Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

Question About Linked Weather Forecasts

If you run into any problems using 14ers.com, please post a topic thread here.

Question About Linked Weather Forecasts

Postby MonGoose » Thu Aug 09, 2012 8:25 pm

After a series of arguments with a climbing partner over one's ability to accurately read a weather forecast, I have discovered that this site at times displays two different weather forecasts for the exact same peak and location. Here's what I am referring to.

Scenario 1:
-Click on "Pyramid Peak" on the left side of the 14ers.com main page.
-Click on "Routes", "Pyramid Peak - Northeast Ridge"
-Select Weather Info: "NOAA Link"

A weather report for "9 MILES S SNOWMASS VILLAGE CO" is displayed from the Aspen/Sardy Field (KASE).

At the time of this posting, the weather forecast for Sunday reads:
A 30 percent chance of showers and thunderstorms, mainly after noon. Partly sunny, with a high near 76.
That sounds favorable.

Scenario 2:
-From 14ers.com select the "Weather" --> "Weather by 14er" tab
-From the menu on the left select "Pyramid Peak"

A weather report for "9 MILES S SNOWMASS VILLAGE CO" is displayed. NOTE: The exact LAT and LONG as Scenario 1 for the Aspen/Sardy Field (KASE) is displayed.

At the time of this posting, the weather forecast for Sunday reads:
A 50 percent chance of showers and thunderstorms. Mostly cloudy, with a high near 64. Breezy.
A less favorable forecast.

So, is NOAA predicting a high of 64 or 76 for Sunday? Is there a 30% chance of rain or a 50% chance of rain? Breezy or no wind?

Re: Question About Linked Weather Forecasts

Postby Magnum420 » Thu Aug 09, 2012 9:22 pm

It looks like a small difference in the forecast area. Scroll down to the small map on the right side. The green square is the forecast area. For Scenario 1 the forecast point/elevation is Lat/Lon: 39.07°N 106.93°W Elevation: 9597 ft and for your Scenario 2 it is Lat/Lon: 39.07°N 106.96°W Elevation: 13107 ft.
"I was high on life till I realized it was cut with idiots!" ---Anon---

Postby tmathews » Thu Aug 09, 2012 9:36 pm

Edit: Never mind. I see what you're saying. I'd say use the forecasts from the "Weather by 14er" link. The difference you're seeing is because the point forecast when you click on the NOAA link from the route page is at an elevation of 9,597 ft whereas the point forecast you see by clicking on the "Weather by 14er" link is at 13,107 ft.

Site Administrator

Postby BillMiddlebrook » Fri Aug 10, 2012 7:34 am

Some route descriptions were using slightly different lat/lon coordinates so the NOAA program was returning a different forecast area at times. I just changed the route pages to use the summit coordinates and should now be the same as the main weather page.
"There's no recess and no rules in the school of life" - D. Mustaine

Postby MonGoose » Fri Aug 10, 2012 9:02 am

BillMiddlebrook wrote:I just changed the route pages to use the summit coordinates and should now be the same as the main weather page.

Thanks Bill, that solved the problem! Now can you just make the weather forecast more favorable? :D