Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

13ers.com

Colorado 13er questions, conditions, and other info should be posted here. Also includes topics related to 13ers.com. 13er Trip Reports

Re: 13ers.com

Postby nkan02 » Thu Aug 09, 2012 1:09 pm

lordhelmut wrote:
There are boring 14ers, but based on numbers alone, there are a ton of boring 13ers (depending on perspective).

Thank you for saying that. My guess is about 90% of them?

90%? Thats saying 526 13ers are boring. Are you implying that there are only 58 cool 13ers cause there are 58 14ers and to even the playing field? You could find over 58 13ers in the San Juans alone that are more interesting than any of the 14ers. But then again, as this forum has proven time and time again, people have convinced themselves Culebra is the coolest 14er they've done, so the 14ers vs. 13ers argument is pointless, as people's perspectives are what they are, no matter how puzzling.

So what would be your number for boring 13ers?

Mine was a random number, a guess. Likely an exaggeration. I just calculated that I found 33 out of 58 14ers exciting at least by one route, making 43% of 14ers relatively boring (so to speak). Of course, doing "boring" ones in winter or skiing them down would bring the boredom # close to 0%. However, so far, my proportion of exciting 13ers to less exciting has been lagging - but maybe I just haven't been hitting the right ones and here is where 13ers TRs and route descriptions would be helpful, as well as plenty of time for research [-o< .

I admit to being a boring person, and I was bored on 13ers as well as 14ers (Culebra and Red were one of them - I cannot convey how much I regret not doing them this past winter when there was a group going but I had a stupid conflict and could not go :( :cry: ). And I found some of the best 13ers that I've done so far (notably Ice Mtn and Meeker via Dreamweaver) equally as exciting or better and harder than some of the best 14ers. So there is a mix. I do look forward to exploring 13ers and learning more about them.
Last edited by nkan02 on Thu Aug 09, 2012 1:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Postby Jim Davies » Thu Aug 09, 2012 1:17 pm

The real cool people have moved on to the 11ers already.
Some people are afraid of heights. Not me, I'm afraid of white blood cells.

Postby bergsteigen » Thu Aug 09, 2012 1:39 pm

davebks wrote:uh... so what you are saying is that some 13ers have trip reports and others don't, some have trails, and some don't? Some of you love them and some of you don't? Is that the gist of what I am gathering from the over 110 responses to my original question? 8-[

Yep, you opened a can of worms! The grand majority of 13ers have a couple TR's, very very few without at least 1. Many have good descriptions and maps. Most of the Front Range and Mosquito are class 2, have trails and are good for dogs. Citadel, Hagar, and Pettingell are good scrambles. Many in the 10 Mile are great for snow climbing and are quite pretty. It would seem many of the Sangre 13ers near the Crestones tend to be more scrambly than ones farther away from them. Haven't explored too much in the Elks, but there are some snow climbs in there I want to do, others appear to be rather tough scrambles. San Juans are a mix of whatever you liked about the 14ers there (there are 250 of them!).

But as there are so many of them, and most of us have only done a small percentage of them, it's kinda hard to give recommendations without you narrowing down exactly what you want, in the area you want to do it in!
"Auto racing, bull fighting, and mountain climbing are the only real sports ... all others are games."
- Ernest Hemingway (or was it Barnaby Conrad?)

http://otinasadventures.com

Postby SilverLynx » Thu Aug 09, 2012 1:49 pm

Jim Davies wrote:The real cool people have moved on to the 11ers already.
Attachments
TrueStory.png
TrueStory.png (31.05 KiB) Viewed 489 times
"Find out who you are and be that person. That's what your soul was put on this Earth to be. Find that truth, live that truth and everything else will come."
~Ellen DeGeneres

"The only journey is the one within."
~Rainer Maria Rilke

Postby davebks » Thu Aug 09, 2012 1:58 pm

Climbed a 13'er... not impressed

Postby ChrisRoberts » Thu Aug 09, 2012 4:14 pm

Nice one Dave, McKayla isnt impressed with mountains made of anything but gold.

Also I dont personally know anyone really, really into 13ers but the hipster aura is kinda thick. Not naming names, just in general.
Some rise, some fall, some climb to get to terrapin
Read all about my schemes and adventuring at NoCo Chris Latest TR: Laramie-Poudre Tunnel and UN 10060

Postby ChrisRoberts » Thu Aug 09, 2012 4:17 pm

I just like to climb mountains, thats all.
Some rise, some fall, some climb to get to terrapin
Read all about my schemes and adventuring at NoCo Chris Latest TR: Laramie-Poudre Tunnel and UN 10060

Postby Jesse M » Thu Aug 09, 2012 4:28 pm

Postby vonmackle » Thu Aug 09, 2012 6:32 pm

I've heard the Gores are overrun by hipsters...
13erHipsters.jpg
13erHipsters.jpg (198.33 KiB) Viewed 333 times
"To play a wrong note is insignificant; to play without passion is inexcusable." -Ludwig van Beethoven

Postby tmathews » Thu Aug 09, 2012 6:36 pm

vonmackle wrote:I've heard the Gores are overrun by hipsters...
13erHipsters.jpg

:lol: =D>

Postby Derek » Thu Aug 09, 2012 7:27 pm

13erHipsters.jpg

THAT is freaking hilarious.

I just saw this thread. Crazy stuff!

For the record:
I love bushwhacking, I love secluded peaks, I dont care much for 14ers (anymore), and a tree covered summit is A-ok for me! My reasoning isnt because I'm too "hipster" for "mainstream" trails and mountains (despite what Kansas may say :wink: ) but because my love of the mountains boils down to love of maps, routefinding and navigation. Not a lot of true navigation is needed in well traveled areas, so I naturally gravitate to smaller, secluded areas.

My favorite thing is to pick an area (for me specifically, I like wilderness areas) and go through the area climbing every peak possible. Including those that you dont have high hopes for...you may be surprised at what you find. (UN10620 in the LCW comes to mind in this scenario.)

For what its worth, 12ers (to me) seem to be where the fun stuff is at.

Now wheres my Pabst...

--D
"I used to think my Dad was Elvis. But I haven't told him that yet. I haven't told my Dad either." -S. Murdoch
LOJ

Postby kansas » Thu Aug 09, 2012 7:39 pm

Derek wrote:
13erHipsters.jpg

THAT is freaking hilarious.

I just saw this thread. Crazy stuff!

For the record:
I love bushwhacking, I love secluded peaks, I dont care much for 14ers (anymore), and a tree covered summit is A-ok for me! My reasoning isnt because I'm too "hipster" for "mainstream" trails and mountains (despite what Kansas may say :wink: ) but because my love of the mountains boils down to love of maps, routefinding and navigation. Not a lot of true navigation is needed in well traveled areas, so I naturally gravitate to smaller, secluded areas.

My favorite thing is to pick an area (for me specifically, I like wilderness areas) and go through the area climbing every peak possible. Including those that you dont have high hopes for...you may be surprised at what you find. (UN10620 in the LCW comes to mind in this scenario.)

For what its worth, 12ers (to me) seem to be where the fun stuff is at.

Now wheres my Pabst...

--D

s**t.

The first thing that crossed my mind after seeing that picture was "I hope Derek doesn't see this. I'll never live it down."

For the record, I wouldn't be caught dead in that scarf, way too mainstream.
Last edited by kansas on Thu Aug 09, 2012 8:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"In the end, of course, it changed almost nothing. But I came to appreciate that mountains make poor receptacles for dreams."
— Jon Krakauer

PreviousNext