Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

I finally got a smartphone! Now what?

Information on 14ers.com Mobile apps.

Re: I finally got a smartphone! Now what?

Postby dave_navy_VA » Mon Jul 30, 2012 2:45 pm

A really cool app if you want to ID trees is LeafSnap which I think is now available for Android.

TNF Trailspace is another one.

NatGeo Trails too, but I don't know if its available for Androids yet.

Postby davebks » Mon Jul 30, 2012 3:27 pm

also get "planets" and "PeakAR"
planets is cool because you hold your phone up and it tells you all the stars and constellations about you.
Peaks is awesome. It tells you the names of all the peaks around you.
Of course 14ers app is sweet as well.
both are free

music? wolfgangs vault!!!

want to listen in on statewide emergency radios?? em.radio.free. awesome one to listen in on RMNP rescue, fire, police, etc.

Postby nyker » Mon Jul 30, 2012 6:47 pm

Thanks guys.

PeaksAR sounds cool.

Terry, that would only work when out of cell range right?

Has anyone (who owns a galaxy) found ways to reduce "cell standby" battery usage? I hear there may be a bug that the company will need to fix soon.

Postby gatornation » Tue Jul 31, 2012 10:07 am

I don't know what you call it, but when I bought my most recent phone, they sold me a reserve power source. I don't think it was very expensive. You charge it separately, and then you can plug it into the micro-usb on your phone and charge your phone. It holds way more than a full battery, and it's very lightweight. Might be worth checking into that to extend battery life.

Postby nyker » Sun Aug 05, 2012 5:18 pm

I think I'd need to carry a backpack full of batteries for this thing..

Postby bob863 » Sun Aug 05, 2012 6:48 pm

+1 for tmatthews suggestion of placing your smartphone in "airplane mode"...if you don't, your smartphone is constantly trying to connect to a cell phone tower (which on/around most 14'ers are few and far between) which will place a huge drain on your smartphone battery.....unfortunately, some smartphones/vendors require that your cell phone be in contact with a cell tower to allow your GPS functions/apps to work...

Postby ZooDude » Sun Aug 05, 2012 8:34 pm

I have an iPhone 4 and just got back from a week of 14ers. NeoTreksGPS is an excellent app. You have to download the maps of the quads you are in, so make sure you do that ahead of time. I found it to be extremely accurate and it even has most of the standard routes to most of the 14ers already preloaded on there, but be wary as we found one that wasn't updated. It also is has a very accurate altimeter embedded, we tested it often and found it to be +/- 10ft.

I also use a Joos Orange solar charging system. It totally rocks. A fully charged Joos can charge an iPhone 4 3 times over. It has a handy hole to be able to strap it to your backpack. I typically don't take it on summit days as it weighs in at a relatively beefy 2 pounds, I just leave it at camp and use it to make sure my iPhone is topped off before I head out each time. Works like a champ.

So there ya go, my 2 cents.

Postby Taillon75 » Sun Aug 05, 2012 9:54 pm

Throw it in the river and get an iPhone with a Mophie Battery Pack. Lasts for days.
Catchy saying from someone famous.

Postby nyker » Wed Aug 22, 2012 5:49 pm

Does anyone have recommendations for a compass App or a flashlight app?

Postby jdorje » Wed Aug 22, 2012 8:14 pm

nyker wrote:Does anyone have recommendations for a compass App or a flashlight app?

All compass apps suck. I wrote one that doesn't suck as much (beta version), but it still sucks - the android compass hardware just isn't good, is what it comes down to. A compass you can't rely on is really just a toy, and with the magnetometer you can never really be sure that you aren't 10 degrees off even after you "calibrate" it. Perhaps this will improve in the future, or even on some newer current phones. We can hope.

Flashlight apps, on the other hand, are an essential. The good ones turn on your camera flash, and actually make a quality amount of light. There are dozens that are all equally good, as far as I can tell (again, all they do is turn on your camera flash). Having one that automatically turns itself off after a while would probably be the prime hiking feature to look for.
-Jason Dorje Short

Postby CO Native » Wed Aug 22, 2012 8:17 pm

Get the Swiss Army Knife App. It has a flashlight, ruler, level, compass, timer, calculator, stopwatch, magnifying glass, and mirror.
Remember what your knees are for.
http://www.hikingintherockies.com

Postby nyker » Thu Aug 23, 2012 10:11 am

Looking at some of these now..

The Swiss Army app is pretty cool.

PreviousNext