Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

Just finished the best book I have ever read.

Need a climbing partner? Trying to form a hiking group for an outing?

Re: Just finished the best book I have ever read.

Postby I Man » Wed Aug 01, 2012 4:02 pm

kushrocks wrote:
Dave B wrote:I also found it to be quite an interesting perspective on Jon Krakauer, especially after having read Anatoli Boukreev's The Climb, his account of the '96 Everest disaster which casts Krakauer in much less stellar of a light than Into Thin Air

Totally agree. Reading The Climb was a huge eye opener and possibly one of my favorite books especially after Anatoli along with other key witnesses proves Krakauer's account of the 1996 disaster wrong multiple times. Into Thin Air is now a joke to me. Anatoli may have made some mistakes but he also saved the lives of several climbers in -100 wind chill when no one else not even the sherpas had the strength to assist . . . oh and this was after climbing Mt. Everest without bottled O's. I dont care what anyone says Anatoli is an absolute bad ass and a hero in my eyes. When he died on Annapurna the world lost one of the best climbers of all time.

+ a million man!!!!! Anatoli is my idol. I assume you have read Above the Clouds?

I remember posting on the Facebook page to commemorate the 14th anniversary of Toli's death a while back and your comment.

What an incredible human being with a poetic soul. I've never felt so much like I knew someone that i never met.
You can touch the void, just don't fall into it.

"I fly a starship across the universe divide....and when I reach the other side...I'll find a place to rest my spirit if I can. Perhaps I may become a Mountain Man again.

Postby GeorgiaTyler » Wed Aug 01, 2012 4:06 pm

Oh yeah, I got that moments of doubt confused with mountain of my fear, I want to read all of it.

Ha, and yes I guess the awkward love making scenes could have held less details...that was a bit weird. I actually just bought ‘the climb’ and I’m curious also to see how Krakauer is portrayed also, Cool stories about him in ‘on the ridge’. Being a Rock/ice Climber/ aspiring weekend mountaineer def. makes these stories really come to life.

Postby I Man » Wed Aug 01, 2012 4:09 pm

GeorgiaTyler wrote:Oh yeah, I got that moments of doubt confused with mountain of my fear, I want to read all of it.

Ha, and yes I guess the awkward love making scenes could have held less details...that was a bit weird. I actually just bought ‘the climb’ and I’m curious also to see how Krakauer is portrayed also, Cool stories about him in ‘on the ridge’. Being a Rock/ice Climber/ aspiring weekend mountaineer def. makes these stories really come to life.

If you find a copy of Mountain of My Fear, PLEASE let me know :shock:
You can touch the void, just don't fall into it.

"I fly a starship across the universe divide....and when I reach the other side...I'll find a place to rest my spirit if I can. Perhaps I may become a Mountain Man again.

Postby ulvetano » Wed Aug 01, 2012 6:48 pm

Thanks All - I just made a 'bulk' order of the aforementioned books!

Postby KizH » Wed Aug 01, 2012 9:09 pm

Kushrock said,

Totally agree. Reading The Climb was a huge eye opener and possibly one of my favorite books especially after Anatoli along with other key witnesses proves Krakauer's account of the 1996 disaster wrong multiple times. Into Thin Air is now a joke to me. Anatoli may have made some mistakes but he also saved the lives of several climbers in -100 wind chill when no one else not even the sherpas had the strength to assist . . . oh and this was after climbing Mt. Everest without bottled O's. I dont care what anyone says Anatoli is an absolute bad ass and a hero in my eyes. When he died on Annapurna the world lost one of the best climbers of all time.

I Man wrote,

+ a million man!!!!! Anatoli is my idol. I assume you have read Above the Clouds?
What an incredible human being with a poetic soul. I've never felt so much like I knew someone that i never met

+1 more-- I completely agree. I feel fortunate that "Into Thin Air" and "Above The Clouds" were the two first mountaineering books I
checked out (well, except for "The Ledge" and Greg Mortenson's books). Anyway, after reading both books, I headed straight
back to the library and checked out "The Climb." I couldn't agree more with Kushrock and I Man on all counts, especially that Boukreev
was heroic and a certified, card-carrying bad..., a poetic soul, and someone I felt I knew and connected with without having met. (that part
felt weird-- feeling a connection with someone and then realizing they'd been gone for years-- so it was good to read someone else
felt that way, too). I guess connecting like that is part of what makes a person legendary.

Speaking of Anatoli's writing versus Jon Krakauer's-- I couldn't agree more. Someone had recommended that I read what Jon Krakauer
had written about Greg Mortenson, and based on the perspective I gained from reading "The Climb," it won't be necessary. To me,
both Jon Krakauer and the person who recommended his writing have lost a lot of credibility. (I realize a third perspective was
mentioned in this thread-- I 'll look that book up, too).

