Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

Perfect Balance?

FAQ and threads for those just starting to hike the Colorado 14ers.

Perfect Balance?

Postby BrennMan » Mon Aug 06, 2012 8:49 pm

Hello All,

I would first like to say that I have read the FAQ and the "read me before posting". I feel like my situation is a little different than answers that I could readily find.

I am going to be in CO this weekend and will have Friday and Saturday open for hikes. It will be my father and I hiking. A little background, we are both quite active (substantial weekly running). I am trying to avoid some of the crowds and would prefer to be challenged slightly as opposed to walking a trail that happens to be on an incline. We are coming from sea level but neither have had problems with altitude besides mild headache here and there in the past. I was originally looking heavily at Quandary as it seems quite beginner friendly. My problems is, I don't want to risk dedicate half of my allotted time on a peak that isn't going to be fulfilling and by the looks of google earth will have a packed parking lot (which I understand will most likely happen on lots of TH's).

Summary: Where is the perfect middle ground for a newbie in good physical shape that would like a little more flair than just a walk in the woods (err above tree line). Is scrambling out of the picture for a slightly ambitious first timer? Recommendations?

Thank you for your time. This site has been massively helpful.

Re: Perfect Balance?

Postby wildlobo71 » Mon Aug 06, 2012 8:56 pm

I'll say this every day of the week... Huron Peak. Far enough away from Denver to avoid the Front Range gaggle. Not too far to feel like you're heading to Utah. Best views in the Sawatch; Class 2 - just the right mix of trail, traverse, steep, boulder-hopping summit and impeccable views.
Bill W.
Yes, I have my Scotch.

Postby BrennMan » Mon Aug 06, 2012 8:58 pm

OneArmSteve wrote:Does it have to be a 14er....and in coming to Colorado, where do you mean you will be visiting? or are you open to travel all over the state?

Great point! I guess it doesn't really need to be a 14er per say. We are open to traveling. We will be flying into Denver but will be spending time in CO Springs, Boulder, possibly RMNP. We don't mind traveling within reason i.e. 2-4hrs.

Wildlobo71 Thanks for the suggestion. If it is as great as that sounded I'm sold!

Thanks Gents!

Postby SurfNTurf » Mon Aug 06, 2012 9:09 pm

I'd agree with Bill's suggestion of Huron, though it is still on the easy side. I don't recall much off-trail hiking at all.

Wetterhorn was the first mountain that popped into my mind after reading your post, but it'd be a bit longer of a drive from Denver.

Keep in mind that some of the beginner 14ers have alternate routes. You could do Torreys and Grays via Kelso Ridge, for instance, which is a great intro to Class 3.

It'll be crowded as all hell, but Longs Peak would also fit your stated needs just about perfectly.
Many Miles to Go (Blog)

“There are two kinds of climbers: those who climb because their heart sings when they’re in the mountains, and all the rest.” - Alex Lowe

"There have been joys too great to describe in words, and there have been griefs upon which I cannot dare to dwell; and with those in mind I say, 'Climb if you will, but remember that courage and strength are nought without prudence, and that a momentary negligence may destroy the happiness of a lifetime. Do nothing in haste, look well to each step, and from the beginning think what may be the end.'" - Edward Whymper

Postby blazebo » Mon Aug 06, 2012 9:11 pm

Runners or not if you are coming from sea level and go climb to 14000 be prepared for a wicked case of altitude sickness.

Postby SolarAlex » Mon Aug 06, 2012 9:17 pm

father dyer peak, just south of breck is a pretty cool outing

Postby TCUTED » Mon Aug 06, 2012 9:29 pm

SolarAlex wrote:father dyer peak, just south of breck is a pretty cool outing

+1 on this one