Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

Blister prevention

Info on gear, conditioning, and preparation for hiking/climbing. Gear Classifieds

Re: Blister prevention

Postby climbing_rob » Fri Aug 10, 2012 12:18 pm

RoanMtnMan wrote:I'm still waiting to find something that is a better value and works better than duct tape.
Nuthin' out there better for prevention, so you might be waiting a loooooong time. Doesn't come off. Does the job. A penny or two per application. Now if you already have a blister, other stuff works better. For ultras, I prophylacticly tape both heals and my little toes.

Postby sjverhaeghe08 » Fri Aug 10, 2012 12:44 pm

lordhelmut wrote:I get really bad blisters when wearing high top, backpacking boots (think Scarpa Kailash or Asolo Fugitives). But when I wear my lower top shoes (5.10 approach shoes, Ahnu's, New Balances), I never have a problem with blisters. I think the solution is pretty clear, as my heel moves more fluently with the low tops, only downside is I don't have much support. I try to remedy this with ankle braces, and extra cautious about stream and mud crossings.

I can apply all the medical tape, moleskin, etc to the affected area with the high tops, and they rip right through regardless, so the low top solution is the way I go for now. Mid tops is the perfect medium I imagine.

I hear ya...I had high tops before my current shoes, and they tore up both heels really, really badly on Barr Trail when I did Pikes Peak. It was awful. I use the low tops now and I've never had a problem until now.

Thanks for all of your suggestions, everyone!
"Climb if you will, but remember that courage and strength are nought without prudence, and that a momentary negligence may destroy the happiness of a lifetime. Do nothing in haste; look well to each step; and from the beginning think what may be the end."
Edward Whymper

Postby Taillon75 » Fri Aug 10, 2012 1:04 pm

Elmers glue and duct tape.

Postby its_not_a_tuba » Fri Aug 10, 2012 2:21 pm

djkest wrote:Had those. Came off after about 2 miles of hiking. Slides all over the place. OK if you aren't walking at all. Totally not worth the exorbitant cost, imo.

Really? I have to believe you got a bad batch or something. I usually have the exact opposite problem, once I get them on I can't get them off!

Dukietown wrote:I wouldn't use them as blister prevention though.

I carry them with me and forgo the extra weight of a lubricant. If I start to feel a hot spot I stop and put one over it, works like a charm. They are nice also because they double as a regular band aid for minor cuts.
"Wilderness settles peace on the soul because it needs no help. It is beyond human contrivance." -- E.O. Wilson

Postby Cruiser » Fri Aug 10, 2012 2:35 pm

One trick that I have learned is to use hand sanitizer to thoroughly clean the area on my heels before I apply duct tape as a blister preventative. It's particularly helpful when I'm out camping for a few nights since my feet always seem to accumulate a bit more body oil and whatnot with each passing day.

FWIW, I've been using duct tape for as long as I have been hiking to help prevent blisters on my heels. I just recently bought a pack of those band aid blister cushions to try. I'm interested to see if they stay on for a good long day hike like San Luis.
Where ever you are... There you are.

Postby Cool Hand Luke » Fri Aug 10, 2012 2:47 pm

Applying Vaseline to blister-prone areas works well, althought it is a little messy.

I have used Body Glide (anti-chaffing stick) on my feet before hikes and Veseline works just as well and costs significantly less.

Worst case scenerio- put duct tape on blister-prone areas and put a small amount of Vaseline on the duct tape. Friction-free in no time.

Postby mtnkub » Fri Aug 10, 2012 3:42 pm

RoanMtnMan wrote:I'm still waiting to find something that is a better value and works better than duct tape.

Something better than duct tape? Gorilla tape! ... well, it's basically the same thing. Just that it sticks a little better on one side and has a little less friction on the other one.
Also, start taping on the bottom of your heel and then extend over the back to well above your ankles (to prevent it from getting loose while hiking). Flex you ankle while doing this (to allow for the same flex while hiking). Maybe this is all obvious to everyone else, but i just learned it...

Postby chrismjx » Fri Aug 10, 2012 5:33 pm

We learned in Boy Scouts to cut a donut out of the moleskin and place it over the blister... Nobody does this anymore or what? :lol:

Postby Sugar Madison » Fri Aug 10, 2012 6:55 pm

I rarely get blisters, so I never do anything to prevent them (or treat them), but several friends who are blister-prone swear by Hydropel. Can't vouch for it personally, though I trust these guys.

Staying hydrated helps. Running shoes vs boots helps a lot. Good socks help.

Postby carson_h » Fri Aug 10, 2012 7:55 pm

I been experimenting with different blister solutions lately; here's what works for me:

1. Apply second skin or neosporin
2. Clean the undamaged skin with alcohol
3. Apply benzoin skin adhesive to all areas that will get taped.
4. Apply elastikon tape (one piece around the heel, and another under the heel while your foot is flexed).
5. Seal the edges of the elstikon tape with a top coat of benzoin
6. Apply a powder, body glide, or hydropel over the exposed benzion to eliminate the stick and lock out moisture.

This should hold for several days and it breathes. For blister prevention, skip step 1.

I found all these items here:

http://www.zombierunner.com/

Good luck!

-Carson

Postby Vids » Fri Aug 10, 2012 7:57 pm

I've been having terrible luck with moleskin lately, it comes off the instant I start sweating. Moving on to duct tape next. I also got a recommendation elsewhere to try Spenco 2nd Skin Adhesive Knit. Can't vouch for it yet though.

I also like the band aid blister pads, although I use the Dr Scholl's version. I have been getting blisters bad lately from breaking in really stiff boots, but I can put those pads on a fresh blister and go for a run the next day and not even feel it.

Postby Dex » Sat Aug 11, 2012 1:14 pm

carson_h wrote:I been experimenting with different blister solutions lately; here's what works for me:

1. Apply second skin or neosporin
2. Clean the undamaged skin with alcohol
3. Apply benzoin skin adhesive to all areas that will get taped.
4. Apply elastikon tape (one piece around the heel, and another under the heel while your foot is flexed).
5. Seal the edges of the elstikon tape with a top coat of benzoin
6. Apply a powder, body glide, or hydropel over the exposed benzion to eliminate the stick and lock out moisture.

This should hold for several days and it breathes. For blister prevention, skip step 1.

I found all these items here:

http://www.zombierunner.com/

Good luck!

-Carson

Aren't you draining the blister first?

Take a pin and drain the fluid then apply the protection around blister or over it as appropriate.

---

As to prevention:
1 Before a blister forms; you should feel a hot spot. Apply mole skin before at that time. It should prevent the water stage.

2. Look for the source of your blisters
- shoes too loose
- shoes too tight in certain areas
- socks not thick enough
- shoes not laced properly
- cotton socks - enough said.

You don't want to get to the stage where the surface skin tears away.
Montani Semper Liberi
"Please use the comments to demonstrate your own ignorance, unfamiliarity with empirical data and lack of respect for scientific knowledge. Be sure to create straw men and argue against things I have neither said nor implied. If you could repeat previously discredited memes or steer the conversation into irrelevant, off topic discussions, it would be appreciated. Lastly, kindly forgo all civility in your discourse . . . you are, after all, anonymous." Barry Ritholtz

PreviousNext