Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

13ers.com

Colorado 13er questions, conditions, and other info should be posted here. Also includes topics related to 13ers.com. 13er Trip Reports

13ers.com

Postby davebks » Tue Aug 07, 2012 11:50 am

Anyone know why 13ers.com doesn't seem to be keeping pace with 14ers.com?
It seems to me that there are SO many 13ers but I wouldn't know where to begin on a lot of them. I'd love to see that site develop into something like this one.
Maybe I am missing something though.
I know there are a LOT of 13ers but little by little we could hammer out routes and stuff. I'd be willing to help.

Just a thought. :wft:

Re: 13ers.com

Postby I Man » Tue Aug 07, 2012 11:53 am

davebks wrote:Anyone know why 13ers.com doesn't seem to be keeping pace with 14ers.com?
It seems to me that there are SO many 13ers but I wouldn't know where to begin on a lot of them. I'd love to see that site develop into something like this one.
Maybe I am missing something though.
I know there are a LOT of 13ers but little by little we could hammer out routes and stuff. I'd be willing to help.

Just a thought. :wft:

The simple answer is there are a LOT of 13ers :D (they are also not nearly as popular)

Very few of them have official route descriptions and typically the TR's are where the info comes from.

If you are interested in doing a 13er that doesn't have a TR up then please feel free to write one, we all appreciate it.

There are a few forum members that can be extremely helpful on the 13ers. Typically, if you don't have friends who have done a lot of them, you would search this forum for members that have the peak you are interested in and then send them a PM.

You can also try other sites like LOJ, Summitpost, etc...
You can touch the void, just don't fall into it.

"I fly a starship across the universe divide....and when I reach the other side...I'll find a place to rest my spirit if I can. Perhaps I may become a Mountain Man again.

Postby Mark A Steiner » Tue Aug 07, 2012 11:59 am

Bill's recents panoramas for some of the 13ers such as Sheridan and numerous photographs from he and other posters here still make it a good one-stop connection with 14ers.com. I usually start here, the go to other sites I Man suggested. There is tons of info, even from state and federal sources if you take your time.
Not that I speak in respect of want: for I have learned, in whatever state I am, therewith to be content - Paul the Apostle.
Good day.

Postby djkest » Tue Aug 07, 2012 12:00 pm

I wrote a trip report for some 13ers in Rocky Mountain National Park. They got roughly 1/3 the "hits" that a trip report for 14ers gets. There isn't the same level of interest or enthusiam for the 13ers. Partly because the 14ers are higher, and there is fewer of them, so it's easier to climb them all?

But yeah, doing a trip report that includes 13ers in it is a public service.
Life is a mountain, not a beach.
Exploring and Wine, my personal blog

Postby davebks » Tue Aug 07, 2012 12:02 pm

Thanks. That's kind of what I expected. I guess the hard part for me is knowing which to pick and where to start. I have climbed a few in the Vail area and S Arapahoe peak and so on, but it would be nice to get out and do some others. It's just knowing whether there is a trail, a ridge, technical climbing, etc, that would help knowing about before going.

Postby jsdratm » Tue Aug 07, 2012 12:08 pm

I'm also a huge fan of doing 13ers and would like to see more routes on 13ers.com. I did Argentine Peak on saturday and saw only two other people. Just a few miles away, Bierstadt probably had 100 or more people. The 13ers get much less traffic than the 14ers, which makes the experience much more enjoyable for me.

Postby tmathews » Tue Aug 07, 2012 12:08 pm

I think we should organize a "13ers.com Weekend" sometime with the goal of having at least 100 actual route descriptions (as opposed to TRs) written for 13ers.com. There are enough forum members that we could make this happen! :mrgreen:

Postby d_baker » Tue Aug 07, 2012 12:10 pm

Aside from searching this site (which links to 13ers.com) for info on 13ers, you could also look into guidebooks such as, Garratt & Martins' Colorado's High Thirteeners; The Colorado Mountain Club w/Robert Ormes' Guide to the Colorado Mountains; Robert Rosebrough's Climbing Colorado's San Juan Mountains -- just to name a few that could come in handy.

A topo is your friend too.

On 13ers.com, you can submit route descriptions. Or, write a report with useful info.

Personally, I think there's plenty of info that can be found in reports posted here and the aforementioned guidebooks to help one while trip planning for 13ers.
Check out reports by Furthermore, and I'm sure you'll find useful info in them. We used his report on Pk 15 over the weekend, and it was one of 2 reports that were very useful to us.

Postby bergsteigen » Tue Aug 07, 2012 12:13 pm

I enjoy doing the 13ers because there are NO route descriptions or blue lines on a map/photo. If you know what to look for, many TR's are all that you will ever need to hike the majority of the 13ers!
"Auto racing, bull fighting, and mountain climbing are the only real sports ... all others are games."
- Ernest Hemingway (or was it Barnaby Conrad?)

http://otinasadventures.com

Postby FireOnTheMountain » Tue Aug 07, 2012 12:23 pm

13ers are a waste of time
Everyday is a G r A t E f U L Day here in the CO

Postby d_baker » Tue Aug 07, 2012 12:25 pm

FireOnTheMountain wrote:13ers are a waste of time

yup -- pretty much.
they're getting overcrowded. ;)

Postby bergsteigen » Tue Aug 07, 2012 12:27 pm

d_baker wrote:
FireOnTheMountain wrote:13ers are a waste of time

yup -- pretty much.
they're getting overcrowded. ;)

I saw 3 other people in the Degobah Range on Sat, quite unacceptable!
"Auto racing, bull fighting, and mountain climbing are the only real sports ... all others are games."
- Ernest Hemingway (or was it Barnaby Conrad?)

http://otinasadventures.com

Next