Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

Shirtless climbers?

Info on gear, conditioning, and preparation for hiking/climbing. Gear Classifieds

Shirtless climbers?

Postby guammy bear » Tue Aug 07, 2012 10:46 pm

As a female climber in a man's world, I've recently noticed an overwhelming number of shirtless climbers. I have been confused by my reaction to this. On one hand, I appreciate a tan, muscular body, but on the other, I question the risks of going shirtless. At such high altitudes, do you not question your risk of getting dangerous UV exposure? Moreover, if you fell, would the risks of serious lacerations be worth it? Finally, what about the risk to me if I slip because I am so distracted by your hyper-fit 14er bod? Why do you guys even do this? Although it's enjoyable, please put your shirts back on guys!

Re: Shirtless climbers?

Postby guammy bear » Tue Aug 07, 2012 10:51 pm

Example:

Postby blazebo » Tue Aug 07, 2012 11:02 pm

guammy bear wrote:Example:

i didnt realize we were talking about flaming shirtless climbers. i'm all for more women shirtless climbers. my wife loves no tan lines!
plus this is obviously staged. nobody needs 3 ropes and carabiners hanging so pretty with boots not rock shoes. i call BS!
Last edited by blazebo on Tue Aug 07, 2012 11:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Come on, you sons of bitches-do you want to live forever?"
-Gunnery Sergeant Dan Daly, USMC, 1918.

Postby Kiefer » Tue Aug 07, 2012 11:09 pm

I don't think I'd EVER find one of my friends complaining about female climbers/hikers going shirtless. In fact,
I endorse it!
It very well may end up providing more funds to SAR for the increase in calls! :wink:

Postby Tony1 » Tue Aug 07, 2012 11:34 pm

guammy bear wrote:As a female climber in a man's world, I've recently noticed an overwhelming number of shirtless climbers. I have been confused by my reaction to this. On one hand, I appreciate a tan, muscular body, but on the other, I question the risks of going shirtless. At such high altitudes, do you not question your risk of getting dangerous UV exposure? Moreover, if you fell, would the risks of serious lacerations be worth it? Finally, what about the risk to me if I slip because I am so distracted by your hyper-fit 14er bod? Why do you guys even do this? Although it's enjoyable, please put your shirts back on guys!

Where are you finding these shirtless guys? I need to know... you know, because reasons.

Postby Jerousek » Tue Aug 07, 2012 11:44 pm

LOL!

Call me crazy, but Guammy Bear... I have a sneaking suspicion you're djkest... Dan, is that you buddy?!
“It is an honor and a privilege to be alive, however briefly, on this marvelous planet we call Earth.”
Ed Abbey

Postby djkest » Wed Aug 08, 2012 7:06 am

Oh man, when I saw this topic I knew I had to come in here. We saw 2 shirtless dudes at the 4WD south Colony Lakes trailhead. They were going to climb Ellingwood ledges, so apparently they were climbers. One of them was really ripped, but I didn't take any pictures.

If I looked like that, I would probably hike around without a shirt. Although your pack straps might chafe a little!
Life is a mountain, not a beach.
Exploring and Wine, my personal blog

Postby djkest » Wed Aug 08, 2012 7:19 am

OneArmSteve wrote:Dangerous....a mosquito bite to the nipp. may end me.
...the only thing more silly is to go sans shirt, plus beanie. Wtf?!?

Clearly, you haven't spent much time in Boulder?

Postby scalba123 » Wed Aug 08, 2012 7:51 am

I have to wear a shirt while hiking. Court order...

Postby ketel1 » Wed Aug 08, 2012 7:58 am

Am I the only one noticing he is also in tighty whiteys? I find that more problematic...I think? :wink: I, too, love "SUN"S OUT, GUNS OUT'...that made me grin!
"So many of our dreams at first seem impossible, then they seem improbable, and then, when we summon the will, they soon become inevitable." ~Christopher Reeve

Postby djkest » Wed Aug 08, 2012 8:11 am

ketel1 wrote:Am I the only one noticing he is also in tighty whiteys? I find that more problematic...I think? :wink: I, too, love "SUN"S OUT, GUNS OUT'...that made me grin!

I think they are either "euro shorts" or some cut-off white jean shorts. But they could be tighty whiteys.

Postby thefirststraw » Wed Aug 08, 2012 9:21 am

WHOAH that was me!!! I was hiking just as you say, no shirt. I was also wearing jeans, Nike basketball shoes, and clutching what was left of a 20 oz dasani water bottle like my life depended on it. "How much further?" I gasped even though I was a mile from the th and it was already 10am.

-Signed
Every noob out there

Next