I plan on using what I learned from Anatoli's writing about acclimatization when I get out to start hiking my fourteeners.

Thanks, Georgia, for a great thread-- I'll put "Moments of Doubt" and "On The Edge" on my list.
And thanks, Kushrocks and I Man for your posts.

Postby andyr354 » Thu Aug 02, 2012 3:57 am

I have this on my TBR pile, guess it will get moved to the top.

Thanks for reminding me. Was going to read a book on John Wesley Powell next.

Postby Hungry Jack » Thu Aug 02, 2012 5:32 am

Check out "The White Spider", the story of the first ascent of the north face of the Eiger.

"Touching the Void" is an incredible story of surviving a fall and literally crawling off a mountain.

Postby mtndude3737 » Thu Aug 02, 2012 8:07 am

Just purchased "The Climb" - Thanks, I Man.

The White Spider is amazing. Watch "7 Years in Tibet" sometime to get a cool perspective on Heinrich Harrer. It took me a while to put 2 and 2 together that it was the same guy. Along the lines of The White Spider, is "North Face" (Nordwand). You can get it on Netflix, it is in German with subtitles, and shows where the name "Hinterstoisser Traverse" got its' name.

And I gotta mention "Free Spirit" by Reinhold Messner, and the great classic, "Annapurna" by Maurice Herzog.

Ok, I will shut up now.
What is there, beyond the mountain, if not the man? - Walter Bonatti

The simpler you make things, the richer the experience becomes. - Steve House

Postby SurfNTurf » Thu Aug 02, 2012 8:14 am

mtndude3737 wrote:Read "7 Years in Tibet" sometime...

Fixed that for you. Sorry. English nerd.

I do agree with North Face as far as movies go. Probably my second-favorite alpine flick, behind only the great masterpiece of our time: Vertical Limit.

Regarding Boukreev vs. Krakauer, keep in mind that both of them were involved in the situation and both of them are human. One doesn't necessarily have to be an a**hole liar and the other unequivocally right. They're going to have skewed perspectives, and it's not hard to find sources to corroborate your story if you ignore enough people who don't. :wink: Journalists aren't generally allowed to be the subject of their own articles for a reason. Striving to be objective might be an impossible goal, but good journalists at least give it their best shot. Did either Krakauer or Boukreev write a completely factual, objective book about such an intricate situation while also setting aside their egos to portray themselves in an honest light? I sincerely doubt it. I also sincerely doubt either lied maliciously; they simply wrote what they knew and believed according to the "facts" available to them at the time.
Many Miles to Go (Blog)

“There are two kinds of climbers: those who climb because their heart sings when they’re in the mountains, and all the rest.” - Alex Lowe

"There have been joys too great to describe in words, and there have been griefs upon which I cannot dare to dwell; and with those in mind I say, 'Climb if you will, but remember that courage and strength are nought without prudence, and that a momentary negligence may destroy the happiness of a lifetime. Do nothing in haste, look well to each step, and from the beginning think what may be the end.'" - Edward Whymper

Postby mtndude3737 » Thu Aug 02, 2012 8:34 am

SurfNTurf wrote:
mtndude3737 wrote:Read "7 Years in Tibet" sometime...

Fixed that for you. Sorry. English nerd.

Well, I was referring to the fact that I watched "Seven Years in Tibet" the movie, and didn't read the book. My bad. It would be better to picture Mr. Harrer as he really is by reading the book, instead of as Brad Pitt. Good catch.
What is there, beyond the mountain, if not the man? - Walter Bonatti

The simpler you make things, the richer the experience becomes. - Steve House

Postby SurfNTurf » Thu Aug 02, 2012 8:40 am

mtndude3737 wrote:Well, I was referring to the fact that I watched "Seven Years in Tibet" the movie, and didn't read the book. My bad. It would be better to picture Mr. Harrer as he really is by reading the book, instead of as Brad Pitt. Good catch.

Oh I know, I was just being an ass and jokingly playing the "book is always better than the movie" card. The movie version is a classic in its own right.
Many Miles to Go (Blog)

“There are two kinds of climbers: those who climb because their heart sings when they’re in the mountains, and all the rest.” - Alex Lowe

"There have been joys too great to describe in words, and there have been griefs upon which I cannot dare to dwell; and with those in mind I say, 'Climb if you will, but remember that courage and strength are nought without prudence, and that a momentary negligence may destroy the happiness of a lifetime. Do nothing in haste, look well to each step, and from the beginning think what may be the end.'" - Edward Whymper

PreviousNext