Rinker to Blaurock Ridge

Colorado peak questions, condition requests and other info.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
    For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
kaiman
Trip Reports (10)

Re: Rinker to Blaurock Ridge

Post by kaiman »

anna wrote:Anyone have any information or decent photos of the ridge connecting Rinker and Blaurock? What little I've found so far indicates probably class 3, but thought I'd ask in case anyone knows more. If not, guess I'll go take a look tomorrow. :D
I looked at that ridge when climbing Ervin/Blaurock a couple years ago and would concur with your assessment that it is Class 3. It's hard to tell how loose/difficult it is though and I didn't have time to investigate it any further as clouds were beginning to role in over Huron and the Apostles when I was there and wanted to get off the top before things cut loose...

Have you looked at the Summit Post pages for Ervin and Blaurock and Rinker to see if they have any pictures that may give you some clues?

kaiman
"I want to keep the mountains clean of racism, religion and politics. In the mountains this should play no role."

- Joe Stettner

"I haven't climbed Everest, skied to the poles, or sailed single-handed around the world. The goals I set out to accomplish aren't easily measured or quantified by world records or "firsts." The reasons I climb, and the climbs I do, are about more than distance or altitude, they are about breaking barriers within myself."

- Andy Kirkpatrick
Presto
14ers: 58  6 
13ers: 308 21
Trip Reports (6)

Post by Presto »

Here's a shot from Blaurock, but I don't know that it will do you much good ... that's Willis Lake below (and Hope on the right) and you can see the ridge coming over (on your left) from Twin Peaks/Rinker.
Attachments
99176.jpg
99176.jpg (136.9 KiB) Viewed 664 times
As if none of us have ever come back with a cool, quasi-epic story instead of being victim to tragic rockfall, a fatal stumble, a heart attack, an embolism, a lightning strike, a bear attack, collapsing cornice, some psycho with an axe, a falling tree, carbon monoxide, even falling asleep at the wheel getting to a mountain. If you can't accept the fact that sometimes "s**t happens", then you live with the illusion that your epic genius and profound wilderness intelligence has put you in total and complete control of yourself, your partners, and the mountain. How mystified you'll be when "s**t happens" to you! - FM
Kevin Baker
14ers: 58  53 
13ers: 674 32
Trip Reports (125)

Post by Kevin Baker »

Anna:

I did it with snow on both sides of the ridge, which make it spicier as there are a few towers that are very loose. I'm sure it can easily be kept at class 3 when dry though. Fun little ridge and Blaurock seemed to have a ton of false summits!

Have fun,
Kevin
Always do what you are afraid to do. -Ralph Waldo Emerson
Kevin Baker
14ers: 58  53 
13ers: 674 32
Trip Reports (125)

Post by Kevin Baker »

Yes, I was referring to Ervin to Blaurock!
Always do what you are afraid to do. -Ralph Waldo Emerson
illusion7il
14ers: 58  2  57 
13ers: 261 1 1
Trip Reports (4)

Post by illusion7il »

So does anyone know the consensus / class difficulty of the Rinker to Blaurock ridge?

I've searched all over and can't seem to find out if this ridge "goes" or not.
SnowAlien
14ers: 58  57  58 
13ers: 652 118 15
Trip Reports (111)

Post by SnowAlien »

Doesn't look too bad (maybe just the last bit looks tricky). Photo is taken from Rinker recently. Oh and if you can, bring the register jar/can for Rinker, the current one is broken.
Attachments
Rinker.jpg
Rinker.jpg (115.47 KiB) Viewed 389 times
illusion7il
14ers: 58  2  57 
13ers: 261 1 1
Trip Reports (4)

Post by illusion7il »

Thanks for info SnowAlien. I put in a new but very generic summit register on Rinker. I checked out the ridge for about 20 minutes and it was very slow going, but once I saw a clear route up the NE face I retreated off the ridge and shot up a dirty couloir to the summit ridge. However there was a signature in the summit register that said "from Rinker" I did snap a few pics...
Attachments
CaptureBlaurock2 (752x406).jpg
CaptureBlaurock2 (752x406).jpg (250.99 KiB) Viewed 332 times
CaptureBlaurock (390x692).jpg
CaptureBlaurock (390x692).jpg (288.83 KiB) Viewed 332 times