Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

Leap of Faith on Crestone Needle

Have an interesting or epic climbing story? Post it here.

Leap of Faith on Crestone Needle

Postby zxbraves » Mon Aug 06, 2012 12:23 am

***NOT RECOMMENDED***
***HIGHLY DANGEROUS***

Re: Leap of Faith on Crestone Needle

Postby Wish I lived in CO » Mon Aug 06, 2012 6:19 am

Unless I'm mistaken, that sure looks like the bottom of the cross-over from the west to east gulleys on the return down. To the down-climber's left would be the di-hedral upon landing.

Anyway, I seriously thought of doing that myself. Instead I did a modified version of it where I placed my left foot on a relatively wide foot hold and stepped over quickly in a committing fashion. Would never try that with more exposure; but here it's only 6 or 8 feet down (yeh ok, that's still enough for a bad day).

I haven't done Pyramid yet, so wonder how others rate / compare that more famed "lead of faith"
I look up to the mountains - does my help come from there? My help comes from the Lord, who made heaven and earth! Psalm 121:1-2

Postby metalmountain » Mon Aug 06, 2012 7:41 am

Wish I lived in CO wrote:Unless I'm mistaken, that sure looks like the bottom of the cross-over from the west to east gulleys on the return down. To the down-climber's left would be the di-hedral upon landing.

Anyway, I seriously thought of doing that myself. Instead I did a modified version of it where I placed my left foot on a relatively wide foot hold and stepped over quickly in a committing fashion. Would never try that with more exposure; but here it's only 6 or 8 feet down (yeh ok, that's still enough for a bad day).

I haven't done Pyramid yet, so wonder how others rate / compare that more famed "lead of faith"

The Leap of Faith on Pyramid is grossly overrated. If you are over 6 foot tall its more of a step over, and even if not the exposure is nothing like what the pictures make it out to be. One small little hop and you are over it. I felt like the move on the Needle actually required a little thought, while the leap on Pyramid was really not an issue in the least.
"The greatest battle is not physical but psychological. The demons telling us to give up when we push ourselves to the limit can never be silenced for good. They must always be answered by the quiet, steady dignity that simply refuses to give in. Courage. We all suffer. Keep going." - Graeme Fife

"I found that nothing truly matters, that you cannot find for free." - The Gaslight Anthem

Postby forbins_mtn » Mon Aug 06, 2012 7:49 am

i just did Pyramid yesterday, and was really disappointed in the leap of faith. L.A.M.E.

I was hoping to sweat a little bit and get a fast heart rate just looking at it. It's a step over, and I'm 5'9"

Postby djkest » Mon Aug 06, 2012 8:13 am

On saturday the "step over" move was a little interesting coming down... perhaps the "crux" of the downclimb. I was eventually able to stretch out and gently lower my foot to solid ground. It was pretty anti-climactic. I thought about jumping but it would have been awkward.
Life is a mountain, not a beach.
Exploring and Wine, my personal blog

Postby susanjoypaul » Mon Aug 06, 2012 8:41 am

Wish I lived in CO wrote:I haven't done Pyramid yet, so wonder how others rate / compare that more famed "lead of faith"

I did no leaping at all on Pyramid - or on Crestone Needle, for that matter - and I'm just 5'5".

Postby I Man » Mon Aug 06, 2012 8:46 am

metalmountain wrote:
Wish I lived in CO wrote:Unless I'm mistaken, that sure looks like the bottom of the cross-over from the west to east gulleys on the return down. To the down-climber's left would be the di-hedral upon landing.

The Leap of Faith on Pyramid is grossly overrated. If you are over 6 foot tall its more of a step over, and even if not the exposure is nothing like what the pictures make it out to be. One small little hop and you are over it. I felt like the move on the Needle actually required a little thought, while the leap on Pyramid was really not an issue in the least.

What wasn't overrated on that mountain? I am still sort of shocked.

Anyway - good job this weekend, it was awesome to climb some peaks together instead of just rock :D

We have unfinished business to take care of...
You can touch the void, just don't fall into it.

"I fly a starship across the universe divide....and when I reach the other side...I'll find a place to rest my spirit if I can. Perhaps I may become a Mountain Man again.

Postby SilverLynx » Mon Aug 06, 2012 2:54 pm

The standard route on the Needle felt like a playground to me. It's very consistent, mostly solid Class 3 from the first gully onward. The handholds reminded me of rock gym handholds. No leaping required. It feels more like you are "inside" of the mountain as opposed to skirting the "outside" of it like Longs.
"I learned that courage was not the absence of fear, but the triumph over it. The brave man is not he who does not feel afraid, but he who conquers that fear."
~Nelson Mandela

"Your time is limited, so don't waste it living someone else's life. Don't be trapped by dogma - which is living with the results of other people's thinking. Don't let the noise of others' opinions drown out your own inner voice. And most important, have the courage to follow your heart and intuition."
~Steve Jobs

Postby metalmountain » Mon Aug 06, 2012 3:09 pm

I Man wrote:
metalmountain wrote:

What wasn't overrated on that mountain? I am still sort of shocked.

Anyway - good job this weekend, it was awesome to climb some peaks together instead of just rock :D

We have unfinished business to take care of...

Fo sho! Those business plans are going in the file with that stupid 8,000 foot peak in Jeffco that spurned my advances.
"The greatest battle is not physical but psychological. The demons telling us to give up when we push ourselves to the limit can never be silenced for good. They must always be answered by the quiet, steady dignity that simply refuses to give in. Courage. We all suffer. Keep going." - Graeme Fife

"I found that nothing truly matters, that you cannot find for free." - The Gaslight Anthem

Postby dubsho3000 » Mon Aug 06, 2012 4:22 pm

I Man wrote:What wasn't overrated on that mountain? I am still sort of shocked.

The 1000' totally loose gully from hell

Postby I Man » Mon Aug 06, 2012 4:24 pm

dubsho3000 wrote:
I Man wrote:What wasn't overrated on that mountain? I am still sort of shocked.

The 1000' totally loose gully from hell

Agreed!

The first time I did it was in snow and all I kept thinking was "Wow - this is going to suck in the summer."

Descending from the ridge is without a doubt the crux of Pyramid.
You can touch the void, just don't fall into it.

"I fly a starship across the universe divide....and when I reach the other side...I'll find a place to rest my spirit if I can. Perhaps I may become a Mountain Man again.

Postby Taillon75 » Mon Aug 06, 2012 4:33 pm

Man! I cant believe I made it. So Extreme!
I hope everyone realized this is a joke!

Next