Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

Congrats to Doug Hatfield-Centennial Finisher!

Colorado 13er questions, conditions, and other info should be posted here. Also includes topics related to 13ers.com. 13er Trip Reports

Re: Congrats to Doug Hatfield-Centennial Finisher!

Postby Rainier_Wolfcastle » Mon Aug 06, 2012 10:25 am

Congratulations Doug =D> =D> !

We were suprised to meet anyone 100 feet from the summit of Teakettle, much less someone about to finish the Centennials!!!

Nice job!

Shawn
Shawn D
Broomfield, CO

Postby 14erFred » Mon Aug 06, 2012 10:26 am

Congrats on this tremendous achievement, Doug! Well done! =D>
"Live as on a mountain." -- Marcus Aurelius

Postby I Man » Mon Aug 06, 2012 10:27 am

Congrats on this amazing achievement. The Colorado 100 - a worthy endeavor, for sure.
You can touch the void, just don't fall into it.

"I fly a starship across the universe divide....and when I reach the other side...I'll find a place to rest my spirit if I can. Perhaps I may become a Mountain Man again.

Postby dmccool » Mon Aug 06, 2012 11:02 am

Wonderful achievement, many congrats! =D>
Save a place for me up in the high country.
There's still space to breathe.

- Gregory Alan Isakov

Postby tmathews » Mon Aug 06, 2012 11:32 am

Huge congrats, Doug!!! =D>

Postby CarpeDM » Mon Aug 06, 2012 11:34 am

Congrats, Doug! It was great to meet you up there.
"Skepticism is the first step towards truth." - Denis Diderot
"It is not what the man of science believes that distinguishes him, but how and why he believes it. His beliefs are tentative, not dogmatic; they are based on evidence, not on authority or intuition." - Bertrand Russell
"Tell people there's an invisible man in the sky who created the universe, and the vast majority will believe you. Tell them the paint is wet, and they have to touch it to be sure." - George Carlin

Postby mountainjam » Mon Aug 06, 2012 11:37 am

Congrats on a great accomplishment! =D>
The future is no place to place your better days. - Dave Matthews

Postby SarahSimon » Mon Aug 06, 2012 12:45 pm

Kevin Baker wrote:To see Doug talking after all that alcohol would be priceless!

Well, Kevin, since you could not be there to witness the spectacle, I figured I'd share with you a few pics I took with my iPhone. And, yes, during the celebration he was talking so much giberish nonsense that I almost split my gut laughing. Enjoy!

Not to be undone by the previous day's achievement and revelry, however, MacDaddy Hatfield was back at it at sunrise for a hair-raising ascent of the dry north coulior of Gilpin (chills...)
"Ability may get you to the top, but it takes character to keep you there." ~ John Wooden

Postby DHatfield » Mon Aug 06, 2012 1:12 pm

Thanks everyone!!

Kevin - Yes I've been stuck on that lone peak for about a year now mostly trying to figure out how in the world I was going to get up that thing!! So over the past year I've been rock climbing a lot more, several times a week, and getting more comfortable on the sharp end so figured I was ready to lead as it much easier finding a partner to belay. My favorite peak is Teakettle as it marked my first true trad lead as well as it's a beautiful mountain. I also liked Dallas Peak, which I did with you several years ago. Epic, there's a few that come to mind the first one being Little Bear Peak with verglass in the Hourglass, that was when I was little crazier and not thinking clearly and closely followed by Jagged Mountain that just as we reached the notch we starting hearing thunder and decided to continue pushing for the summit since it was so close only to get pounded by hail for 45 minutes just as we got off the summit and back to the notch. Probably wouldn't of been so bad if my well worn boots had an ounce of traction still in them.

Susan - LOL, no wonder I'm starting to slow down. Only two more big trips for this year. Yes I remember climbing Turrett Dome, fun little dome! Please do, I'm really wanting to do some more trad leading now!!

Climbing_Rob - LOL, that's funny!!

Sarah Simon - LOL, that's pretty funny!! I still can't believe I drank that much beer! I'm usually pretty light drinker, but hey you only live once! You did a great job belaying so I owe you a shot. LOL, those pictures are hilarious!! I was so out of it that I hardly remember that! Good times for sure!!

Brian C - I wasn't planning on drinking 100 ounces until the ladies thought it would be cool to drink 1 oz for each of the Centennial peak and thinking that would be kind of cool way to finish. Just not sure I would thinking about doing that if and when I finish the Bi-Centennials.

Kevin - I'm sure is was a priceless night for sure!

Chicago Transplant - I agree that was such an awesome summit to finish one!!

Matt - I would tell you, but I drink so much of several kinds that I can't remember.

Rainer_Wolfcastle - It was great to meet you up there too! I was kind of shocked to see anyone up there. It just seemed there were a lot of people headed to Sneffels.

CarpeDM - It was great meeting you as well.

Postby d_baker » Tue Aug 07, 2012 9:07 am

Thatta' boy, Doug! Glad to hear you led it too! Congrats man. Now put that bottle down.

Postby USAKeller » Tue Aug 07, 2012 9:45 am

Yeah Doug, nice job!! Well done.
All we are called to do is do the next right thing.

Postby globreal » Tue Aug 07, 2012 12:45 pm

Way to go Doug!!! Congrats on finishing those Cents! I've love your pixs in the Jeep! Woohooo! And now that's a real finisher....1 ounce of beer for every Centennial Peak. Hahaha!

And thanks for your Jagged TR. That came in most handy a few weeks ago as I had your pictures in my mind of that south face ledge and the final gully. Thanks!

Now...about that term MacDaddy? What's that about?
Jesus said to her, "I am the resurrection and the life. The one who believes in me will live, even though they die; and whoever lives by believing in me will never die."
~John 11:25

PreviousNext