Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

Middle Brush Creek Trailhead

Trailhead conditions, directions, roads, parking, camping, etc. Trailhead Info/Status

Middle Brush Creek Trailhead

Postby Richard Larsen » Fri Aug 10, 2012 9:33 pm

I am thinking of hiking Castleabra / 13803 via Middle Brush Creek appoach at the end of August. Roach's description makes it sound as if a passenger car can go in 5.7 miles, as far as the start of the Pearl Pass Road. But, conditions, change, usually for the worse. Does anyone know if a passenger car can still get in as far as the Pearl Pass Road intersection? If not, any sense of how close one could sanely get? Or course, if the road has been miraculously upgraded, I'd like to know that as well, but don't expect to hear such. Thanks for any info. Richard Larsen

Re: Middle Brush Creek Trailhead

Postby mennoguy » Sat Aug 11, 2012 10:04 am

I was up there about two weeks ago, there is a major creek crossing about half a mile up the Pearl Pass road which I would not drive a passenger car through. There is a nice open camping area before the crossing. If not for that creek crossing passenger cars could drive about a mile up the road.

First 4 and last 6.9 miles of FR 738

Postby sue personett » Sat Aug 11, 2012 12:28 pm

Dear Rich,
I was up there in mid July with my dog Jack. We got Castleabra, then got rained on during the drive out. You can easily drive a passenger car up the first 4 miles of FR 738 (Brush Creek Road). Crossing West Brush Creek will be difficult in a passenger car. The last 6.9 miles to the parking/camping spot in the meadow at 10,820 ft. are exciting and taught me a few new 4WD tricks! I would not recommend a passenger car on the last 6.9 miles of that road.
Namaste
Sue

Postby gb » Sat Aug 11, 2012 5:45 pm

What the others have said- the end of the line for passenger cars is at (or right before) the first stream crossing. It's in good shape up until the last 1/2 mile before the stream- you'll still get to the stream if you want. The road from there to Cumberland is harder than in years past, IMO, due to some erosion problems. It's a long way to Cumberland Basin from the first stream crossing, I would ride a bike if it were me.

Postby Richard Larsen » Fri Aug 17, 2012 6:14 pm

Thanks to all who replied. Sounds pretty definitive, I will need to stop that last half mile short of the creek. Rental car companies get mad if you trash their cars. Won't have a bike since I will be in Colorado from Vermont. Maybe I'll try to find an ATV rental in Crested Butte - or a mountain bike - or hope for a clear day and try to hoof it the whole way in a day. Rich