Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

Rinker to Blaurock Ridge

Colorado 13er questions, conditions, and other info should be posted here. Also includes topics related to 13ers.com. 13er Trip Reports

Re: Rinker to Blaurock Ridge

Postby kaiman » Thu Aug 02, 2012 4:30 pm

anna wrote:Anyone have any information or decent photos of the ridge connecting Rinker and Blaurock? What little I've found so far indicates probably class 3, but thought I'd ask in case anyone knows more. If not, guess I'll go take a look tomorrow. :D

I looked at that ridge when climbing Ervin/Blaurock a couple years ago and would concur with your assessment that it is Class 3. It's hard to tell how loose/difficult it is though and I didn't have time to investigate it any further as clouds were beginning to role in over Huron and the Apostles when I was there and wanted to get off the top before things cut loose...

Have you looked at the Summit Post pages for Ervin and Blaurock and Rinker to see if they have any pictures that may give you some clues?

kaiman
"I want to keep the mountains clean of racism, religion and politics. In the mountains this should play no role."

- Joe Stettner

"Climb if you will, but remember that courage and strength are nought without prudence, and that a momentary negligence may destroy the happiness of a lifetime. Do nothing in haste; look well to each step; and from the beginning think what may be the end."

- Edward Whymper

Postby Presto » Thu Aug 02, 2012 4:37 pm

Here's a shot from Blaurock, but I don't know that it will do you much good ... that's Willis Lake below (and Hope on the right) and you can see the ridge coming over (on your left) from Twin Peaks/Rinker.
Attachments
99176.jpg
99176.jpg (136.9 KiB) Viewed 227 times
As if none of us have ever come back with a cool, quasi-epic story instead of being victim to tragic rockfall, a fatal stumble, a heart attack, an embolism, a lightning strike, a bear attack, collapsing cornice, some psycho with an axe, a falling tree, carbon monoxide, even falling asleep at the wheel getting to a mountain. If you can't accept the fact that sometimes "s**t happens", then you live with the illusion that your epic genius and profound wilderness intelligence has put you in total and complete control of yourself, your partners, and the mountain. How mystified you'll be when "s**t happens" to you! - FM

Postby Kevin Baker » Thu Aug 02, 2012 8:14 pm

Anna:

I did it with snow on both sides of the ridge, which make it spicier as there are a few towers that are very loose. I'm sure it can easily be kept at class 3 when dry though. Fun little ridge and Blaurock seemed to have a ton of false summits!

Have fun,
Kevin
Always do what you are afraid to do. -Ralph Waldo Emerson

Postby Kevin Baker » Fri Aug 03, 2012 5:56 pm

Yes, I was referring to Ervin to Blaurock!
Always do what you are afraid to do. -Ralph Waldo Emerson