Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

YouTube to TR - What am I doing wrong?

If you run into any problems using 14ers.com, please post a topic thread here.

YouTube to TR - What am I doing wrong?

Postby MtnHub » Sat Aug 11, 2012 5:48 am

OK, so I've never done this before. I've created a YouTube video on a new account (it works fine on the YouTube site) but when I try to incorporate it into my TR, all I see in the Preview is the simple text of the video ID. It is not highlighted or active in any way. Shouldn't I see the YouTube video screen with the video on it to play or pause etc, or does that only occur when you activate your TR?

Am I doing something wrong? :?

Site Administrator

Re: YouTube to TR - What am I doing wrong?

Postby BillMiddlebrook » Sat Aug 11, 2012 6:01 am

In the TR text, enter only the YouTube video id (the string located after the "v=" in the YouTube URL for your video) then highlight it and click the <YouTubeVideo> button.

It will look something like this when you enter it: [YouTubeVideo]H3978FJDK[/YouTubeVideo]

There's also some help text that pops up when you hover the mouse over that <YouTubeVideo> button on the TR Add/Edit page.
Only SNOW will end the madness

Postby MtnHub » Sat Aug 11, 2012 6:13 am

Bill, that's exactly how it looks when I'm setting it up.

I only typed in the video ID text as the directions state (the part after v= in the URL supplied by YouTube but ending before the next & if any) which looks like this: 03jUlvtVJuM

I copied and pasted this into my TR, highlighted it, and then clicked the YouTubeVideo button on the right side to add the video brackets around it. It then looks like this:

bracketed “youtubevideo” before and after with no spaces, then the video ID, then another bracketed “/youtubevideo” before and after with no spaces.

(I only wrote it out like this now because whenever I copy and paste the exact syntax it doesn’t show up at all in the Preview.)

But when I go to Preview, all I see is the written text of the video ID ( =03jUlvtVJuM ) which is not highlighted or active in any way. Shouldn't I see the YouTube video screen with the video on it to play or pause etc, or does that only occur when you activate your TR?

I guess my real question is, is this what normally happens - you only see the text itself until it becomes "active" or should I be able to view the video in the Preview as well?

(You're up early!)

Site Administrator

Postby BillMiddlebrook » Sat Aug 11, 2012 12:22 pm

Which TR is it? I'll take a look

Postby MtnHub » Sat Aug 11, 2012 12:45 pm

Bill, it's my latest report on Quandary West Ridge. It has not be activated yet since I wasn't able to get the video working.

Let me know if you need it activated first, but otherwise as far as I can tell it's written exactly like the directions state.

Thanks!

Site Administrator

Postby BillMiddlebrook » Sat Aug 11, 2012 1:23 pm

Try taking the "=" off the front of the id in the brackets since that's not part of the actual YouTube video id. The video id is the unique string that comes after the "v="

I hope that helps

Postby MtnHub » Sat Aug 11, 2012 1:35 pm

That worked, Bill! Thanks so much!! :D

Site Administrator

Postby BillMiddlebrook » Sat Aug 11, 2012 1:38 pm

You bet