Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

Good Moisture Wicking Base Layer????

Info on gear, conditioning, and preparation for hiking/climbing. Gear Classifieds

Good Moisture Wicking Base Layer????

Postby broncotw » Mon Aug 06, 2012 4:56 pm

I am looking for a good moisture wicking base layer!

Specifically, a top that I can wear under everything to pull all the moisture and sweat away from my body.....

I would love to hear some suggestions of manufacturers who produce some high quality stuff.....

Thanks,

Ted
Ted from TEXAS!

Re: Good Moisture Wicking Base Layer????

Postby Dex » Mon Aug 06, 2012 5:05 pm

For what type of weather conditions?

I often use REI long sleeve, lite weight, with zipper, base layer in white.

It really helps in sun protection and body temperature regulation in many temp ranges. Long sleeves, zipper, and white color also makes it versatile.
Montani Semper Liberi
"Please use the comments to demonstrate your own ignorance, unfamiliarity with empirical data and lack of respect for scientific knowledge. Be sure to create straw men and argue against things I have neither said nor implied. If you could repeat previously discredited memes or steer the conversation into irrelevant, off topic discussions, it would be appreciated. Lastly, kindly forgo all civility in your discourse . . . you are, after all, anonymous." Barry Ritholtz

Postby SilverLynx » Mon Aug 06, 2012 5:10 pm

Smartwool is my go-to base layer. For summer, the microweight shirts are ideal. For winter, midweight is good. In general, the more layers you have, the better.

http://www.rei.com/search?query=smartwool
"Find out who you are and be that person. That's what your soul was put on this Earth to be. Find that truth, live that truth and everything else will come."
~Ellen DeGeneres

"The only journey is the one within."
~Rainer Maria Rilke

Postby mtnkub » Mon Aug 06, 2012 5:22 pm

Patagonia's Capilene 2 Lightweight Zip-Neck. I mostly use it as only layer on summer days, though. It has an amazing comfort-temperature-range. Not cheap, but it has been my favorite piece of clothing for a long time now.

Postby winmag4582001 » Mon Aug 06, 2012 5:44 pm

For winter hiking- H/H Warm is my personal favorite, but note that it is sized on the small side.
Summer hiking- DryLogic by Alpine Design (Sports Authority brand) I've bought it for less than $10 a shirt on the sale rack at TSA.
"Remember, you're unique, just like everybody else."-Joel Bernardini

Postby rking007 » Mon Aug 06, 2012 8:51 pm

I'll second Helly Hanson stuff. They have a shop somewhere up near Flatirons I think. They used to be in the mall but it seemed like every time i went in there they had a 70% bucket with tops and bottoms. I use Patagonia Cap 2s for base and Patagonia R1s for winter. I try to only buy stuff when it's on clearance though so I've never been able to be a brand whore... :D
- Stand at the crossroads and look; ask for the ancient paths, ask where the good way is, and walk in it, and you will find rest for your souls.

Postby kansas » Mon Aug 06, 2012 9:15 pm

Merino wool, head to toe, year round. Stuff is amazing.

Steep and Cheap has the Stoic brand up pretty often for 50% off.
"In the end, of course, it changed almost nothing. But I came to appreciate that mountains make poor receptacles for dreams."
— Jon Krakauer

Postby Cruiser » Tue Aug 07, 2012 7:07 am

kansas wrote:Merino wool, head to toe, year round. Stuff is amazing.

This.
Where ever you are... There you are.

Postby climbing_rob » Tue Aug 07, 2012 9:55 am

mtnkub wrote:Patagonia's Capilene 2 Lightweight Zip-Neck. I mostly use it as only layer on summer days, though. It has an amazing comfort-temperature-range. Not cheap, but it has been my favorite piece of clothing for a long time now.
Yep, +1 on this stupid-expensive Capilene stuff. It really seems to work at keeping the stink down on multi-day trips. I own two of these that I "reserve" for longer trips, use the cheaper stuff (REI brand) for 1-2 day hikes.