole hike in. I doubt if it would be too hot, but this year who knows....

Thanks, Jim. That's kinda what I had been thinking. Where is the closest town to monitor the temps? Bailey?

Thanks again, Leni

Postby Jim Davies » Sun Aug 12, 2012 9:34 pm

You might watch Tarryall. It's about the same elevation as the shafthouse area (~8500').
Some people are afraid of heights. Not me, I'm afraid of white blood cells.

Postby davebks » Mon Aug 13, 2012 10:01 am

Jim Davies wrote:You could hike up Lost Creek toward the shafthouse from the Goose Creek trailhead, which is about 4 miles/1000' one way. There are a few places to camp before the shafthouse area itself, if you don't feel up to the whole hike in. I doubt if it would be too hot, but this year who knows....

definitely. Its nice because there are sites right off the bat, or you can go as far into the 25 mile loop as you want. We did the whole loop in two days last year, that was a doozy. But you can camp early and hike up to the canyon on the top of the loop for a nice day hike.

Postby smrcka » Mon Aug 13, 2012 12:20 pm

Jim Davies wrote:You might watch Tarryall. It's about the same elevation as the shafthouse area (~8500').

Or Deckers. Fairly close by...
It is unwise to be too sure of one's own wisdom. It is healthy to be reminded that the strongest might weaken and the wisest might err. - Mahatma Gandhi

To be aware is to be alive!