Above the Clouds

Have an interesting or epic climbing story? Post it here.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
djkest
14ers: 58 
13ers: 19
Trip Reports (44)

Re: Above the Clouds

Post by djkest »

TCUTED wrote:Not to be a downer or poo poo anything, but I'm always a bit skeptical of those low level layers predicted a week out, especially from the GFS.
Well, it certainly happened in the Sangre De Cristos on Saturday! It was fantastic.
Life is a mountain, not a beach.
Exploring and Wine, my personal blog
TCUTED
Trip Reports (4)

Post by TCUTED »

djkest wrote:
TCUTED wrote:Not to be a downer or poo poo anything, but I'm always a bit skeptical of those low level layers predicted a week out, especially from the GFS.
Well, it certainly happened in the Sangre De Cristos on Saturday! It was fantastic.
It looks like there was some along the front range too! This is one of those cases where I am actually happy to be wrong! Get any pictures?
bonehead
Trip Reports (0)

Post by bonehead »

djkest wrote:Well, it certainly happened in the Sangre De Cristos on Saturday! It was fantastic.
East or West side for that above the clouds thing?
We were on Comanche Peak Friday, and enjoyed beautiful stable weather.
A cold front was predicted to move in about midnight. I didn't notice.
The eastern side of the range did not benefit from the weather change.
(No rain or moisture that is)
Attachments
Commanche1.jpg
Commanche1.jpg (202.42 KiB) Viewed 3227 times
Frontrangeskier
14ers: 54  8  1 
13ers: 83 16
Trip Reports (5)

Post by Frontrangeskier »

Summit of Lobuche with Ama Dablam over my head.
Summit of Lobuche with Ama Dablam over my head.
601630_3714517394015_1705864842_n.jpg (44.78 KiB) Viewed 3210 times
Catchy saying from someone famous.
djkest
Trip Reports (44)

Post by djkest »

TCUTED wrote:
djkest wrote:
It looks like there was some along the front range too! This is one of those cases where I am actually happy to be wrong! Get any pictures?
Sure I do. It was short-lived and to the south. These were taken from Crestone Peak around 7:45 AM. Unfortunately I was too distracted to take a lot of pics..

Unknown person on Crestone Needle's summit with the background all low-level clouds

Spanish peaks rise through the clouds
bonehead
Trip Reports (0)

Post by bonehead »

Stupid
Deleted
Last edited by bonehead on Mon Aug 06, 2012 8:51 am, edited 1 time in total.
bonehead
Trip Reports (0)

Post by bonehead »

djkest
Thanks for the Excellent pictures.
djkest
Trip Reports (44)

Post by djkest »

Couple more. This is East Crestone I believe from Crestone Peak.

Huge Panorama: NE Crestone, Colony Baldy, E Crestone, Crestone Needle, Broken Hand Peak, Blanca Group, and more.

Too bad I didn't have a good camera on me at the time.
emt0229
14ers: 11 
Trip Reports (0)

Post by emt0229 »

Thanks for all of the pics...they really are beautiful. Like Anatoli said, "Mountains are cathedrals: grand and pure, the houses of my religion. I go to them as humans go to worship. From their lofty summits, I view my past, dream of the future, and with unusual acuity I am allowed to experience the present moment. My strength renewed, my vision cleared, in the mountains I celebrate creation. On each journey, I am reborn.
JenGa
13ers: 27
Trip Reports (4)

Post by JenGa »

Last month my friend and I were hiking down from the summit ridge on South Maroon and got caught in a rainstorm. After hurrying down the lower ridge the sun came out and we saw this rainbow below us in the valley.
rainbow on marron.jpg
rainbow on marron.jpg (114.48 KiB) Viewed 3106 times