Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

Quandary on Quandary

Items that do not fit the categories above.

Quandary on Quandary

Postby davebks » Thu Aug 09, 2012 2:51 pm

I think we are missing some details here... What route were they on? If they did something technical why did they have the dogs with them? and so on...
I will be up there tomorrow. Maybe there will be a buzz...
http://www.denverpost.com/breakingnews/ci_21274931/summit-rescue-group-saves-dogs-woman-stuck-quandary

Glad they all made it down safely though.

And.. how did they get dog names but not people names?? ](*,)

Re: Quandary on Quandary

Postby SeracZack » Thu Aug 09, 2012 2:56 pm

Security is mostly a superstition. It does not exist in nature, nor do the children of men as a whole experience it. Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure, or nothing.
-Helen Keller

Postby davebks » Thu Aug 09, 2012 3:00 pm

huh is right.....?

Postby plantmandan » Thu Aug 09, 2012 3:12 pm

Love that photo

Postby joelsteidl » Thu Aug 09, 2012 3:25 pm

Glad everyone is down safely!

Hopefully I won't start something, but I'll link people to this next time they ask if bringing their dogs is a good idea.

Postby GregMiller » Thu Aug 09, 2012 3:27 pm

Presumably the West Ridge, I can see how you could get cliffed out on it, if descending. Especially if dogs lead you off route, or if you're going out to get one back from going off route, that sort of thing.

(edited for spelling and 'if descending')
Still Here
been scared and battered. My hopes the wind done scattered. Snow has friz me, Sun has baked me,
Looks like between 'em they done Tried to make me
Stop laughin', stop lovin', stop livin'-- But I don't care! I'm still here!
Langston Hughes

Postby randalmartin » Thu Aug 09, 2012 4:48 pm

I'll never understand people's need to bring dogs on serious routes (assuming it was the West Ridge). Flame away.

Postby Hungry Jack » Thu Aug 09, 2012 5:42 pm

Sheesh. That photo sure looks like the area below that gnarly southwest face of Quandary. It sure isn't the standard route.

Assuming it was the west ridge (how else would you get cliffed out)?, I see two pivotal decision points:
1) the decision to do the west ridge with a dog
2) the decision not to descend the west ridge via the established trail once the group was forced to turn back.

Regarding 1), I cannot imagine hauling a dog up the 15ft chimney that represents the final crux. That just does not seem possible. I think the first crux--the chimney leading to the white rock, is doable with a dog, but descending it might be a bit tricky. My guess is that the second crux was the deal-breaker.

Regarding 2), my first trip with Smokey on the west ridge taught us a valuable lesson: DON'T VENTURE ONTO QUANDARY'S SOUTHWEST FACE. We separated at the first crux (white rock) as I went left around the chimney, while Smokey wasn't comfortable, and tried descending to the right with another group of 3 guys that had joined in. I went over the white rock and down into the saddle below crux 2, and saw him and the guys about 50ft below--with an icy gully separating us. They decided to turn back, and I assumed they would descend the west ridge whence they came.

They did not. They ventured out into the cliffy, gully-strewn hell of the southwest face. By the time I ascended the chimney, summited, descended via Cristo, and cut over to the Quandary / Fletcher saddle basin, I expected to see them dropping into the basin. They weren't there because they were still up about 1,000 ft trying to extricate themselves from the cliffs. I was pretty worried, and they were pretty spooked by it all.

So yeah, any decision to wander off that west ridge trail to any extent is a pretty bad one, especially if you are trying to descend.
Last edited by Hungry Jack on Thu Aug 09, 2012 6:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I need more dehydrogenase.

Postby Jim Davies » Thu Aug 09, 2012 6:21 pm

The story calls them "experienced hikers". I guess they're even more experienced now. :)
Some people are afraid of heights. Not me, I'm afraid of widths. -- Steven Wright

Postby Hungry Jack » Thu Aug 09, 2012 6:43 pm

Jim Davies wrote:The story calls them "experienced hikers". I guess they're even more experienced now. :)

Very experienced:
"To add to their predicament, a backpack holding gear, food and water, fell over the edge of the cliff."
I need more dehydrogenase.

Postby atalarico » Thu Aug 09, 2012 10:55 pm

Well, I'm glad they survived.

However, this is the part that pisses me off the most..."They safely repelled a 200-foot cliff with Loki and Lilly looking over their shoulders."

This sentence made me giddy as I imagined the SAR team scaring off a 200 foot tall Tolkien-esque cliff monster back to the bowels of Mordor. Armed with nothing more than their wizardy and ice axes, SAR drove the beast back while the frightened dogs looked on in amazement. Needless to say I was a little disappointed to realize that they meant RAPPEL. =p

Postby screeman57 » Thu Aug 09, 2012 11:19 pm

Think I'll "repel" some dogs next time I'm out...
"Never measure the height of a mountain until you have reached the top. Then you will see how low it was." -Dag Hammarskjold

Next