Stupid Boulder Watershed

Colorado peak questions, condition requests and other info.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
    For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
Carl
14ers: 58  58 
13ers: 30
Trip Reports (32)

Re: Stupid Boulder Watershed

Post by Carl »

Mtn Geek wrote:How do you put a restraining order on somebody who's name online is "49ersrule" with a photo that probably not theirs. If caught it could be hard to prove it's them. Who's to say you caught the wrong or right guy?
Simply click on the profile or signature and a lot of folks (like this user and myself) will reveal their real name. Otherwise, the process is a subpoena duces tecum to 14ers.com to produce identifying information. Not that I think it would ever happen, although it is Boulder.
atalarico
14ers: 16  2 
13ers: 22
Trip Reports (5)

Post by atalarico »

I have heard the way to do it is during a full moon sans headlamp. Just what a little bird told me.

To be fair, they are protective of their watershed because water is a premium out here. I take the restrictions to mean that it keeps out the hoards, and if you're desire is deep enough...you'll find a way.

Be safe, people!
lukePlumley
14ers: 52 
13ers: 232
Trip Reports (0)

Post by lukePlumley »

Wheeler Basin on the west side of the Watershed is a beautiful place. We didn't see any mysterious researchers at all back there.
A White Gully might get you up to the divide from Wheeler Basin.
"Ain't nothing to it, Listsofjohn made me do it!" -- Ice Cube
boleslav
Trip Reports (0)

Post by boleslav »

Be careful, they use a dog to help them patrol, we watched them last weekend patroling the area from the slopes of Niwot Ridge and then drop down back to the restricted area
Brian C
14ers: 45  5 
13ers: 19
Trip Reports (25)

Post by Brian C »

boleslav wrote:Be careful, they use a dog to help them patrol, we watched them last weekend patroling the area from the slopes of Niwot Ridge and then drop down back to the restricted area
You sure they weren't "patrolling", aka taking their dog for a walk? I've heard several stories of employees abusing the closure and using it as a personal park.
Brian in the Wild
Lists of John
"Nature never did betray the heart that loved her." - Wordsworth
grhigh
14ers: 58 
13ers: 1
Trip Reports (0)

Post by grhigh »

Here's my official blog on this slippery subject:

http://summitsight.com/Project_Island_f ... shed.shtml" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

It's still not clear if the City of Boulder has fee simple title to this land.
What is clear that it is not very well protected.
Based on my experience with the Boulder City Council, it could be "sold" to the highest bidder.

Gerry Roach
DArcyS
14ers: 58 
13ers: 544
Trip Reports (3)

Post by DArcyS »

Here's where Caltopo's overlay feature is useful:

http://caltopo.com/map.html#ll=40.03402 ... &b=t&a=sma

The Forest Service land is shaded green, so it would appear the Boulder watershed is the remaining unshaded area.
Jeff Valliere
14ers: 58  1  15 
13ers: 9
Trip Reports (8)

Post by Jeff Valliere »

I just happened upon this thread. I occasionally ponder a few questions that may or may not be able to be answered with any accuracy, but FWIW, I have heard numerous, but unsubstantiated reports of the high summits of the watershed peaks being monitored/patrolled, but I just have a tough time believing it. I can see the lower eastern portions being routinely patrolled, near the lakes and critical areas, places that are easily accessible (easily for both patrollers and riff raff), but paying somebody to focus their efforts on the summits seems unlikely, given the fact that so few people ever attempt to visit them. It just seems like a waste of resources, in hopes of what? To catch the occasional peak bagger who is posing no threat or causing any harm?