Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

2012 Fall Gathering

Need a climbing partner? Trying to form a hiking group for an outing?

2012 Fall Gathering

Postby KeithK » Wed Aug 01, 2012 7:17 am

Three years in the making… the 2012 Fall Gathering makes its first appearance in the Elk Range!

When? Saturday, September 22, 5:00 p.m. It’s not about the climb, it’s about the camaraderie!

Where exactly? Marble, Colorado, near the banks of the Crystal River. See attached map for approximate location. We will have signs and a banner or two in place.
GPS coordinates: 39° 4'19.69"N
107°12'20.34"W

2-way radio frequency: 14.14

I'd like to offer a HUGE thank you to Craig (giarcd), who has been working recon on this since May, talking to landowners and making sure that this location will accomodate our needs.

Why this location? The Gatherings are getting bigger and bigger, and good locations are harder and harder to come by. We’ve done the most obvious areas, sometimes twice, and it’s time to get outside of the box and explore! This location affords the die-hard 14ers-are-all-there-is crowd with choices, and also gives the adventure seekers some options. The fall colors of McClure Pass and the area in general are some of the best in Colorado, and that is a part of why we have a Fall Gathering in the first place!

What to climb?
Treasure/Treasury Mountains, from the Yule Creek Trail, just outside of Marble. More information will need to be obtained, so feel free to get on your research hat and get after it!
Mt. Sopris (my pick) – just down the road a bit and one of the most impressive peaks in all of Colorado. If you want perspective on the Roaring Fork Valley and a view of the Elks unlike any other, this should be your choice!
Snowmass Mountain – It is the 14ers.com Fall Gathering after all, so a 14er has to be in play. Lead King Basin is right over the hill from the campsite, so if you’re determined to get a 14er fix, the S-Ridge is right there in all of its glory!
Other 13ers and 14ers are within your grasp. Do your research and set out on whatever adventure most suits your desires. Just be sure to get back to camp to stake your claim at the best campsites, and enjoy an evening around the fire getting to know people, old and new friends alike!

Many of us will be in the area on Friday, so feel free to make it a three day weekend. We’ll congregate on Friday evening to talk about our climbing plans, get out and enjoy the day on Saturday, and then reconvene for the real gathering Saturday night. If you’re unsure what you’d like to climb, you’re welcome to start a new thread with the intention of coordinating with other climbers, but this thread serves as the “official” thread of the gathering. Remember, this event is informal and unofficial, and everyone is responsible for their safety, security and stewardship. Pack it in, pack it out and leave little to no trace! If you choose to be an adult and drink adult beverages, do the right thing, give your keys to someone else. Let’s add this one to an already stellar string of unforgettable gatherings!

fallgathering_star.jpg
First right after Serpentine Trail, down the dirt track a ways to near the Crystal River.
fallgathering_star.jpg (347.22 KiB) Viewed 2161 times

fallgathering_zoomedout.jpg
High level view of the area. Take 133 south from Carbondale.
fallgathering_zoomedout.jpg (83.79 KiB) Viewed 2161 times
Last edited by KeithK on Sun Sep 16, 2012 6:51 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Re: 2012 Fall Gathering

Postby ajkagy » Wed Aug 01, 2012 7:21 am

really nice location for fall colors and right in my back yard!
http://www.resortbeta.com - An interactive ski/snowboard experience for all your favorite ski resorts.

Postby Matt » Wed Aug 01, 2012 7:24 am

Great idea and location! Beautiful area, lots of peaks, great place to camp. This looks like a winner.

KeithK wrote:this thread serves as the “official” thread of the gathering. Remember, this event is informal and unofficial
:lol:
We are all greater artists than we realize -FWN
A man is rich in proportion to the number of things he can afford to let alone. -HDT
Peak List

Postby Nightwolf » Wed Aug 01, 2012 7:33 am

I am so bummed I cannot make it. Hope you all have a blast!

Postby EmmaM » Wed Aug 01, 2012 7:39 am

Woop diddy, what great planning! Thanks so much to all who dedicated time and resources to plan this! =D>

Postby kara » Wed Aug 01, 2012 7:41 am

Pretty sure this bumps the already-planned Bells Traverse from the calendar. Although, with just a little bit of tweaking... Nice work, as always, all!!
Mountains have a way of dealing with overconfidence. --Hermann Buhl

Postby RJansen77 » Wed Aug 01, 2012 8:01 am

Thanks for organizing, Keith! Hoping to make it to this one.
"But it doesn't matter if your in Valdez skiing out of a helicopter, or putzing around on a flat hill somewhere in Iowa. That adrenaline rush comes when you satisfy your most basic instinct, your own search for freedom."

-Warren Miller

I almost always wear a bathing suit when I climb. If you see me say hey!

Postby djkest » Wed Aug 01, 2012 8:02 am

Pretty cool! We "need" the Snowmass so we might come out for this. Would be excellent to meet all you folks.

Where are we going to set up the shooting range?
Life is a mountain, not a beach.
Exploring and Wine, my personal blog

Postby GregMiller » Wed Aug 01, 2012 8:04 am

I should be there with a couple buddies, can't wait to meet everyone!
Still Here
been scared and battered. My hopes the wind done scattered. Snow has friz me, Sun has baked me,
Looks like between 'em they done Tried to make me
Stop laughin', stop lovin', stop livin'-- But I don't care! I'm still here!
Langston Hughes

Postby ketel1 » Wed Aug 01, 2012 8:10 am

Great job, Keith and all others! I absolutely love this area, this plan...it all works. I am in!
Beth
"So many of our dreams at first seem impossible, then they seem improbable, and then, when we summon the will, they soon become inevitable." ~Christopher Reeve

Postby d_baker » Wed Aug 01, 2012 8:14 am

This is BIG news. The Return of KeithK.
And he's going to, what? He's going to hike a <gasp> 12er?! Oh my.
The world is coming to an end. The sky is falling. Look out, it's a sign of the looming apocalypse.

I thought there was a gathering in the Elks before? Or was that the W Elks?

[just imagine all those words above are in pink, 'kay?]

Postby I Man » Wed Aug 01, 2012 8:23 am

Well now I am interested :)

Siberia Peak....hmmm....

EDIT: Ugh...I have a wedding that weekend apparently :?
Last edited by I Man on Wed Aug 01, 2012 8:26 am, edited 1 time in total.
You can touch the void, just don't fall into it.

"I fly a starship across the universe divide....and when I reach the other side...I'll find a place to rest my spirit if I can. Perhaps I may become a Mountain Man again.

Next