Little Bear fixed ropes

Colorado peak questions, condition requests and other info.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
    For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
bike4mee
Trip Reports (0)

Little Bear fixed ropes

Post by bike4mee »

Thanks to whom ever replaced the fixed ropes in Little Bear recently. These two don't look very old. The webbing looks new also. One line is made of 2 ropes tied together going all the way down the hourglass. On the eve of August 6th it hailed 2" on the upper areas of Little Bear. The next days climb the hail had filled the ledges but the faces were dry. The climbing was interesting w/ the hail and the melt water cascading down the hourglass. Up was no problem but the down climb was much safer with the fixed ropes
The road hasn't gotten any easier. I don't recommend anybody beating up their 4x4 on the lower slopes much less have a machine you could get past the jaws sections. I did see an ATV at the lake who said they had no problems. Fantastic peak
tmathews
Trip Reports (0)

Re: Little Bear fixed ropes

Post by tmathews »

I Man
14ers: 58  49 
13ers: 74 7
Trip Reports (30)

Post by I Man »

(borrowed this from another user because it's just that good)
Attachments
Don't feed the troll.jpg
Don't feed the troll.jpg (25.14 KiB) Viewed 1947 times
You can touch the void, just don't fall into it.

I fly a starship across the universe divide....and when I reach the other side...I'll find a place to rest my spirit if I can. Perhaps I may become a Mountain Man again.
bob863
Trip Reports (0)

Post by bob863 »

why, oh, why....would anyone trust ropes that you have not personally put there??? I'm just saying....
forbins_mtn
14ers: 28  2 
13ers: 11
Trip Reports (5)

Post by forbins_mtn »

bob863 wrote:why, oh, why....would anyone trust ropes that you have not personally put there??? I'm just saying....
what scares me is this seems like a hiking community, not a technical climbing community. some people just don't know about the standard rules. it seems obvious, but someone might just look at that rope and start putting their body weight on it
CAF
Trip Reports (1)

Post by CAF »

bob863 wrote:why, oh, why....would anyone trust ropes that you have not personally put there??? I'm just saying....
Attachments
Rainier.jpg
Rainier.jpg (149.08 KiB) Viewed 1581 times
Denali.jpg
Denali.jpg (106.04 KiB) Viewed 1581 times
yellow-band.jpg
yellow-band.jpg (76.79 KiB) Viewed 1581 times
SurfNTurf
14ers: 58  28 
13ers: 127 7
Trip Reports (48)

Post by SurfNTurf »

Yes, but CAF, those ropes are placed and inspected daily by professional guides. The lines in the Hourglass are fixed by "Anonymous."

As usual with these threads, my main concern is the average 14er hiker with no Class 5 or rope experience. They can get up to the Hourglass and say, "Oh nifty, a rope," then haul themselves up hand-over-hand without inspecting it. If you climbed the Hourglass unaided, carefully inspected the rope and anchors, and felt comfortable using the line to assist your downclimb, more power to you. That's an informed decision. The scary part is only a small percentage of Little Bear climbers have the knowledge and experience to even begin that thought process. Just because a rope "looks new" doesn't mean it's not damaged, especially after a hail storm.

Bottom line, if you really want to use a rope in the Hourglass, haul one up yourself.
“There are two kinds of climbers: those who climb because their heart sings when they’re in the mountains, and all the rest.” - Alex Lowe

"There have been joys too great to describe in words, and there have been griefs upon which I cannot dare to dwell; and with those in mind I say, 'Climb if you will, but remember that courage and strength are nought without prudence, and that a momentary negligence may destroy the happiness of a lifetime. Do nothing in haste, look well to each step, and from the beginning think what may be the end.'" - Edward Whymper
d_baker
14ers: 58  15 
13ers: 348 11
Trip Reports (59)

Post by d_baker »

Just because a rope "looks new" doesn't mean it's not damaged, especially after a hail storm.
I don't think a hail storm is going to damage a rope.
SurfNTurf
14ers: 58  28 
13ers: 127 7
Trip Reports (48)

Post by SurfNTurf »

Fair enough. How about, then, "especially one that's constantly exposed to the elements and has been in place for an indefinite amount of time without regular inspection." Satisfied now, Mr. Baker?
“There are two kinds of climbers: those who climb because their heart sings when they’re in the mountains, and all the rest.” - Alex Lowe

"There have been joys too great to describe in words, and there have been griefs upon which I cannot dare to dwell; and with those in mind I say, 'Climb if you will, but remember that courage and strength are nought without prudence, and that a momentary negligence may destroy the happiness of a lifetime. Do nothing in haste, look well to each step, and from the beginning think what may be the end.'" - Edward Whymper
d_baker
Trip Reports (59)

Post by d_baker »

SurfNTurf wrote:Fair enough. How about, then, "especially one that's constantly exposed to the elements and has been in place for an indefinite amount of time without regular inspection." Satisfied now, Mr. Baker?
Yes.
screeman57
14ers: 58  19 
13ers: 79 12
Trip Reports (0)

Post by screeman57 »

Just curious: have any of the serious injuries or deaths in the hourglass resulted from a fixed-rope failing? Not the point, I know, but I am curious if there's a cautionary tale out there...
“To be is to do”—Socrates.
“To do is to be”—Jean-Paul Sartre.
“Do be do be do”—Frank Sinatra.
d_baker
Trip Reports (59)

Post by d_baker »

screeman57 wrote:Just curious: have any of the serious injuries or deaths in the hourglass resulted from a fixed-rope failing? Not the point, I know, but I am curious if there's a cautionary tale out there...
No, I don't think so. I think all fatalities on LB I've read about were falls without a rope.

Ropes don't break article.

I'm not advocating using previously placed ropes in LB, but if you do know what you're looking at, along with the anchor, putting a static load on the hanging ropes might not be that dangerous. If I were the op, and there was that much hail in the hourglass, I might have used them myself.
If the anchor looks "ok" with redundancy and the ropes (2 twisted/tied together?) looked ok on my ascent, then I might feel ok with using it as a hand line.
Hauling up your own rope would be the better practice though.